• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Well the rescues are here....

i have actual tears in my eyes reading this. those poor poor babies. how anyone can do this is beyond me. you have an amazing heart and strength to get those pups as well as getting her to surrender them to you. they are lucky to have found you. (im hugging bentley as i type this, the thought that something like this could have easily happened to him makes my heart sink into my stomach)

xx

I keep looking back to this thread and that first picture of those beautiful eyes looking up at you and I wonder what kind of a cold hearted person could have neglected them. Every time I see those faces I just want to scoop them up in my arms.

How are you getting on today?

Like everyone else, I'm flabbergasted by the neglect and overwhelmed by your brilliance in rescuing them without filthy lucre changing hands.

Well done indeed -
Goldstarspoog.gif
and good luck. Do let us know how you are all getting on

WOW... I left today for 3 hours to do some shopping.. When I came home tonight I swear they are totally different dogs!!! When I came home they were SO excited to see me...When we went outside they were all over me! Even the little girl suddenly came out of her shell and was so happy! Wagging her tail and all! This is the first time I have seen her "happy". She has been so scared!

Overall today they have been a little better with the barking but they still have a long way to go. They don't seem motivated by food or treats. (TOTALLY opposite of Flash) Although I am happy to see one of them (probably the girl) munched on a healthy edibles bone while I was away. Also Flash understands the "Speak" & "Quiet" Command. It was really easy to train him but they may take a lot longer since they are not motivated by treats yet.

We have not had any "accidents" in the house or kennel. Both dogs are eating small meals and have had no tummy upset at the moment... I'm still doing slightly softened Natures Variety kibble, a little bit of IAMS canned puppy food, a little bit of salmon oil with Glucosamine and Chondroitin, a tiny bit of plain yogurt, and a supplement called PuppyCal (high calorie vitamin supplement).

Ran out today and got them each a sweater since they have such thin fur (especially the girl) Found these AWESOME sweaters on a clearance rack for $2.99!!! They were the last 2 as well! Here are some photo's from tonight.. Looking MUCH happier!

Checking out the fenced in area we created for them:
DSCN1636.jpg

Smelling the country air
DSCN1643.jpg

New coats
DSCN1637.jpg

Can we go inside, please?
DSCN1640.jpg

Sweet girl
DSCN1642.jpg

Such a wonderfully happy go lucky little guy
DSCN1653.jpg

Every time they come in from a potty break they rush into the kennel and noise the ground furiously like they are looking for something...
DSCN1646.jpg

Not sure if either of them will be staying here permanently but right now I'm focusing on getting them better. I know they will both be staying here for the next few weeks while they get better. I'm going to have them spayed/neutered as soon as they are up for it. I would love for 1 of them to work out here but we will see. I have a possible placement for the female with another Cavalier owner if needed. Trying to take this 1 day at a time for now.

Thinking of naming the boy Blitz (short for Blitzen.) I was planning on calling the girl Holly but it doesn't seem fitting. I think Minnie sounds better for her. She is SO tiny!!!! Going to give it a few more days for them to come around but I would like to start calling them SOMETHING!

Thank you to everyone for showing support! I'm so thankful for this forum!!!

Oh and 1 question: They both "snort" and LOT when they get really excited. I think its just the short nose thing... They both have much shorter muzzles then Flash so I think that might be why. Should I be worried? They don't have runny noses or anything. It only happens when they get excited.

Just weighted the new Cavaliers.
The girl is barely 9lbs.
The boy is a heavy 10lbs.

Then there is Flash... there 8 month old puppy who tips the scales at 13 1/2 lbs.

I think they are both really beautiful! And they look awesome in those cute coats!

As others have said, bless you for taking care of them. I know how stressful it can be trying to minimize your other dogs' exposure to anything these 2 might be carrying (and how much work that requires with the laundry, constant managing of areas, etc.) That was my biggest worry when I took in 2 dogs from a BYB. They weren't this thin, but the guy admitted to me that he never had them vaccinated for rabies but he said he did the other shots himself (yeah, right). They were crawling with fleas and reaked to high heaven. My biggest worry was that Daisy would catch something bad from them. Thank goodness nothing like that happened, and I'm sure it will work out that way for you, too. It sounds like you are doing a great job at being careful about all that.

They are both so little that they look like puppies. I think they are adorable and they look like they are really settling in to a life of love instead of misery. Good for you for rescuing them!

the rescues are here

Well well well done, they look like wonderful little dogs, you are brilliant and I am so happy for you that they are getting to be friendly to you so quickly. I have a little rescue breeding bitch from a puppy mill here in ireland, since august and she still is very timid with us humans, but loves my other dogs.But she is between 8 and 10 yrs- depends which vet you ask! She has remained on the skinny side, but as she has a dodgy heart it 's a tricky one to get the balance right. If you have any tips of how to overcome her shyness with humans I'd be so grateful. I really really admire you for taking on two, they will repay you in bucketfuls of love and licks! All their Christmases have really come at once for these little lads. Thanks to you. cl*p

Thank you for rescuing these two - well done.

Not liking being picked up may not be because it is painful but because they are used to being grabbed and dumped on a lap or table to have nasty things done to them (tangles pulled out, nails trimmed, etc). When my ex-puppy mill Aled first arrived, he hated being picked up and just froze (he gazed at the sky and switched off - what I call his 'lying back and thinking of England' mode!). He's a lot better now that he knows he will be gently handled and given a cuddle and some treats.

The boy's awkward walking could be a disc problem or similar - this was the first symptom of Oliver's spondylosis. We're all awaiting the vet's report with interest!

