• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Remembering Rupert -11th June 1996 - 12th December 2008

Nicki

Our precious boy left us two years ago yesterday after sharing our lives for 12 1/2 wonderful years - I tried to post yesterday but was having Internet connection problems

We have so many precious memories - despite suffering with Syringomyelia, going deaf at the age of 2, and in later life suffering badly with arthritis and eventually Pancreatitis, he was a very happy, waggy tailed boy who loved everyone and made friends wherever we went.

You can read his story here http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?34132-Rupert-s-Story

I thought I would share a few special photos of him.

First day home - exhausting for both of us!!

12Mar2004-097-1.jpg

He was awfully cute as a puppy - but how something so small could create so much mischief was a mystery to us!!

Rupert040404-25-52618.jpg

With his "Mummy", Bryony, when we visited - he was about 2 here [he got in with her and she lay her head on his back, it was a lovely moment]

rupert30-1.jpg
rupert30-1.jpg

On the beach at Sea Palling, Norfolk - I think he would have been 4 or 5 here

12Mar2004-137.jpg

Food was one of his favourite things in life!!

Party2_MG_1978.jpg

In his senior years - Firemore beach, nr Poolewe on the West Coast of Scotland

Ruperadjt161128.jpg

and at home, in the snow

original.jpg

he wasn't so keen on the snow baubles though
Rupertsnow_MG_1480.jpg

I always loved this photo but felt there was an air of sadness about it, like he was leaving us...although it was taken a few years before he died

AdjRupertsnow115400.jpg

He loved to pose for photos and would wish you all a Happy Christmas

Rupert-Christmas-28Oct2006-188.jpg

We were very honoured when asked, earlier this year, if the fundraising project to raise money to fund MRI scans for older Cavaliers, for research into Syringomyelia, could be named for Rupert. I have been with this forum since the very early days, and Rupert - and his exploits! - were well known, hence being asked Obviously Rupert also suffered with Syringomyelia, which was well known.

We did not realise at the time what a phenomenal success the project would be - we are very close to the £10,000 mark!! This is amazing in just 10 months - so I would like to take this opportunity to pass on our very grateful thanks to everyone who has helped in any way - every £1 really does count. Special thanks to Karlin as without this wonderful forum, the project would not have happened.

A very special thanks to my friend, Tania - who has embraced the fundraising with considerable enthusiasm, and dedication - and has worked so very hard this year. I really appreciate all her personal support for me too - and help with producing the cards, calendars and recipe books [it is due to Tania that we have managed to raise so much money from these, as she very kindly donated nearly all of the costs of production] :thnku:

Perhaps in memory of Rupert, you might like to help by purchasing a calendar, Christmas cards, the Rupert's Fund recipe book or bidding in the auction? Or even sending a donation, maybe in memory of your own loved ones?

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?72-Rupert-s-Fund

Attachments

• 12Mar2004-137.jpg
    12Mar2004-137.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Nicki, thank you so very much for sharing your wonderful pictures of Rupert, what a beautiful boy :l*v:

What a wonderful tribute that the SM fund has his name and what a wonderful amount of money to be raised in less than a year.

Sending :hug:and thinking of you xx

What beautiful photographs of Rupert and what lovely memories you have, he certainly was a very handsome cavalier.:)

Thank you Nicki for sharing Rupert with us. He seemed like quite the charachter. I loved the stories you told of him being a little "naughty" He always seems to put a smile on my face even if he is no longer with you, his spirit lives on brings joy to others.

This is a lovely tribute to Rupert. Putting this together must have been very difficult.

I am sure I speak for most. Before Ruperts Fund I had a feeling of total frustration, living with two sick dogs and knowing there are a lot more people in the same or worse situation.

Ruperts Fund has given us all a focus. Everyone has been given the opportunity to help, however small or large that help is, it makes a big difference and it is meaningful. This takes the edge of this feeling of total helplessness and despair.

We are glad to be given the opportunity to do something that might one day stop this beautiful breed from suffering.

My feelings are what many on here have felt about Rupert and Rupert's Fund. It's amazing how we've all banded together in this, I am so glad to have found you all/the forum and somehow make a difference and help our precious cavaliers.:thnku:

Sorry I didn't realise the significance of yesterday's date until I saw your post, Nicki. What a wonderful tribute you have compiled for Rupert, so moving and so telling.

I think we are all glad that Rupert's Fund has become the focus of so much determined effort from members of this Forum to make a contribution and play our part in doing what we can to help the breed we all love so very much.

