• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Playing tug with SM

Zumie05

Just out of curiosity, do dogs that have SM tend to stay away from games like playing tug? I would imagine that could cause a lot of discomfort, but perhaps only if the SM had progressed to a certain point. Do any of the dogs here with mild SM enjoy a good old game of tug?

The reason why I am asking is because Coco loves playing tug and thrashing toys about, and I have been curious if this is a good sign or if I am just extremely paranoid.

The only consistent thing I've found with all the affected dogs I have known or have known of, is that they hate the camera flash. However many dogs who have good scans hate it too, so it's not a good indicator.

We used to think that affected dogs would not play hard, chase a ball, tug toys, shake their toys vigourously etc etc, but you always get the odd one who proves you wrong.

So the only definite way to know is by MRI scan.

I know Flash doesn't clinically have SM yet. Just CM with extreme symptoms... But on his GOOD days....He is a crazy hyper puppy that is bouncing off the walls, playing tug of war, tackling our German Shepard, chasing the cats, shaking his toys VIGOROUSLY and just plan being normal.
Unless he is having a really bad day/episode he will normally try to play while having they symptoms of rubbing his face, pawing his head or scratching.

Nicki - When you say the affected dogs hate the camera flash.. HOW do they hate it? Just wondering because over the holidays with all the photo taking I have noticed it is much harder to take "good" pictures of Flash. In the past he has always "posed" for photos and he would get lots of treats. He would get SO excited just seeing the camera because he knew I would be bringing treats.

Now he really doesn't want to be in the photo. He gets the sad squinty eyes expression. It's almost impossible to get an excited look out of him now. When I do take his photos I'm starting to get a LOT of them with the expression below. Ears set down, eyes squinting and just overall sad expression. I swear a few seconds before I snapped the photo he was all happy and jumping around. After I put the camera away he was fine. Just wondering if it's the same thing you were talking about...

DSCN1947.jpg

Sadly that's exactly it Shannon :(

Tend to close their eyes, just look really sad.

I guess if they have a headache then the camera flash would be unpleasant for them.

Sweet photo though, that wee rescue boy has SO much personality. The wee girl looks really timid but very sweet.

Do I see a Kitty trying to get into the shot too? :c*t:

The only other thing I thought of is that they've all hated being groomed - some just pulling away a bit others really hating it - and having their nails cut is even worse.

Again though both things that I have seen in "normal" dogs - Kayleigh at 8 months had one of the best MRI scans I've seen, but she's always hated having her nails done, I've done them regularly and gently since she's been a tiny puppy, same as the other two and they are both fine....just one of those things.

Leo loves playing tug with Jaspar -- doesn't toss his head as hard as Jaspar but he didn't when he was younger either --but he loves a good game of tug of war. :)

Molly and Dougall play tug, not for very long though. If Dotty plays Tug she hakes her head where as the other two don't.

I hadn't noticed anything with the Camera Flash, when I get the camera out Molly sits up straight and I always thought she enjoyed posing, will re-assess that.

As far as Nail Clipping is concerned, this was one of the things that alerted me to something more sinister.
Before Molly was diagnosed with sm, the vet started to clip her nails and she screamed, I stopped him immeidately knowing something was very wrong, it turns out this was nerve pain :( Since being on pain meds it hasn't been a problem, I clip her nails myself now very often, I am only taking off little bits, I don't let them get to long as I feel if you are cutting of big bits it causes a vibration to the nerve. Sounds daft but it seems to work.

Our Sophie loves to shake her toys violently, as if to kill them, and I sometimes worry that she may develop SM from her own play actions.

Thank you for posting that picture of Flash, I tend to learn better by seeing and reading information!

Sadly that's exactly it Shannon :(

Tend to close their eyes, just look really sad.

I guess if they have a headache then the camera flash would be unpleasant for them.

Sweet photo though, that wee rescue boy has SO much personality. The wee girl looks really timid but very sweet.

Do I see a Kitty trying to get into the shot too? :c*t:

The only other thing I thought of is that they've all hated being groomed - some just pulling away a bit others really hating it - and having their nails cut is even worse.

:cry*ing: I never thought about the Camera Flash until I saw your post about hating the camera. I feel so bad trying to get him to "pose" for holiday photos.:cry*ing:

I haves started to see the same expression when he is having a bad episode. I can't believe I didn't put 2 and 2 together! :sl*p: No more pictures with a camera flash.

Flash doesn't mind his nailing being cut but he can't stand to be brushed on his back near his tail. I think this goes along with the neuro suspecting he has a syrinx farther down his spine.

Hey you didn't know :( don't worry, you know now. You can try outside photos in good daylight, you might be able to get nice photos like that.

Ruby gets herself in to position as soon as the camera comes out but we have never used a flash as I always thought of how much I hate a flash and assumed the same for the dogs.
I have some absolutely beautiful photos that really capture her hazel coloured eyes.

Tug of war however is the one thing that first got me to thinking that something was wrong and it is actually the first clinical symptom that is listed on her veternary history from when she was only 11 months old- she yelped horribly when playing and she hasnt really played a game of tug since. Little did I know back then. She also used to chase a ball and play vigorously with her toys but the only time she picks up a toy these days is to tempt Charlie away from his chew.

Its actually very funny indeed- if she wants his chew she will pounce on a toy and shake it a bit- he instantly runs to it all excited. She then drops it faster than you can say NO and nicks his chew- CRAFTY COW!!

But she will still play occasionally and i love it when she grabs a soft toy and runs over to me- all i do is get down on the floor and say "oooh im gonna get it" "yes I ammmmmm"- she gets all excited BUT i never go to take it she just enjoys holding it while I ast all silly!!!
You can still adapt fun and play in your own way- we also play hide and seek with a Prey dummy that i put biscuits in and when she finds it and brings it back i open it up and give her a couple- she LOVES that game!!!

I wish Lola would realise she had SM because she just carries on like there is nothing wrong most of the time! Rope toys are her favourite :l*v: She plays tug with the other dogs and shakes her head, which i try to stop her doing because it must hurt, and she runs around the house like a mad hatter playing with Heidi and Joey lol

Its great to hear all these stories of SM dogs carrying on like normal! The rescue dogs look to be doing so well too.

Out of curiosity, why is it that SM dogs are sensitive to camera flashes? Maybe similar to people who dislike having flash photography taken of them when they have a headache..

Blondie plays tug of war! She also violently shakes her her toys as if she wants to punish them. :) I noticed the same thing with the flash though on mine.. Squinty eyes. Even though I can't see how strong cameraflash would be pleasant for any dog...
Mine also doesnt like to be brushed on the backside (or touched near her back legs) and hates nail clipping though isnt vocal about that.

Out of curiosity, why is it that SM dogs are sensitive to camera flashes? Maybe similar to people who dislike having flash photography taken of them when they have a headache..

If their pain is anything like a migraine, any sort of bright light probably adds to the misery.

I wish Lola would realise she had SM because she just carries on like there is nothing wrong most of the time! Rope toys are her favourite :l*v: She plays tug with the other dogs and shakes her head, which i try to stop her doing because it must hurt, and she runs around the house like a mad hatter playing with Heidi and Joey lol

Don't worry, if it hurt her, she wouldn't keep doing it.

I know what you mean Zumie05, I don't play tug of war with Dylan. He has bad, but well managed, SM. Tug of war is his favourite game though! He brings me or his sister Poppy a rope toy and barks at us. I'll turn the game into fetch instead but when Poppy plays, she pulls him, she doesn't keep tugging. Here's what my two do, I put it on youtube, it's so cute!

Poppy takes Dylan for a ride.

Back