• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

night time toilet

Paulette

Hi Just wondered whether or not it was a good idea to make a cardboard pen to fix to the crate for night time so little one can have an area outside her crate with a puppy pad in to go to the toilet, or should I shut her in and just get up every few hours as I was planning to do.
She will be in the lounge and I am planning to sleep on the sofa for a while anyway at night to help her settle. Any thoughts greatly received..am losing sleep thinking about it all, as I want to try my best and do everything right for her....being a new mum again eh?!!

I think shutting her in and getting up as necessary will help with potty training down the road. I did that with Max and I was lucky enough that Rylie slept through the night from day 1.

hi, i got up to let ruby out of the crate and onto the pad every night when she wimpered - the trouble is she still has to have a wee around 3am without fail! she will come downstairs happily on her own but i usually wake up and come down too, as i have a cat i dont want them unsupervised as the cat can have a go sometimes , just cos she can , lol. i still keep a puppy pad at the back door , its been a godsend in all this snow :lol:

Get up and let them out, Chamberlain never had an accident in his crate because I let him out the first two weeks every two-three hours....

Best to get up probably around 3am for first week or two and you may have to get up again as your puppy is so young (eg 5:30 am). Always best to take the pup outside, not just let the pup out to go on a pad near the crate, or you are going to have to housetrain all over again from pads to outside.

There's great guidance on the training links pinned to the training section, and in the free download I linked to in a previous post, which will give trainer advice on housetraining and all other issues. (y)

I was lucky with my two girls they sleeped right through the night untill I let them out in the morning. With my boy I had to get up around 3 am to let him out and that went on for six month.

I used paper for both of mine at night only, worked brilliantly for Barney, Cassie is still having times when even tho no paper now she poos and pees in the kitchen at night :( My fault I know!! She gets me up after so I can clean it up!!
She is fine in the day though. After having five weeks of no getting me up the last two weeks she has had me up most nights!! She is nearly one now and I'm not sure what to do about it!

Our first night last night, she made noise at 11.40pm went a bit crazy so let her out..she needed a poo!

Cried every so slightly only a couple of times so got her out for a wee and nothing, she just wanted a cuddle and crawled up my legs and curled up in a ball, so cuddled her for a few mins then put her back. There were no cries for her mum, unfortunately 1 small accident of wee in her crate in the morning when i checked her when she woke up at 7am, so as advised it must be around the 3am as I got her out at about 2am and she didnt want to go then.

Will stay down here with her again tonight but overall last night was better than I thought she would be, she is seeming quite happy overall with eating and drinking and the follow throughs! she plays well too, but only for short times then has to have a nap.

Spoke to the vets today about her and she advised taking her outside for toilet, so I did it twice today and she went straight away although I dont think she liked the damp weather much, may make it harder for myself but think in the night Ill stick with the pads as she has got the idea already about using them.

With our young nearly 8 month old pup with have had a few problems at night, he was getting on fine until the clocks altered at the the of October and then suddenly he went down hill and was up at night barking to go out a lot - we had a couple of weeks of really bad nights, we had paper and a pad put down, but he perferred to go outside - don`t know if his teething had anything to do with it.

The little monkey also decided to rip up the pad and shred the paper:mad:, and after a while I had enough of collecting small pieces of paper from the kitchen floor, he sleeps in a basket behind a stair gate, he used to have the door closed until he decided to scratch it at night - oh the joys of a puppy. Finally the paper was lifted and he has been a lot better, waking at 5.40 more or less every morning. I don`t remember my older dog being this much trouble but I guess they are all different and get there in the end - hope I have`nt put you off.

Back