Aled sends his special love (if he was human, he'd be organising a Puppy Farm Liberation Movement!) - it's so great to see him tearing round in the snow just enjoying being free to run. The ability of Cavaliers to recover mentally from bad treatment never ceases to amaze me.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Great to see them and they are adorable in their coats! You are doing excellent work with them. :D Yes the snorting is most likely nothing to worry about -- lots of excitement right now for them and that often sets off he 'cavalier snort'.

Gosh they are tiny -- any good breeder would never breed such undersized cavaliers. It is just constantly infuriating what ignorant people do with dogs. Only imagine how many of their offspring are likely to be bred in turn. :(

Let us know how they get on -- I am sure a few of us would paypal some support over for vet bills to help these two out. I wouldn't say either would be ready for a neuter for a couple of months, given their state. I would do their teeth at the time of a neuter so they just get put under once (and chip them then, too! :) ). That is what I do generally.

They are sooo tiny! :(

They do have the sweetest faces, I am so happy to hear that they have you to take care of them! Their new collars and coats look so nice on them!

I also love the name "Minnie" for the female, it does suit her!

I can't wait for more updates! :hug:

Well done you! Thank you for helping these two poor craters out. It's amazing how they can transform in so little time, with a little love and comfort and food.:lotsaluv:

Ah Bless you!!

Just seeing this thread now and so so pleased you got these two out of there!!

Agree with karlin- try to wait a bit and get some weight on them before neutering. I ended up waiting 5 months with my little Charlie who i took on from a rescue home.
he was also underweight at the time and it has taken a very long time (just over a year) to get him to a good weight,
from 6.1kg on arrival to 8kg now

His coat is only just beginning to get 'Cavalier like' with his slippers only just appearing and he still has a baby face.
I think sometimes, unfortunately the damage done in early life when they should be doing the most growing and learning, stunts them in a way.

It took me about 6 weeks to wean Charlie on to dry food (all he ate was Webbox when he arrived) and I still struggle to groom him in certain places, he HATES it.

They are so so so lucky to have a guardian angel like you to find them :wggle:

Thank you so much for helping these poor dogs! It sounds like they are going to just thrive under your care -- I love that they were so happy to see you come home today!

I would love to contribute to their care somehow. If you set up a paypal account (or whatever means you choose), please let us know! It takes a village to save the needy sometimes, so please let us help!!

Not liking being picked up may not be because it is painful but because they are used to being grabbed and dumped on a lap or table to have nasty things done to them (tangles pulled out, nails trimmed, etc). When my ex-puppy mill Aled first arrived, he hated being picked up and just froze (he gazed at the sky and switched off - what I call his 'lying back and thinking of England' mode!). He's a lot better now that he knows he will be gently handled and given a cuddle and some treats.

This is what I'm thinking. I have had to trim mats out of their fur and I'm treating there ears for mild infections and unlike most dogs who squirm to get away.. these guys both just freeze and go stiff! Neither will eat treats out of my hand yet so I just give them lots of cuddles.

The male actually showed interests in a squeaky toy today! He went and grabbed it and brought it back to me each time I tossed it. So happy to see that!!!

Both enjoyed playing outside today in our wonderfully nice weather.

Also I have not noticed the male's legs locking up like they did when I first got him. Could just be he is having a good day. Either way I'm happy for the moment.

As of right now they have clear eyes, clear noses, no coughing, no sneezing, no fever, no outward signs of pain. Just as Karlin said above my vet said she would prefer to do the spay/neuter at the same time as the teeth extractions/cleaning. My vet wants them to put on weight before they get spayed/neutered.

If anyone wants to contribute to the fund I have started putting together for them I would be so grateful! I didn't expect anyone to want to help out financially. I was hoping to sew some doggy jackets,walking vests and toys and put them up for auction to raise a little money but I have been SO busy. Between cleaning, sanitizing, showering, socializing, laundry, being a full time mom to a toddler & full time home maker I have not sat down to make anything. If anyone is willing to contribute anything you can send it to our paypal email address [email protected] . I will try to make a list of expenses that go into them and any donations we get so I can let everyone know where we are at.

Here's a few more photos from tonight...
DSCN1674.jpg

DSCN1682.jpg

DSCN1688.jpg

DSCN1691.jpg

And best of all.. Here is a little video of the boy playing :razz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLRy8VQLj18

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always shocked at how cruel people can be at these farms, don't know why I'm always shocked but I am, they really are sub human!!

You have a heart of gold. What you've done for these two little darlings is just amazing. The video is just brilliant, they really are sweet little babies. How lucky they are to be with you for Chrismas. :lotsaluv:

Nothing nicer than watching deprived dogs coming back to life again and beginning to be Proper Cavaliers! Their ability to recover is always amazing. You're doing a great job, and I entirely support your actions over the insurance - what they need for the next fortnight (barring a crisis) is commonsense maintenance treatment to ears etc and lots of love, and you're giving them both in abundance.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Nothing nicer than watching deprived dogs coming back to life again and beginning to be Proper Cavaliers! Their ability to recover is always amazing. You're doing a great job, and I entirely support your actions over the insurance - what they need for the next fortnight (barring a crisis) is commonsense maintenance treatment to ears etc and lots of love, and you're giving them both in abundance.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Lovely to see them in that video.

I agree with Kate. Waiting for the insurance to become valid is a sensible thing to do.

Oh my - I can't believe these are the same dogs as in your first post! Isn't it amazing how waggy tailed they can be, even after all the neglect and awfulness. Cavaliers really are THE best dogs in the world, aren't they?

Well done for everything you have done for these Christmas angels......now, how can I emigrate to the States to adopt these sweethearts? icon_nwunsure

Hi

It is a truly wonderous thing you are doing ,do you have a paypal account were people may donate to help you help them .;)

Last edited:
Back