• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Getting our New Puppy Tomorrow

love2driveinct

Well, we decided to tell the kids ahead of time -- I was thinking of doing that, anyway, but after what everyone said it seemed like the best way to go. We told them over the weekend and then took a trip to the pet store to buy some supplies. The kids especially enjoyed looking at bowls and toys. They are very excited!

We have talked to them a lot (in bits & pieces, so we can keep their attention) about what will be required to care for him, and all of the things we need to do to keep him safe.

The hardest part is picking out a name! It's hard to get five people to agree. :roll: We have a list, hope to narrow it down to two or three, then we'll wait till we get him home to decide what suits him.

Can't wait to join in on the discussions here as an official Cavalier owner! Hope everyone has a great week.

Cari

Great news - I hope you managed to find a breeder who is health testing and has shown you the certificates to prove that too.

We look forward to photos of the puppy :grin:

It's easier to pick a name once you actually meet puppy - the breeder may well have been calling them something that suits them - that happened with us, and of course Rupert stayed as Rupert - nothing else would have suited him!!

Good luck tomorrow night!

I always found that to be the hardest part! Once all the excitement was over and it was time for the puppy to go to sleep...I hate hearing them howl!

Ahhh a new puppy! Congrats!!

The same thing happened when I got Sparky, I was going to call him Ollie or Ozzie but his breeder had nicnamed him Sparky & as he was a mental puppy & wired to the moon Sparky suited him! When I adopted Lucy from work (Dogs Trust) she didnt have a name & I had been calling her Coco for the first few hours but then everyone in work to me that we had had too many Coco's on the system so I had a rethink. When Sparky was younger for some reason if you ever said 'Lucy' in the house he would go mad looking for 'Lucy' (which was odd as we dont know anyone canine or human called Lucy!) so Lucy became Lucy & is now known as Juicy Lucy or Loopy Lucy! Also with Lucy she seemed to react to the name so it might be an idea if you have a shortlist of names to say them near the pup & see if he reacts to any of them?

Good luck with the naming!!

That is so exciting! Remember to take bunches of pictures and share them. I don't have any pictures of Ella as a puppy? Don't know what happened.

As for a name, I think the name comes to you and I think personally its better to wait to get one that matches personality. I am sure your children will give you their opinions :)

I named my first dog flip ( I was 9) no idea where that came from!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Great news - I hope you managed to find a breeder who is health testing and has shown you the certificates to prove that too.

We look forward to photos of the puppy :grin:

It's easier to pick a name once you actually meet puppy - the breeder may well have been calling them something that suits them - that happened with us, and of course Rupert stayed as Rupert - nothing else would have suited him!!

Yes, very comfortable with the breeder I picked! She emailed me copies of the certificates and I've already seen the pedigrees. I also conferred with Anne Eckersley and feel confident that I've made a great choice.

Thanks everyone! We are thrilled and filled with anticipation here at our house.

Pretty sure we're not going to stick the breeder's name for him, though, since it's not very catchy. I personally prefer simple names that end in a long e sound -- dogs always seem to respond well to those. (Although I've known plenty of dogs with names like Mafia, Seamus, Mario, and Winston, and they seem to like their names, too!)

We're a pretty down-to-earth family (and currently living on a farm with horses, cows, goats, and chickens), so we're thinking of basic names like Rusty, Teddy, Buddy, Brady, or Percy. He's a blenheim, so I think my favorite is Rusty, but I'm not the only vote! :roll:

We're a pretty down-to-earth family (and currently living on a farm with horses, cows, goats, and chickens), so we're thinking of basic names like Rusty, Teddy, Buddy, Brady, or Percy. He's a blenheim, so I think my favorite is Rusty, but I'm not the only vote! :roll:

Great news - so pleased you have managed to find a puppy from health tested parents :D

On the subject of names, I can highly recommend the name Teddy :lotsaluv::lotsaluv:

If he turns out to be even half as special as my Teddy, he will be a fantastic dog and very precious.

My Teddy was a Ruby - but I think it suits any Cavalier colour.

I like the name Teddy too! My mother has a dark brown English Cocker Spaniel named Teddy whom I love!

My husband started to like the name Teddy when he realized we could name him after Tedy Bruschi, the retired Patriots football player. Did you notice Brady on the list, too? ;)

My husband started to like the name Teddy when he realized we could name him after Tedy Bruschi, the retired Patriots football player. Did you notice Brady on the list, too? ;)

Ooo just picked that up! We are big Patriots and Red Sox fans! My husband would have loved to name Chamberlain the "Passion" or "Ortiz" or "Schilling!" :-D

We have a 6 y/o blenheim named Rusty. When we once visited a pet store with our then 3 year old son, we saw a dog named Rusty and saw how much our son liked it. Of course, we didn't buy from a pet store but, when we went to a breeder a year later, we knew we would name him Rusty.

But don't pick a name that sounds like one of the family members. We have another son named Justin and when we are calling him (or Rusty), it gets confusing. Friends with a husband named Ari nixed the dog name Ollie for the same reason. Good luck!

Teddy is such a cute name. After all, Cavaliers are just cuddly adorable Teddy Bears. You must be so excited, can't wait to see some photos.

:-D

Ohh congrats! Nothing more awful than going through the anxiety and anticipation of bringing home your new baby. But oh how it feels great to get them home :)

I like the name Teddy, but honestly with your lifestyle, Rusty seems like a rugged and outdoorsy name. I really like it. Teddy is sweet and cute, Rusty is ready to go, play, and be a farm dog!

Good luck with choosing a name. My puppy was just named "Puppy" for almost two whole weeks before we decided on Coco :p

Thanks everyone! At least I know we are considering names that most people would react positively to.

Chamberlain -- when you mentioned you were flying home and the flight was short, I wondered if you were from New England. So are we, just living in Maryland temporarily. We are from southeastern CT and I grew up in MA on the South Shore.

Anticipation is building, but I feel like I have so much left to do! After reading Dr. Dunbar's tips, I had to make another run to Petsmart to get some Kongs and freeze-dried liver treats. I'm still setting things up and washing things, and I still have to make dinner, bring my son to basketball practice, and get the crock-pot ready for tomorrow since I'll be gone all day. And somewhere in there I'll hopefully catch some of the football game.

When we got Rylie I let everyone have a vote on the name but mine was the only one that counted:badgrin: My son only lives at home during the summer so his vote of Brutus got discounted and my husband really didn't care.

Somewhat off topic...I PM'ed you a few days ago asking about breeders as I'm browsing for breeders in the US. I think you may not have noticed, they aren't prominent if you don't know where to look. But I'm extremely curious now because one breeder that I've contacted had a male Blenheim who would be ready to go home on the seventh. We aren't allowed to discuss breeders in the forum, so please send by private message.

Congratulations on the new puppy, they are such a joy.

Well, we are home! Everything went great. I was showered with attention from all of the Cavaliers at the breeder's house, and I knew at the moment that I was truly in love with this breed. :luv:

We haven't named him yet, calling him "baby" or "puppy" for now until we see what he is like. Will probably settle on something within a day or so.

Right now he's trying out some short-term confinement in his crate, with his kong stuffed with kibble. He's still whiney and confused right now, but I wanted to get him used to the routine as quickly as possible.

The kids are thrilled -- all said that he was cuter in person than they could've imagined!

Cari

I can't wait to see pictures!

What's his coloring?

I didn't take me more then a day to fall in love with the breed too!

Last edited:
Back