• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weepy Eyes

Chamberlain

Chamberlain has weepy eyes, my vet told me to wipe them with warm water but I was wondering what everyone else does if their Cavalier's eyes weep.

:thnku:

We have this problem with Pippin, thankfully Maddie grew out of it. We clean his eyes daily with a piece of cotton wool dipped in cold black tea. This seems to keep it under control, and was something our vet suggested when we first had Maddie and her eyes watered a lot. She said there was no point paying out a lot of money on anything else, and that black tea had antiseptic properties.

We used this on little Brandy, a tricolour girl we looked after for a few months last year. She had crusty eyes and hair loss around her eyes, probably due to a food allergy. It took a couple of months but all her fur grew back and the crustiness went away. She hasn't had a problem since. :D

We have this problem with Pippin, thankfully Maddie grew out of it. We clean his eyes daily with a piece of cotton wool dipped in cold black tea.

Can you tell me what brand you use! lol I am not a big tea drinker and the only tea we have in the house is green tea! icon_blshing

I trust my vet but she does not have a lot experience in dealing with Cavaliers. I only used her to get all of his puppy shots done and from now on I will be going back to the vet the breeder recommended.

We use warm slightly salted water, with cotton wool balls. Both of our two's eyes run, and if left stain their faces. Misty's used to be really bad when we got her, but her bottom eyelids were rolled inwards, since her op she's been much better:)

We have them!

Both my Cavaliers have weepy eyes and they smell like musty dish rags. I will have to try the black tea idea. Both dogs had their eyes checked and they drained normally.

Can you tell me what brand you use! lol I am not a big tea drinker and the only tea we have in the house is green tea! icon_blshing

I just use Tetleys - mainly because that is what we drink:rotfl:

I don't suppose it matters what brand - it doesn't have to be expensive. If you're not much of a black tea drinker you can brew some and keep it in the fridge for a few days to use, not so much of a waste then.:)

I very recently learned that the staining is due to a (harmless) yeast.
I know from treating horse eye infections that over the counter yeast treatments can be safe to use on and around eyes. Consult your vet about using something like Lamisil to clean the stained hair.

Back