• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Clingy Chamberlain

Chamberlain

Chamberlain has become very clingy with me, a little part of me LOVES that he picks my lap over anyone else’s to snuggle on (okay a BIG part of me hehe) But the rational part of me knows that it’s not healthy for either of us.

I know that all breeds (not just Cavaliers) can bond with their family and also bond closely with one member of that family. I knew that Cavaliers love their humans…well actually any human…

But with all the reading I did, I did not come across anything that gave me any insight into how attached he would be to me.

I knew he was attached to me but I did not know how badly it was until we went home for Christmas.

Granted he had never been around that many people before and he was in a strange place. But family members would pick him up and as long as I was in eye sight he would be calm….but only for a few minutes. He would then wiggle out of whosever arms he was in to get to me. If I left the room he would cry and search for me. If anyone other than me let him out to go to the bathroom, he wouldn’t go and had to be put on a leash because he would run back to the house to find me.

I felt very bad because my grandmother who is thinking of buying a Cavalier, wanted to snuggle with him but he kept wiggling away from her to get to me! By the second to last day, Chamberlain would snuggle with my brother, father and mother but for only short amounts of time and only if I was there, sitting next to them.

Chamberlain loves my husband and had no problem staying home alone with him while I am at work; however, if we are at home, he always picks my lap and will follow me around the house. He is not afraid of people, he loves people. I believe that he felt safe at my parents home, he played great with my parents two dogs and loved getting treats from my parents for doing tricks and just being cute. So I know it's not a shyness problem.

I am not sure if it was more apparent because he was in a strange place or his age (four months). I don’t really have a problem with his clinginess; I guess I just wanted to know if it’s a puppy thing, a Cavalier thing or just his thing…lol

Velcro dogs...

I think all cavaliers are like that. My Andy is complete velcro boy, following me everywhere, he is even waiting for me on bath mat while I'm taking my shower... He was always mammys boy, but after his accident, he wouldn't leave me for a minute... Since we got Lily, it's a little bit better, he's got his sister to play with, but if I'm home, he's always in the room I'm in. He loves all the other humans in our house, but not as much as me...If I'm at work, he would lay in the hall with his head on my shoe an wait... Lily, on the other hand, loves everybody, but Andy is her favorite, so she's following him. So it's both of them with me all the time and I love it!:l*v:

I think all cavaliers are like that.

If I'm at work, he would lay in the hall with his head on my shoe an wait... Lily, on the other hand, loves everybody, but Andy is her favorite, so she's following him. So it's both of them with me all the time and I love it!:l*v:

Phew....I am just glad it's not just him!

Chamberlain also lays on my shoes when I am gone! I miss that puppy when I am at work! I wish I worked at a company that let dogs come to work!

My Riley is the exact same way. If I am not around, he will cuddle with my husband. Once, my mother came over to puppy sit. I came home and she told me that he went to his crate when I left and didn't come out until he heard my car (I was gone for about 3 hrs).

My Riley is the exact same way. If I am not around, he will cuddle with my husband. Once, my mother came over to puppy sit. I came home and she told me that he went to his crate when I left and didn't come out until he heard my car (I was gone for about 3 hrs).

:rotfl:Silly puppy, he missed his mom!!

I was embarrassed because I had been talking Chamberlain up for months...how sweet and cuddly he is and how he will fall asleep on your lap...blah blah and then I get home and won't go to ANYONE'S lap!

They are funny!! Take care it doesn't grow into a bigger issue, Cassie is a clingy moo at times, when I come home/get up I make minimal fuss of her so hopefully she will learn that being chilled out gets more attention! Of course other times of the day she gets lots of attention. She will still pin most visitors down for a special Cassie face hug/smother if she gets the chance so in that way she is less like Chamberlain!!

I have three Cavaliers and before that I had X Breeds.
My two girls are the two oldest Cavalier and Harley is the youngest. As most Cavaliers my two girls like a fuss and cuddle. When I got Harley I was just being made redundant and was at home for 10 month and then last year I was dismissed from my job for medical reasons and I have been home again for the last year. Well my Husband thinks that Harley is so bonded with me because of that, but I believe different. I first saw the litter when they were 1 week old (because I am friends with the breeder) and we choose Harley when he was only 4 weeks old. I never forget at 6 weeks my friend was holding him and he struggled to come to me, and she said Harley knows his mum already. Like Chamberlain, Harley wouldn’t let anybody pick him up when he was a pup and he struggled so much that I had to tell people not to pick him up. Since the day he came home he never has left my site. I never had a dog as easy to train as Harley, we do Rally Obedience and Agility and everybody comments on how focused Harley is on me. I truly believe you only get a dog like this once in a life time.
Don’t worry about it enjoy the special bond you have with your boy.

I have three Cavaliers and before that I had X Breeds.
My two girls are the two oldest Cavalier and Harley is the youngest. As most Cavaliers my two girls like a fuss and cuddle. When I got Harley I was just being made redundant and was at home for 10 month and then last year I was dismissed from my job for medical reasons and I have been home again for the last year. Well my Husband thinks that Harley is so bonded with me because of that, but I believe different. I first saw the litter when they were 1 week old (because I am friends with the breeder) and we choose Harley when he was only 4 weeks old. I never forget at 6 weeks my friend was holding him and he struggled to come to me, and she said Harley knows his mum already. Like Chamberlain, Harley wouldn’t let anybody pick him up when he was a pup and he struggled so much that I had to tell people not to pick him up. Since the day he came home he never has left my site. I never had a dog as easy to train as Harley, we do Rally Obedience and Agility and everybody comments on how focused Harley is on me. I truly believe you only get a dog like this once in a life time.

Don’t worry about it enjoy the special bond you have with your boy.

Thank you so much for your post, it really helped. After reading your post I can see the similarities between Harley & Chamberlain.

He is focused on me and was a dream to housebreak and has been very easy to train so far. My mother was watching me put Chamberlain through his "paces" on Skype and commented and on how focused he is on me, he never takes his eyes off me! We never had to do the "look at me" command; he knew it from the word go!

Back