• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

scanning and grading

sunshinekisses

I live in the U.S. and there doesn't seem to be very many options as far as MRI scanning. If I wanted to scan my dog for reference where would I have it graded? I understand how to do eyes, hearts and patella as well as hips as we have a health database OFA. But I have no idea what to do as far as SM grading. From what I have researched so far I will have to travel for the MRI. Does the neurologist that performs the MRI do the grading as well? TIA.

I want to have this done on my new boy when he is older as I think it may help the breed as a whole for future. He is very healthy although young (6 months) but I think cavalier owners need to start thinking of the breed as a whole. Also, if I waited until he was 3 to scan would he need to be rescanned again as an older dog? Assuming he is clear.

The neurologist who does the scan will grade it. If you get a digital copy dr rusbridge will grade them also for a reasonable fee (£50, I believe, could change in the future).

And don't forget to submit scans for the research project!

When is a good age to do this? Chamberlain is only four months old, but I am intrested in getting all of the scans done.

Clare Rusbridge recommends to do it at 12 months, 2 1/2 and 6 - obviously that might not be practical over in the US, the 6 year old scan is actually the most valuable one [hence Rupert's Fund paying for older dogs to be scanned].

Obviously if you are planning to breed then you need to scan at 2 1/2 before going ahead [and do hearts eyes etc]

I heard that Dr. Marino at LIVS does full scans for $500. This is from the website..

Low cost screening of COMS (Chiari malformation) is being offered at LIVS.
Post-op-cranioplasty-front-view2.jpg
This program for breeders ($500. per dog in groups of 3) includes a neruological evaluation, a Spiral CT scan, an MRI, BAER testing and a Thermography scan. Copies and/or reports of any previously performed MRI's should be brought in at time of screening.
An additional charge will be levied for needed medications, tests and requested copies of MRI's and CT scans. <A name="top of page">Post-op crainioplasty front view<A name="top of page">
Initial results of the screening tests will be presented orally, before discharge by a member of the Surgery/Neurology department. Written discharge instructions will be given as well. When grading scale has been finalized in 6-8 weeks by Dr. Dominic J. Marino, in conjunction with Dr. Clare Rusbridge, a written summary will follow. Breeding recommendations will then be offered based on a protocol devised by Dr. Rusbridge depending on grading results."

He gives grades and it is in "conjunction with Dr. Clare Rusbridge". My friend was talking about him this weekend and I asked if the $500 was just for breeders and she said no. This is different than the website. However, I know he gives grades and the cost is really low especially for a full scan. I know in my city it is $1000 for breeders and is not a full scan.

thanks for all the replies....you guys went well above what I expected and I love the link to the lowcost MRI scannings. I just saw there is a place that is easier for me for travel. Very nice.

Back