• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How many Calories?

Lani

I have had Lucky and Sparky on "The Honest Kitchen" for the last three months or so.

It's a dehydrated food you mix & they are doing really great on it, but I think I might be overfeeding them.

It is 446 calories per cup. I have been feeding them 1/2 cup 2x a day (it is a dehydrated food that you mix).

Both guys seem like they have been gaining a little weight, and with Winter and our walks getting shortened because of icy sidewalks, I don't want this to get out of hand ... Sparky I think could due to lose a couple pounds.

How many calories do you think I should be feeding them? :confused: Lucky was pretty fit when he was 20 lbs. (not sure where he is now! ) Sparky is substantially smaller than Lucky though he's broad chested. He probably should be 3-4 lbs lighter than Lucky if he were really fit.

I just want to make sure if I have been overfeeding I take care of it right away so they don't get fat and put any unnecessary strain on their hearts.

FYI - in case you are interested here is the info on it -
http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/force/

It's still a pretty new/niche food and hard to find but I talked my groomer into stocking it for me ... and she does free delivery to my office. :)

I don't think anyone can tell you how many calories to feed as dogs are all individuals - with different metabolisms and activity levels.

My two litter sisters are very close in size, yet one is more active than the other and tends to burn calories faster so needs quite a bit more food than her sister.

I always judge weight by the look and feel of the dog - once you know the right weight for your dog, you can if necessary weigh them regularly to check, but this will help http://roycroftinformationcenter.com/Roycroft Cavaliers/Roycroft Cavalier Care Feeding new.html

scroll down to photos

Thanks Nick. I had seen those photos before which is why I thought I had a problem. Lucky used to look a lot like #1, but lately it looks more like #2!

Also I searched and found a post by Cathy Moon where she said how many calories she was feeding her dogs - it was a LOT less than I've been feeding mine.icon_whistling

Sparky is harder to tell because he's got very fluffy fur. I can only tell when he is in the bath. A couple years ago after his coat came in I had a panic that he gained so much weight and I didnt' notice - then I bathed him and he was thinner than Lucky!!

Today is bath day so I'll have a better look at Sparky and I'm going to start decreasing both their portions since they are really not that active in the winter with the snow and ice. Neighbors are not great about their sidewalks and we have to turn around whenever we encounter patches of ice ... makes for short walks and little exercise.

Back