Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you PAY to save this dog?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow, what a predicament! Good to know they are out. It would definitely be an extremely difficult emotional/moral dillemma. My first thought while reading your story was to pay to get the little fella out, but reading further on, I agreed with other posters as to paying a puppy miller would not be good. Anyway, I'm glad you got them out... and I wholeheartedly agree with Karlin, maybe contacting some rescue organizations to help these doggies would be a good idea?
    Good Luck and God Bless!
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been organizing back up plans if the doggies if they don't work out here. (I'm planning on placing them into rescues and I will be pleasantly surprised if one works out here.) I do a have placement for the female if she does not work out here. I'm most worried about the male fitting in here with another male dog. I am still sorting out a back up plan on him.

We have spent all day putting up more fencing. We are nearly done fencing in our 4 acres of land and then sectioning off a much smaller run for the new dogs to be separated from my current dogs. Already have an appointment set up for check up & then neutering the male ASAP. Female will get spayed once I get a little weight on her. I hear she is super skinny.

I have a sectioned off the back part of the house away from my son and other pets where I plan to keep them at first. My vet has advised at least 2 weeks apart to make sure they are not carrying anything contagious for my dogs. I will still be spending as much time with them as they are comfortable with.

As far as giving money to the breeder. She does seem to be downsizing her kennel to about a dozen dogs. (She has over 60 right now) Her husband passed away, she is on weekly chemo treatments, has a broken hand AND is an older lady. I really don't think she is using the money to get more dogs. She has updated online that she is re-homing her adult dogs. I could be falling for a "sad story" but I know I'm doing the right thing for the dogs.

Will post updates once they get here. Still have a LOT to do before then.

Post Thanks / Like

From an intellectual standpoint, I completely agree that paying money to backyard breeders or mills only perpetuates the problem. I believe that the only way to stop this business is to make it impossible for the owners to reap any sort of financial gain.

From an emotional standpoint, I don't know how you turn away from dogs in need. I don't agree with rescues buying dogs at auction, but I know that if I were one of those volunteers at the auction I would pay as much money as I could possibly afford to save as many dogs as I could.

It's just a sad predicament to be in. Good luck to you and please keep us posted! We may not all agree with the philosophy behind what you did, but please know that you have my complete emotional support here!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a tough call to make, but I think I would be going with my heart in this. I know that is what millers rely on but...I keep thinking about the man and the star fish story. My two little rescues came to me in pretty sad shape but they are super dogs now. (They still have some naughty habits...I just chased Harley off the table as I was typing this, little pest...) Good luck. These little dogs deserve a better life than they have had up to now. I hope the lady really is getting out of the business of peddling dogs for profit. Sounds like she has had a little dose of Karma.
    J. and pups, Gem, Monty, Harley and Sapphire