• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cold Feet and Cavaliers

Brian M

Hi
Twice this week on walks the first being last Sunday when it was - 10 deg Popps started hopping along on three legs we were with the lady who has two big Old English and she said one her dogs was just the same and they thought an ice lump had trapped in her pads ,so checked Pops and cleaned them and she was fine then .And today in the park half way through the walk she started hopping along so Luke picked her up and carried her back to the car she has been fine since .So the big question we is the more intelligent them or us:confused:

Do they use salt or anything else to melt the ice? I find mine don't mind unless they get snowballs in their pads OR if we walk on the road this time of year. They use salt here to melt the ice and it really bothers their feet. The first time we went out this year after they had salted - I hadn't realized it until we were out because it was actually still above 0 and we hadn't had snow (maybe they were practicing) both of my dogs were lifting their paws and whimpering trying to walk without touching the ground. Once I figured out what was going on I let them walk on everyone's grass as much as I could. Since then they either wear boots or invisible boot but Ryle still balks at going for a walk until we get halfway down our street and he realizes his feet are really ok.

Brian lovely, Cavs especially hairy ones are prone to snow baubles!! lol

Cassie moves like the speed of light so suffers less.

Remedies I try include luke warm water and a warm towel :)) Our walkies have been shorter due to the snow but Cassie loves it!! We had our pics taken today by the local paper with the dogs chasing snow balls, even Barney let his hair down and joined in!!!

Barney bless him hates snow on his feet and walks very strangely if it balls :((

Ice lumps between the pads are prob not very comfy!! :(( Barney had those on Monday :( He was very Bahhhh Humbug!!

Mika's the same on snow - one paw is always up. Salt is another matter. At first I thought something was terribly wrong with it. It scared the crap out of me. I eventually realized that it was the salt that was making her walk so funny. We try to avoid it when possible. I've been resisting boots for some reason, but we might have to invest.

Back