Well done to all concerned, and sweet dreams, Rupert - you were a great comfort in your lifetime and continue to be inspirational today
Heartblowingpoog.gif

Nicki - thanks so much for your pics of Rupert...Reading what you have said has had me sat here in tears. Our Cav's are so precious....Never "just a dog".

I can't afford to donate loads of money to the fund - I wish I could. As you know Barney was scanned last year for research, a decision we didn't take lightly. Kevin and I have talked lots the last week about the Cavalier collection scheme in Margarets blog. We've decided that when Barney goes on to "Rainbow Bridge" we'd like his last gift to Cavaliers for him to take part in this scheme. Not an easy subject to discuss and hopefully Barns will be with us for a few years more yet!

I will be registering him and probably Cassie too for this as I have said to Kevin, probably easier to discuss now than at the actual time...I know in my heart it is right to do this.....

Take care Nicki - sending you a big hug!!...xx Teresa

Nicki

A truly moving but at the same time wonderful tribute to Rupert.

His name lives on as an truly inspirational memorial. Like others I am so so grateful for this forum, for the support I've received since Minnie's diagnosis and for the opportunity to help the future of the cavalier breed.

For everyone who are dedicating so much time and effort for Ruperts Fund, on behalf of all our precious cavaliers, a big big :thnku:

Nicki
I concur with what everyone has already said, a truly moving tribute to Rupert, two years is still a very short time to mourn a much loved companion, There is still not a day goes by that I do not think my my loss of just over two years ago. I am very glad to have found this forum and to have met you.

Jim

I certainly remember Rupert

My feelings are what many on here have felt about Rupert and Rupert's Fund. It's amazing how we've all banded together in this, I am so glad to have found you all/the forum and somehow make a difference and help our precious cavaliers.:thnku:

I knew Rupert before I knew Nicky because my lovely Monty was Rupert's father.

I went to see the stunning litter that contained Rupert when they were about 8 weeks old & I was very taken with the beautiful puppies.In fact, one of my friends went to see them, on my recommendation, and bought one of Rupert's sisters

A few years later Nicky brought Rupert to meet me & Monty when we spent Christmas in Norfolk. It was obvious the two dogs were related, and that similarity became even more striking as they got older.

Monty was a very famous top stud dog who eventually proved to have SM. He was the perfect example of the dangers of a late onset condition showing up in a popular sire.

Rupert inherited his Dad's happy temperament, his glamour, long ears, the hint of naughtiness including, if I remember rightly, his ability to rifle through waste paper baskets. He also inherited the SM genes.

So here we are, with Nicky organising a wonderful memorial to Rupert in the shape of his fund, and me with the cell tissue donating scheme that I run in memory of Monty, who was the first dog I donated for post-mortem.
When he died I took him to Clare Rusbridge. He was part of the research that is in the book that Anniemac has been reading.

The cavalier owners on this forum are amazing people. The support you give to each other is remarkable.
You love their dogs and you are willing to do everything you can to keep them well, or to care for them and keep them comfortable when they are sick. I truly believe that if cavaliers are to have a future it is the caring pet owners like you that will make that happen.

So thanks to all those that have contributed to Rupert's successful fund, to Nicky who nursed Rupert through his bad times to reach a good old age & most of all to Rupert himself, bless him.

Margaret you made me laugh then cry. Thanks for sharing about Monty and the story of meeting Rupert. Tania said exactly what I felt, helpless. Rupert's fund has given me something I can feel part of. I've met great friends and literally feel so close to him.

I don't know why he makes me smile. I wish I got to meet him and Monty. Its strange how I feel connected to everyone and Nicki thanks to you and Rupert, you have given me some joy.

I will always be thankful.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thank you for posting this tribute to Rupert. I'm relatively new to the board, so really enjoyed reading all about this very special dog. You must be so proud to have Rupert's Fund named after your boy -- I can't think of a better tribute to an obviously extremely loved and special guy.

Hi Nicki,

We have kind of fell off grid a little these last few months, and we missed this thread, which is a lovely tribute to a beautiful boy, your pictures are brilliant, and jog our own memories of when we 1st joined this forum:lotsaluv:

We too are grateful, but also for all that you do, and for the help and support you provide, as i have said before you have been a big help to us, especially in 2010, with Charlie, who is now approaching 7 months with us, and his 13th birthday, and for that we will always be grateful

Happy Newyear to you and yours Nicki

Ryan & Lisa(y)

Last edited:
Thank you so much Ryan - we have missed you and were thinking of you all.

So pleased to hear that Charlie is doing well - being happy and so well loved has made all the difference to this very special oldie. 13 is truly amazing - when is his birthday?

I was so pleased to be able to help :flwr::flwr:

Back