• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy Days -- Playpen/Crate/Bed set-up?

love2driveinct

So it's been a lonnggg time since I've had a puppy in the house and it's a bit of a blur for me now. I remember crate-training our puppy and him picking up on housetraining really quick (he was a sheltie), but I don't remember a lot of other details. And there are a lot more products and set-ups available now than there was in 1994.

So tell me, what worked for you? Did you strictly crate-train? Was your puppy in the crate at all times when he wasn't supervised? Or did you set up a playpen area for him for when you were home but couldn't keep a close eye on him? What did you put in the playpen -- a bed, or his crate with the door open?

I bought a wire crate but it probably won't fit in the playpen, a little too big. So I was thinking of just a bed. Or I could put the carrier I bought in there, but I'm afraid he might chew it?

Just found a Sturdibag on clearance at Petsmart, I think that's what I'm going to bring him home in tomorrow.

Cari

Have you downloaded the free books from Ian Dunbar?

We recommend these for EVERYONE with a dog - but most especially new puppies. He has a fantastic set up for puppies - it has been proven to work over and over again.

http://dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

Before and After you get your puppy

When I bought home Chamberlain I hadn't started my new job, so I had three weeks to devote to him and to potty training.

We bought a crate appropriate to his size (I didn't want to buy one too big because I didn't want him to mess on one side and then move to the other side of the crate to sleep.)

We placed him by our bed and listened to him whine all night. I woke up at least every two and half hours and took him out. This went on at least a week and half. He has never had an accident in his crate and I think this is because I was hyper vigilant about it.

We also limited his exposure to just the kitchen and he was only allowed in the living room after he had been out and when we could watch him. We put up a baby gate in the kitchen and would leave him in there for short amount of times (after making sure he went potty) when we could not watch him.

Just take him out first thing in the morning, after he eats, sleeps, plays ect. When in doubt, take him out! Also don’t rush them, he may pee right away but take a little longer to poo. After a week or so you will get to know his bathroom signs!

Chamberlain is 95% housebroken and we haven't had an accident in two weeks. (We have only had him just shy of two months) I can count on one hand how many accidents he has had in the house. A part of me thinks this is because he is the smartest puppy in the world, but I know the real reason is that I was consistent and had time to spend with him.

PS I am flying home with my Cavalier and I bought a Sturdibag and it works great!

Have you downloaded the free books from Ian Dunbar?

We recommend these for EVERYONE with a dog - but most especially new puppies. He has a fantastic set up for puppies - it has been proven to work over and over again.

http://dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

Before and After you get your puppy

Oh my gosh, I'm about 1/3 of the way through this and it is GREAT! Thank you so much for recommending it.

I'm laughing out loud right now because I just read these lines:
What should I do if I've done all the above and I catch the puppy in the act of making a mistake?
Pick up a rolled newspaper and give yourself a smack!
:rotfl:

Back