I'm in a tricky situation...Emotionally and financially torn...
I got an up close look at Flash's dad and he is sadly a poor site. He is in the hands of a puppy mill who is downsizing... She doesn't seem to see anything wrong with him other then he produced a puppy with bad CM/SM symptoms.
When I saw him he has almost no coat on him (says he has never been trimmed either?), the fur he does have is very brittle and dry.
He is very skinny. Flash is a "fit" 13lb puppy... I would guess his dad is about 9 lbs and showing bones.
I'm not sure if it was from a heart problem or excitement but he seemed to be breathing odd.
His back knees did not "bend" when he walked. Instead they were splayed far apart when he walked.
He is sweet but shy. He is not comfortable being picked up. He goes stiff as a board with fear when he is held. But in a playpen he comes up to be petted and seemed okay tolerating young children running around and petting him.
She is trying to sell him but everyone passed on him.
I hear the mom is even worse condition.
I am TRYING to get her to hand them over at the lowest fee possible. She WONT release them to a rescue.... She really don't think they are in bad shape at all!!!!
I have gotten her to drop the price within a price range I can afford but she wont let them go for "nothing" since she did pay money for them.
I'm torn.. I can't justify giving a puppy miller ANY more of my money for ANOTHER sick dog... but I can't sleep at night knowing how bad they are. All I can think about is the poor suffering dogs. I know I'm also partial because they are the parents to my sweet pup.
I have tried to contact animal control/human societies and no one will do anything because she is in a location that seems to be outside of everyone's range. They all tell me to contact the sheriffs office of the little town she is in (littlally in the middle of NO where. It's a good hour from any major cities.) The sheriff took the complaint but said he had no other complains on file for her and would only be looking into it if he received more complains from other people.
I really want to get at least one .. if not BOTH out of there. Depending on medical issues I may be able to keep one but the other would have to be placed in a rescue right away. I have a few people who might be able to help me get them into a rescue ASAP. I just hate to lose all the money.
I have a good vet who will work with me. I have a care credit card I use to vet bills. I can get him on instance right away in hopes that some things will not be called "pre-exisiting".
Would I be doing the right thing by paying for him to save him? I KNOW it would be doing wrong in so many ways to KNOWINGLY give a puppy miller any more money! She claims due to the sever health issues she has she is letting a lot of her adult dogs go into home.
Please let me know what you would do? I'm so torn... If I didn't have to spend most of my Christmas savings to get him he would already be here with me now. The issue of giving money to a puppy miller FOR a sick dog is what is holding me back.
I have to do something.. it is eating at me so bad I can't stop thinking about it.