• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy not eating much w/Dr Dunbar's method

love2driveinct

So I read all of the information in Dr Dunbar's downloads, and have been determined to institute his methods right off the bat. Only problem is, I don't think my puppy is getting enough to eat.

Since he recommends putting all of the puppy's kibble into the kongs, it makes it hard for my pup to get all of the food he needs in one day. He is actually quite lazy about working for the food and/or chewing on the kong! Does it take awhile for them to get the hang of this? How long do I wait? At some point I need to give him food in a bowl, right?

Are Cavaliers known for being slow to figure out how to use a Kong? :confused:

Yesterday before his vet check-up, I did give him a bowl with about 1/3 cup of food in it, thinking that he'd eat it right up since he didn't have to work for it. I did this because the vet had requested a stool sample to be brought in at his appointment. He barely touched the bowl! I even left it in his cage with him for a little while, and he probably ate less than half of what was there.

I know the old saying about puppies (and human babies, too) that they won't let themselves starve, when they are hungry they'll eat, even if they don't like the food or are too nervous or whatever the reason is. But I can't help but be a little concerned. He's been home with us since Tuesday and has not even eaten a cup of food in total since then. Could he still be a bit nervous?

Any thoughts?

I have never heard that method...putting the puppys food in a kong....So I am no help.

My breeder recommended giving him wet food and after a couple of days switching to dry food. He never had a problem eating, the only problem is he eats so fast. But I was worried that he was not getting enough to drink, so I would water on top of the already wet dog food!

I got a Kong for Chamberlain a few weeks after we got him, it takes him a long time to get the treats out of it and he does get bored, however, he LOVES when peanut butter is in there. Maybe put a little peanut butter to temp him?

Good luck!

Back