• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poppy smothers my mouth.

*Pauline*

First a little background first for those who are new...

Poppy was adopted last April. She is approximately 3 years old. She was one of four dogs who were all separated and fostered out when the owner died. I also own a male Cavalier, Dylan, they get on wonderfully. She is passively jealous of Dylan and nudges her way in if I cuddle him. Poppy is a complete love bug, I can't keep this dog from my lap or snuggling me all night which suits me fine! :)

Just recently she has started a strange behaviour. If I lie on the floor, she covers my mouth with the front on her neck and presses down so I can't breath! If I breath she cries. She hate being breathed on anyway like if I'm facing her in bed!!:rolleyes: I'm sure she loves me but why would she do this?! Any ideas?
5047051116_212564491c.jpg

Hi Pauline,

When I got my first cavalier almost 10 years ago I was told about this habit that a lot of a cavaliers have. It is called pressing or "the cavalier hug". Max did it and Bailey does it too. Usually the more affectionate the dog the more they hug.:-D

Deb
mom to Bailey and Mollie

Chamberlain does that if I turn away him when I am sleeping. He will climb over me and lay across my neck until I grab him and snuggle him to my chest. :roll:

Just recently she has started a strange behaviour. If I lie on the floor, she covers my mouth with the front on her neck and presses down so I can't breath!

Dylan has always done exactly the same. You can't breath and it seems as if he is trying to suffocate you but I'm certain it is just affection!

Poppy sounds absolutely adorable.:)

Guinness does this, I call it "smash cuddles" cause he gets so aggressive about it. Never occurred to me it might be a breed thing.

OH yes!! Belle does this all the time! To everyone in the house, except for Bobby... we call it a 'face hug'. I love them!!!:lotsaluv:

sienna, who needs a lot of love, does this as well, vigorously! she seems to love it. i am not too keen, but she seems to need expressing herself in this way. so fine with me ;)

beansy has done it a few times as well, i think mostly to copy what sienna does.

Perhaps she has another plot in mind...muahahah!! Just kidding. I am sure she just is trying to be as close to you as possible, and I bet would crawl into your mouth if she could!

Misty does the exact same, but Murphy never has. Misty especially loves getting on your pillow and just pressing her head as tightly as she can against yours:luv:

On the jealously thing, Misty does exactly what Poppy does, she's always trying to get in between Murphy and me or the OH. We call her out little barrel, as quite often she rushes in at 100 miles an hour to barrel him out the way;)

Special Cassie hugs!!! So funny!! Barney never has done this but Cassie pins me, Kevin and the kids all the time!! Especially if we've been out bless her it's so sweet!!
She does it to my mum to and will try to pin random visitors down!! Not sure they like it much :))

Toby loves to do this, as well! We think it is hysterical!
He is such a loving dog - as our first cavalier he has always been our very special boy.
None of the others have ever done it.

Only Harley does this and only to me. I love it. It's normaly after I fed them in the morning. I call it my special morning hug.
I thought it might be a dominance thing?

HOLLY does it too. I hate it as i feel like she's trying to smoother me.
Her tail wags like crazy so i know she enjoys it. Especially when i laugh while she does it.
I alway have a fear that she'll do it to a small child.
Yvonne

Back