• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Had to take Harley to Emergency Vet yesterday.

Sabby

:(I had to take Harley to the Emergency Vet yesterday afternoon. He started being sick about 11.30 am and he must have been sick about 10 to 12 times in about 2 hours. In the end there was nothing left for him to bring up. I was terrified as this is how Ebony was when she had a real nasty gastro bug. She ended up 3 days at the vets.
Well I took him to the vets and his temperature was ok he wasn’t dehydrated and his tummy felt ok. He gave him three injections, Betamox LA, Cerenia Vial and Zantac Vials. One is a strong antibiotic in case he has a bug and one was for his sickness. The vet said to feed him chicken and rice last night and to carry on feeding that for a few days. And if he wasn’t better this morning to bring him back in for an X-ray in case he has something stuck. I must say mine don’t chew or eat anything they shouldn’t but you never know.
Well I feed him last night and this morning and everything has stayed down so far. I just hope and pray that whatever he had the injections sorted it out. The only thing what worries me a bit is that he hasn’t been to the loo yet, he is sleeping a lot and he is very clingy. I know he is Mummy’s boy but he won’t leave my site and he is sleeping on my lap or right next to me. My husband said that it is because the sickness has taken a lot out of him and he just wants his mum.
Hope he is right.

Oh I am so so sorry. This sounds like what happened to my neighbors Cavalier. LuLu (her name) spent several days at vet, tests were run, had to get fluids, and they had no idea what it was. She has another cavalier so it was strange. I don't know if they ever figured it out and many details but it was so scary for her. LuLu is doing fine now.

It must be scary. I'm thinking of you (hugs)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear this Sabby, what a dreadful scare for you :(

It does really take it out of them vomiting like that, he will be off for a few days I should think. Keep a careful watch on him to make sure he does poo normally, and if you are worried, 'phone the vet again.

You did :xctly:the right thing going to the vets, these things can turn nasty very quickly, so well done on taking prompt action.

Betamox LA is the antibiotic, Cerenia is for nausea and Zantac inhibits stomach acid production - the antibiotics might be making him feel a bit rough too :(

Do hope he will be feeling much better soon :flwr:

I hope he gets better soon.We have one who's just started vomiting in the last half hour.She hasn't even been out to pick up a virus..Looks like a trip to the vet in the morning.:(
Sins

boy, I've been there before with our Lhasa Julie - it was so worrisome, so I know how you feel. We were so scared.

Hoping everything is back to normal really soon. :hug:

I hope he feels better soon. Keep us updated as to how he's doing. They are a worry aren't they?

Poor Harley - give him a gentle get well :hug:from all of us. Hope he is feeling better soon.

Poor Harley,

Hopefully he's over the worst and now just needs to cuddle his Mum. Wishing him a speedy recovery:hug:

Thank you all for your well wishes.
Harley seemed better yesterday even wanting to play fetch.
He got me up this morning at 5 o’clock for his first poo since Tuesday. What concerned me a bit is that the first bit was very dark nearly black the rest was a more brown colour not runny but not formed. (Sorry for the description) I know black can mean blood internally.
Then about 8 o’clock he wanted to go out again but only to eat grass, not a good sign. I called him in and I thought maybe he is hungry (as I given him really small portions) . My Ebony is sick when she is hungry and I don’t feed her on time. So I gave him chicken & rice and he was ok, but he been really clingy again this morning.

I phoned the vet and spoke to a nurse explaining everything. She said that the injection could make his poo that way, and that she wouldn’t think it be an obstruction after all this time. To bring him in if he is sick again or had diahria.
Meant to go shopping this morning but I don’t want to leave him. Can’t help but worry.

Oh no, what a scare for you. Sounds like something he ate disagreed; you were right to be on the safe side (I think anyone who has been through a fast decline with bleeding gastro or a poisoning never takes something like this casually :flwr:). Glad he is seeming a lot better today. It is normal for them to not have to have a bowel movement for a while after they get those injections; they really dry them up and calm the bowel. (y)

Lots of healing thoughts coming your way from me and the Wagtails for little Harvey. Do hope he will be his usual cheeky chappy self very soon. They do scare us sometimes, don't they?:wggle:

I'm glad Harvey is doing better. Hopefully he'll let you get a good night's sleep tonight!

Back