Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food aggression

Post Thanks / Like

Default Food aggression

Baxter is being a horror with the other dogs at feeding time..

they are all fed seperately.. Kitas in kitchen, Poppy & Baxter in the living room.
    Baxter has his at one end and Poppy used to be next to him, we have had to move her to the other end of the room as he eye balls her and barks at her and will even attack her, leaving his own dish with food still in it to have a go at her.
    i always watch them and correct his behaviour straight away, but the last two weeks he has got worse. he even sits looking at his dish when all the others have finished and woe betide anydoggy that walks past.. he will have a grumble or bark even at Thor who did tell him off the other day.

Yesterday morning, i put them in the kitchen Poppy & baxter and gave them their dentastix while i popped out, i forgot something and had to come in and heard Baxter really growling and yapping at poppy who was sat in a corner!

I have removed treats when he behaves like this, seperated and not allowed him to approach the others food and firmly told him no.. but it is actually getting worse not better..

any suggestions?
    Sarah, Thor, Freya, Poppy & Baxter

Izzy RIP sweetheart x

Post Thanks / Like

Oh gosh, that sounds very stressful for you and the other dogs! How old is Baxter? Is he sick? Is he neutered? These might be some things to consider that are affecting his behaviour.
    I've read that hand feeding is good for this, but I think that is food aggression towards humans. What you are doing is good, maybe you just have to keep reinforcing it and keep a close eye on him.
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Bella has the potential to behave like this, and she is always the first to finish because she doesn't seem to chew! She is fed in a crate alone and all of the other dog bowls are removed before she is let out of the crate. She also has chewy treats in her crate and is quite happy with the arrangement Bella seems to feel that she (and her food!) are safe in the crate, so she doesn't need to guard. May be worth a try with Baxter? But also worth checking if there is a medical reason as Desrae suggested.
    Owned by Kizzy - ex-breeding blenheim CKCS (cross?!), Zara -mini schnauzer, Ozzy - golden retriever and Bella - ex-breeding Westie

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think its medical.. he has always been a little horror with food but it has got worse over the last couple of weeks.

he is neutered and has just turned 1 - he was neutered at about 7 months.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but its like he is frightened of his dish.. we have had to remove his collar for eating and he has had so many different bowls! he now has a saucer type.. we put this down to his overbite and knocking the dish but i dont think it is as if he got the chance would quite happily eat out of all the others bowls! he will sit staring at his dish for ages! and then decide to eyeball poppy.. or just try to push her out of the way when he is told no and removed he then sits on the sofa watching her.. not go to his own dish and continue eating! none of the others dogs touch his food at all they all know they are not allowed in each others bowls, but Baxter seems to think he is above the rules!

Izzy RIP sweetheart x

Post Thanks / Like

Some dogs will bark at their own rear ends and attack themselves due to such high desire to protect their own food. I would feed him two or three pieces in his bowl, wait until he looks up at you wondering where the rest is, and continue that. He will hopefully realize more and more that this is YOUR food that you decide to share with him. If other dogs come near and bother you guys, YOU tell them off so he does not have to.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd crate him for dinner, give him extra time because of his overbite (if that slows him down). Maybe a quiet place where he can't see anyone else eating?

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys..

the other dogs know they are not allowed to go near each other food bowls so Baxter should feel "safe" eating!

i will try putting him a room on his own to see if he eats any better, il also try the bit at a time..

with two akitas and two cavs.. i never thought it would be the little ones with thses problems!

Izzy RIP sweetheart x

Post Thanks / Like

Try hand feeding everything for 3/4 days see if that makes a difference. I do that with food aggressive fosters and they usually realise after 3/4 days that it is your food which you are giving them. Good luck
    Briar, Jack, Berry and coeliac cocker Bracken foster cockers Rowan and puppy Simba

"Spaniels In Need"
    (a 'not for profit' rescue organisation)

Post Thanks / Like

the little horror has done it again.. gave them both dentastix he wolfed his down and then attempted to get poppys off her i went to get it off him & he took a pop at me i removed from his mouth with him growling at me and then lifted his food bowl up with his breakfast in and again he was growling with intent!

i just dont understand why he has suddenly got so much worse and is doing this, he started getting a bit iffy with Poppy and food, but this last two weeks he has been terrible.

il certainly be seperating and trying the hand feed from tonight.

it has been sugested to feed him last after all the other dogs - do you think this is a good idea?

Izzy RIP sweetheart x

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, but he needs to be put in his place! Do you get stern with him? My dogs are very good (except the odd bit of mischief) but if I put on my stern voice they know I mean business. Make sure he knows you're the boss, don't back down on him!

Maybe feeding him last would be a good idea, but let's see what the other more seasoned dog owners have to say...
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.