• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Winter Exercise

Mindysmom

Karlin's thread with the link to the severely obese Cavalier made me start thinking about how everyone keeps their Cavs slim and trim over the winter.

Max gained three pounds last winter without me even realizing it:sl*p: It took a fair bit of work to get it off because the extra weight made him less active even when spring came. I'm trying to be very proactive this winter to make sure that neither he or Rylie get overweight.

We walk daily except when the weather is really bad BUT I'll admit we don't walk as far because the salt in town bothers their feet (I use either booties or invisible boot) and if we go on trails they get full of snowballs and that isn't very pleasant for them either. Also our agility class doesn't run in the winter.

In the summer, in addition to their walks they spend hours a day in our back yard running around (particularly Rylie who will play ball for hours on end if someone will throw it for him) that and swimming whenever we can is where the bulk of their exercise comes from. The snow in the yard is too deep for them now to do much running around and we can't throw the ball off the deck or it gets buried. We have taken to indoor exercise - I do ball work with them to keep their muscle tone and we've been playing hide and seek (which they do love) - What does everyone else do to keep their dogs in shape over the winter?

I'm monitoring their weight this winter and really hope that I don't have to reduce their food because Max seems to be always hungry and Rylie needs three meals a day or his tummy starts going wonky.

There is always this when the snow is too deep, or too cold!!!:p

click to play

Last edited:
ROFL Chuck- I think I have enough exercise stuff at home that hubby would balk at a treadmill!

I probably sound a bit out there but I saw for myself what a huge difference 3 pounds made on Max's energy level. When I took them and and told them to go for a run he would only run as fast as I would (which is NOT fast). When we got back to agility in the spring he was only going through the motions. I was so concerned I took him to the vet to check for injury and considered pulling him out of agility entirely because he was clearly only doing it because I asked him to. Once the weight started to come off he was like a different dog.

I cut the food down by 25% ish in the winter.

My two during the spring-autumn will get between 1 and 2 hours of excercise a day which is reduced to 30mins-1 hour in the winter.
Purely as I live in a slightly rough area and wouldnt dream of walking them in the dark.

They still have agility and obedience training during the winter except for the 2-3 weeks over Xmas.

I did notice a couple of years back that Ruby put some weight on though over the winter so like you Im more concious now and just feed them less!

Back