Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grumpy Old William

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Grumpy Old William

I thought I was okay about losing William, he was an old boy, but every time I came onto the forum to write about his death I found it impossible without welling up.

Our old boy was put to sleep on Friday. His rubbing around the furniture and scratching had got worse so he went onto Gabapentin. That made him very unsteady and his back legs started letting him down. He still managed to climb the pet steps onto the sofa, but descending was a problem. He would bark for me to come and help him down.

Lyrica ( thank you Tania for sending it ) helped a little but eventually it became clear there was not going to be enough of an improvement.

William was 14 years old last month, a son of Monty, my Ch. Mareve Indiana.
    He was my Mother's dog. He came to me when she became ill & died. A last link with her.

My husband gave him the nickname because William liked to guard his treat for hours before chewing it. During that time he would be under siege from half a dozen little Japanese Chin fluffies. His warning growls became part of every day life.

William was PTS at Cambridge. He has donated cell tissue samples for research. His ashes will be scattered on the Norfolk beach, joining those of all the other dogs I have lost over the years.
    RIP William.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry to hear of your loss of William
    My heart goes out to you

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dear Margaret we are so very sorry to hear about precious William

It's very hard to lose an older companion, they have been part of your life for so long and there is such an understanding between you.

I'm sure it's made worse in that he was a very strong link to your Mother too.

He had a wonderful long life and was lucky to have been looked after so well.

Thank you for donating him for the research - a hard thing to do but a comfort in the weeks ahead and so very important for this very valuable research project. There is more information about the project in Margaret's blog.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't have to be grumpy any more. Run like the wiind wind William! I'm so sorry Margaret.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to hear of William's passing. 14 years is a wonderful age and both you and your mother must have cherished every one of them with him.It's hard to say goodbye to a great old character,but his gift to research will undoubtedly bring some comfort to you.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for your loss. What a great age he was!!
    BK

Post Thanks / Like

I can only imagine how hard this must be for you! Hugs!

Rest in peace in William!
    Mommy to....

Chamberlain (10 month Male Blenheim Cavalier)
    Sasha (6 year old Female Great Pyrennes)

Post Thanks / Like

Margaret, so sorry to hear about William but how blessed to live to the ripe old age of 14. We all send

Carol, Paul ,Elise and Kaley
    Carol

Proud Mummy to Kaley, 9 year old Tricolour
    Sonny ,Blen ( at the Bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Margaret, I'm so sorry. What a great age, 14. He was a gift to you and now he can give a gift to researching for SM. My heart goes out to you. Run free on Norfolk Beach, Grumpy William!
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Margaret, so sorry to read of William`s passing. Fourteen years is a good age, but must be so hard for you as he was part of your late mother`s life. Thinking of you and sending you big hugs.
    Pam