• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Small sensitive lump under skin

MurphysMummy

Murphy has developed a small lump under his skin on the top of his body. He runs away and trys to get free when you feel it or run your finger over it...
I have only just noticed the past 2-3 weeks, and it is still here...
Does anyone have any opinions on what this could be?? I've read it could be a blocked gland, but why would that cause sensitivity/pain?? And why would a fatty tumour hurt if it was one?:confused::confused::confused:Really confused.
Opinions appreciated, and hope everyone is well and looking forward to christmas:)

Lucinda

How big is it? Is it about the size of a grain of rice? If so I'm wondering the same thing..one the new cavaliers has one on his side near his ribs. It definitely causes mild pain if messed with but on the outside it looks like nothing.

If it's that sore then you need to get it checked out by the vet - don't leave it over Christmas...

It doesn't sound in the right place for a lymph gland so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

A fatty lump wouldn't hurt.

Let us know what the vet says - at the very least telephone them and see what they advise.

Hi Lucinda

Have a look at my thread of the 29 th Nov that was a little lump which thankfully now has virtuall disappeared .

How big is it? Is it about the size of a grain of rice? If so I'm wondering the same thing..one the new cavaliers has one on his side near his ribs. It definitely causes mild pain if messed with but on the outside it looks like nothing.

Exactly the same place.. on the outside it isn't visible.. Hope its not going to be something serious :(

Thanks for your replies I've been so worried. Shall telephone the vet to ask and will check out your post Brian :)

Nicki -I don't know much about the glands so I'm not too sure on this, was just reading on the internet and came across it

Last edited:
Could it be his microchip? I can feel where they are in 2 of our dogs - although they don't mind it being touched...

Could it be his microchip? I can feel where they are in 2 of our dogs - although they don't mind it being touched...

It's too far down to be his microchip I think - my Mum also thought that, I've heard they can move..but its definately a lump in his skin.

Last edited:
Although you cannot be too blasé about lumps, I have found that small lumps are not unusual with cavaliers
Blocked pores, little skin tags and warts, sometimes a swelling where they have been vaccinated.

It is hard to make out from your description whether it is really painful, or just that he doesn't like it when you finger the lump.

It would be wise to ask the vet for his opinion when you next go, or as Nicki suggests just ring and check, but unless it is noticeably growing in size I would be surprised if it was really something to worry about.

A couple of mine have lumps -- sometimes small and hard, some large and fatty. Jaspar is prone to them and has quite a large fatty one on his chest. It has been checked and is just a benign fatty deposit. ometimes ticks will caue an uncomfortable lump where they have burrowed in.

As others say it is worth having your vet look at it, though is probably not urgent.

Hi thanks for all your replies. I cut some of his fur off around the area so I could see it. I managed to get a picture (not very good quality) of the lump. It doesn't appear to the actual size of the lump as its under the skin. But this is a photo of what I can see
5278348316_7d8294fa38.jpg

It looks irritated, I don't think it should be red. Maybe that is why it is painful, the surface might be sensitive? Is there any other swelling around the lump? Does it have a scab, so a possible scratch that swelled up? Bug bite?

Back