• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier Clinical Trial Opportunity

anniemac

Hey Rod,

Please let me know if this information is up to date. I found this on CKCSC.org Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club, USA website. In my search for what the USA can do to help the breed, I found this.

"Cavalier Clinical Trial Opportunity
At the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, they are currently recruiting Cavalier King Charles Spaniels greater than 1 year of age to learn more about Syringomyelia and investigate a new drug for the treatment of pain associated with SM. They would like to see those dogs that have clinical signs of SM such as:

Scratching - this is usually to one side of the body in the area of the neck, ear, shoulder and sternum. Often the dog will scratch while moving and without actually making contact with the skin.
Pain - this is typically localised to the neck region but can be intermittent and sometimes difficult to localise to a specific region.
Sensitivity to touch - dogs that are affected with this disease may be overly sensitive to touch on one side of the neck, head, shoulder or sternum.

For eligible cases whose owners would like to participate in this clinical study, they are offering free of charge 2 neurological consultations, pre-anaesthetic blood profile (CBC and Chemistry), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and CSF analysis to confirm diagnosis if this has not been performed in the last 12 months. In addition owners will receive payment towards further treatment and to reimburse for time and travel expenses.

Further information can be obtained by contacting the Veterinary Clinical Investigation Center (VCIC) by going to:
www.PennVCIC.org OR
emailing: [email protected]. Alternatively please give us a call at:
215-573-0302 to talk to a member of VCIC about this study.

The Primary Investigators on this study are Dr. Sam Long and Dr. Anne Traas.

Dana W. Durso, RN
VCIC Clinical Trials Nurse
University of Pennsylvania
School of Veterinary Medicine
3800 Spruce St. Room 181E
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6010
215-573-6553

That's strange. Even the link on the ckcsc USA website is not working. Might be old but I will call or email.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

That information was up on http://www.cavalierhealth.org/syringomyelia.htm beginning in May 2008, but if I recall correctly, Dana Durso later wrote and asked that it be removed because they had reached their quota of candidate dogs. This is what had been posted in May 2008:

May 2008: Evaluation of a new medication to manage the pain and discomfort associated with syringomyelia. Veterinary Clinical Investigation Center at the Matthew J. Ryan Veterinary Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is conducting a Syringomyelia Clinical Study for the treatment of neuropathic pain in Cavalier King Charles spaniels. Cavaliers that have any of the following symptoms: neck pain, sensitivity to touch, or scratching at the head and neck and have been diagnosed with, or is suspected of having Chiari-like malformation (CM), syringomyelia, or occipital hypoplasia, may be eligible to participate in the study.

The study will run over the course of one month and may require five or six visits to the Ryan Veterinary Hospital. Following the consult with the neurologist, all dogs will receive an MRI. All study participants will initially be prescribed Rimadyl® and then randomized to either the study medication or placebo which they will take for two weeks. Upon completion of the study, the neurologist will discuss any other options and considerations with the owner as well as set up a long-term pain management regimen.

For more information, contact Dana W. Durso, RN, Veterinary Clinical Investigation Center, telephone 215-573-0302, email [email protected]

I wonder if this was the possible new SM-specific medication that our UK Royal Veterinary College was trialling around the same time? They were very cagey about its results at the recent health day - which could mean either that a commercial firm is interested in developing it and it's all shrouded in industrial secrecy, or that it didn't work! Does anyone know any more about it?

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I sent an email and this is the response I got

Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:21 PM
To: Singleton, Anne
Subject: Re: Cavalier Clinical Trial Opportunity ATTN: Dana W. Durso, RN

Hello Ms Singleton,
We certainly appreciate your interest in our clinical trial but this trial has been completed. I can keep your email in a database and if we have more trials specifically for Cavaliers I can update you.

Best Regards

Dana Durso

I responded and asked if the results were published anywhere.

Back