• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dr rusbridge book

anniemac

I was given a copy of Dr. Rusbridge book on SM at a dog show. I know when Ella was diagnosed I would read things, try to predict her future and cry. Its been a year so I think I'm ready to try to read more.

How much has changed since the book was written? Has there been new medication that helps? I just hate statistics and I think its hard when looking at a study not to compare.

I know each dog is different and I will try to remember that its been one year and her neurologist said She could have months but she's with me :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think if it gets to be too much, ill put it down. The good news is that I found some good support from someone who is kind

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Not much has changed I am afraid. If anything the percentages of affected dogs in the breed seem to be higher than predicted. There are some new meds added to the treatment diagram since, or mixes of meds but basically they do the same things -- there's no big breakthrough. :(

It isn't very consoling but the same mysteries and difficulties and frustrations about this condition have been known in the human Chiari/SM community for years. Dogs can be affected slightly differently as they walk on all fours and carry their heads horizontally but the same frustrations are there. One positive is that the research done on cavaliers is important and of great interest to the human SM research community and so this breed may also help people as we hopefully find ways of better understanding CM/SM and ideally, reducing likelihood of it occurring.

Thanks Pauline and Karlin,

I think I would look at the cases and how long they lived after being PTS and would try to figure out Ella's prognosis. That is dangerous but it is good to try to read more about it (even if I can't understand her writing, since I am no scientist). I am not smart and have not been around Cavaliers for very long, but that doesn't mean that I can't try to learn more.

It was interesting at the dog show because I met a mix of people and heard different things. I saw the #2 Cavalier in the US, but honestly I can not tell. I just wanted to see someone I met on Facebook that read my blog and has a Cavalier that has SM. I think when someone has gone through this, it makes them understand more or a little bit more sympathetic. Her dog was 7 when she was diagnosed and is now 9. She had surgery at LIVS and 2 years post op the syrinx is gone :) but her dog has disc issues. She was really depressed because she bred her and not only was she upset about her Cavalier but upset for the others that she bred. She learned that fortunately the male was an A but as she told me, still 25% can still get SM.

She told me that Dr. Marino at LIVS is doing some good things and has full scans and all these tests for $500. She sees the importance of scanning but she only has one litter maybe a year. She told me that she knows of one guy who scanned his dog and the dog did not make it through the MRI. Some breeders are scared of that risk, but it is something you have to be aware of. It was good to have someone give me a book and tell me she would be there for me. She understands and is a very good soul.

I learned a lot and then heard other things I will not post good and bad.. Overall, I think that people who go through this knows how tough it is. I read the other posts on CT about bad nights, decisions, and everything else and it breaks my heart. One thing for sure is, it is tough to love something so much, but I would not give it up for anything in the world.

*HELP* Is there anywhere that I can purchase this book online? I borrowed the book and now can not find it and I need to give it back to the owner

I noticed that the book is available to read online on her website so I hope this does not mean it's no longer in print.

Back