• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Curious - feeding 4 month old puppy

It's the preservatives in Royal Canin that are possibly a problem, I haven't got the references to hand but know that I have seen references to it.

Laura Lang's website seems to be partly under reconstruction now so I can't find the section about puppies and raw feeding - that would be interesting to hear why as I believe she used to feed puppies raw so I would like to know why she's changed?

I think she has felt for a few years now that puppies shouldn't be fed raw til at least 6 months old, maybe older. I know she has said this quite a few times over the years in discussions on raw feeding on various boards.

I know lots of rumours go around about various additives but I've never seen anything that actually states a food gives dogs cancer -- much less that it is left on shelves. RC for small breeds does not have the preservatives that sometimes cause concern -- BHT etc.

Laura's page on feeding is actually there -- but the old link no longer works. I don;t think she says much on raw feeding here though:

http://roycroftinformationcenter.com/Roycroft Cavaliers/Roycroft Cavalier Care Feeding new.html

I think her issue has been a question of the maturity of puppies' immune system to handle possible bacteria/etc.

People asked about dog food review sites -- there's a newish one here:

Dogfoodanalysis.com

The reviews sound familiar to me though -- am wondering if this is connected to a site that used to be around and is gone now...don't know.

I still think a lot of the ratings are fairly arbitrary -- with some assumptions on what ingredients might indicate but no lab analysis to prove it.

Just wanted to post that we've switched foods... when we went to buy more Artemis from the only local retailer, we were told that they could special order it for us, but they no longer carry it in stock. Apparently this particular store keeps close tabs on the food manufacturers and they were not liking what Artemis had been doing lately.

So we have switched to Innova puppy food. I have to say, I am impressed with the company so far. They seem very proud of what they do, and have nothing to hide. http://www.innovapet.com/

I also just ordered a bottle of the NuVet vitamins, been meaning to do that for awhile. Life just gets so hectic sometimes!

my 5 cavaliers are fed raw meat, 'soft' bones and fish, mashed vegetables, dried herbs and various oils.
beans was fed raw meat etc. since 'infancy' by her breeder, the others i switched to this diet when i got them home.

Hi

Same as Renate my four girls have raw meat, soft bones ,fish ,chicken wings ,mixed veg even one sprout each day ,corn on the cob ,apple ,banana and on top a variety of supplements and also raw whitebait and goat yogurt and cream cheese .:)

Hi Brian,
What do you mean by soft bones? I haven't tried my two with raw fish yet, but I have given them sardines in oil with grated carrot and they love it. They see the snoods come out and Jasper howls. Lol.

Any opinions on Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul? We fed our last dog Canidae, but after they switched ingredients with no warning, I wanted to find something different when we got Rose. She's been doing well on the Chicken Soup Puppy, and the ingredients seem very similar, but, I'm just curious since I don't hear this one brought up very often on dog forums(?).

Hi Deb

Soft bones I take to be exactly what it says ,IE something like chicken wings or similar but I do chop all bones up into bite size pieces and am still cautious and stay by them till they are all finished.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Bones-To-Feed-Your-Dog

Sardines are a super food very high in Omega 3 ,I do buy packs of them freshly frozen and filleted:-? and either lightly micro or steam and feed them warm to the girls .I also keep half dozen cans of sardines in brine as a stand by but I tend to flush them through before feeding and feed also one or two frozen whitebait daily and agree carrot is another good filler but so are many veg IE cauliflower ,broccoli ,beans and the girls even have one sprout each with there day ,rather them than me .Also as a filler rice cakes are good but the ones with no salt and small pieces of apples ,bananas ,strawberry and in the summer I give frozen pces of melon to help cool them off.

Thanks for that Brian. It's good to know I'm not the only one who spoils their dogs! I also never leave them while they have bones. Don't they just swallow them and not crunch them up if they are cut up. Jasper crunches all his up however Holly is another story. She's a gulper and I usually hold all the bones I give her while she crunchies them up. Maybe I will have a go at chopping her's up.
So far I haven't had any problems. They do like corn on the cob and broccoli and caulie. I still give the a bit of kibble in the evenings. Pro plan is what the breeder recommended and that's what I have stuck with. They like a bit of yogurt mixed with that. They love the dehydrated treats I do too.

Back