• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

bringing home a new puppy with older cav

Welcome to the board. There are articles in the Library section on adding a second cavalier to the home which give lots of information and advice. (y)

Dogs can react in many different ways. Most are slightly put out for a while but eventually enjoy a new companion. No one can really tell you how your dog will react. :) Some older dogs like puppies and some find them pretty aggravating and only really begin to enjoy their new companion when the dog is closer to adulthood.

If you are thinking of adding a puppy, be sure to see out many links on the right hand column on the homepage to finding a good, health focused breeder. :) This is critically important given the current endemic health issues in this breed.

I can only speak from my own experience.
Barney was eight last April. I wanted another for years but wasn't in a position to get one. Whe we brought Cassie home Barney thought she was fab for 24 hrs. He then spent two weeks waiting for her to leave!!

Even though Barney is fab I was very careful about leaving them on there own for the first little while. Now- they are fab, Barneys quietness and calmness is fab for Cassie, Her energy and va-va-voom have energised Barney no end.

Yes it's harder work with two, no I wouldn't change it for the world!! :))

I have a 10 year old cavalier and in July this year got a pup, I had wanted another dog for a long time and did try for a rescue many years ago but it had gone, this was locally and was told they did`nt get cavaliers very often so I just got on enjoying our one dog. I was very worried how it would work out getting a puppy and it was a very big decision for us to make, but it has really worked out very well, I make sure Jasper our older cavalier`s routine has not been changed, I initially did`nt take them out together, but made sure Jasper always went out for walks first, but since the cold weather they now go out together for walks. I do crate the pup while out at work, basically because of chewing etc, but it does mean Jasper does get peace and quite, the puppy can get over powering at times, but I am aware of situations and remove him if necessay.

As Teresa says it it hard work, but I would`nt be without either of them.

Back