Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dehydrator - does anyone have one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Dehydrator - does anyone have one?

A fellow board member and I are currently looking into purchasing dehydrators, mainly for making sweet potato chews as these are difficult to source - although I have found some now, will post separately!!

We think that we could make lots of doggie - and human - treats and snacks, which would be much healthier than shop bought.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that prices have dropped dramatically since I last looked a few years ago when they were over 120...

Does anyone have one - what do you think? I found quite a few different models on E-bay

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=f....c0.m270.l1311

Thanks in advance
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't have one but have done quite a bit of research on them.

My boss is a big Raw-Foodist (people raw - vegan). He's tried to get all of us on the band-wagon. I'm not fully on board but I do enjoy some of his raw dehydrated treats and a co-worker bought a dehydrator as well.

My research indicates that the Excalibur ones really are the best ones if you are going to use it all the time - faster, dehydrate more evenly etc, some have a time, etc.

My colleague just bought one through Amazon, it's a round one rather than the bigger rectangular Excalibur. Not sure of the brand, but hers does the job although it took her three times as long to dehydrate one of her recipes than she anticipated. For the money savings (I think she spent just $29) she's totally cool with it.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

I have this one -http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dehydrator-Dri...item563e7dd196 (but not from that stockist). I haven't used it as much as I would have liked to! I had a go at dried sweet potato treats, but mine turned up crispy/crumbly - so I think I need to change my method somehow... I have also made dried apple and carrot for the dogs. If anyone else has any tips, I'd love to hear them!
    Owned by Kizzy - ex-breeding blenheim CKCS (cross?!), Zara -mini schnauzer, Ozzy - golden retriever and Bella - ex-breeding Westie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have one. It's an Ezi Dry and I love it. So far I have made liver treats which were great they love them. I sliced it very thin and they turned out great, I do all my dehydrating in the laundry with the door open to let out the small especially liver!
    They keep great in the freezer.
    My sweet potato turned out rubbery. So if anyone has any tips that would be good.
    Chicken strips where great too they go crazy for them. It's so much better than buying them as you know exactly what's in them.
    I have tried apples, kiwi fruit, bananas, lemons, oranges.
    I bought a vacuum sealer which is fantastic. Great for when we go down the coast I can now buy my meat from my local butcher and vacuum seal it and it will keep fresh while we are away.
    Deb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have one. I make chicken and apples. The apples I think need to stay on longer, they were floppy (the dogs still loved them though). The chicken is really easy. I prefer it to the store bought because I cut the pieces a lot smaller.

I paid around $40 for mine. Picked it up on a whim one day. It's an Oster brand.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few customers at my store who dehydrate alot of their own doggie treats. The funny thing is, alot of them still come in and buy the dehydrated sweet potato treats that we sell. They say that sweet potatos are really tricky and they can never get them to turn out right! Are they difficult treats to get if you are not in the US?
    Erin aka Mommy to Polly (Blenheim) 3-30-2009 And Cat children, Salem, Emma & Ellie
    The love of my life
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
    Tobey- I miss you terribly my sweet boy. We will be together again

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have never seen them here in Brisbane. Although I have never asked for them either. I will next time I am out.
    Deb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin2854 View Post
    I have a few customers at my store who dehydrate alot of their own doggie treats. The funny thing is, alot of them still come in and buy the dehydrated sweet potato treats that we sell. They say that sweet potatos are really tricky and they can never get them to turn out right! Are they difficult treats to get if you are not in the US?
    I have looked in the three pet shops that are close to us here in Australia, and i have not found them anywhere.
    ~ Kokoda - Ruby - DOB 26/02/2011, Deniki - Tricolour - DOB 17/02/2013 and RIPAnzac ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Same, I have never seen them here. Maybe there's a market for dehydrated sweet potato here.
    Deb

Post Thanks / Like

I think there might be
    Maybe we should master the dried sweet potatoe and sell it ourselves!
    ~ Kokoda - Ruby - DOB 26/02/2011, Deniki - Tricolour - DOB 17/02/2013 and RIPAnzac ~