• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

More Anal Glands Questions Pls And Video

Brian M

Hi

Rosie was scooting and chewing her feet a lot again last week so as per normal took to the vets to have them checked and emptied which they did and also an injection to reduce the itching and irritation .And she started again this Monday so to give me peace of mind and to ensure she is OK we are going again tonight but a few questions please .
She only seems to chew her feet followed by scooting first thing in the morning ,could this just be a normal part of her daily routine IE I have a shower and shave and Rosie has a chew and a scoot .?
Any comments re Anal Gland removal ,IE is it dangerous is it worth doing or is it ?

and

This is a little video of Rosie just prior to taking her to North West Surgeons for her patella operation and part of the reasoning why the surgeons decided not to operate but to continue with exercise to strengthen her and to continue observation .So if you do view you will see she shows absolutely no pain or discomfort only happiness and joy .:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22730263@N07/5302500455/

Thanks

Rosie and Brian

Hi, I have done a simple explanation of anal gland problems on Cavalier Matters, it is under General Care ! Have you tried putting Bran in her food ?

Video of Rosie and the girlies are great, look like they are really enjoying themselves.

Hi T

They have been having a teaspoon of Holland and Barrett natural branflake and one square of Shredded Wheat each per meal for the last two plus years as well as Pro Fibre from Vet UK .I am more inclined now to think that it is just a part of Rosie's daily morning routine and will not proceed down the path of removal though I would like more information on it from the better educated members so I will be better prepared for my Phd on "The Care and Performance of A G ".:)

Hi Brian

I think the op is quite a massive one and there is a high risk of incontinence. I did consider it for Bella when she had an impacted gland and very bad infection. She was in the vets for 3 days on a drip for pain relief. She always has full glands even though she has them emptied once a month and is fed a hi oat diet. I think if she's doing ok having them emptied and there's no problem then I'd leave alone. She may just enjoy having a good old scoot you know.:wggle:

Hi

We saw one of the practice partners who hadnt examined Rosie for over a year ,so he brought himself up to date via her notes on his comp then checked her patella checked her skin examined all four feet checked her glands ,eyes ,ears and general condition then commented all fine as well as can be expected and no charge .
I think I am getting paranoid ,but if I am well at least I know Rosie is as well as can be expected even though I am not ,Oh Well . :)

Any comments re Anal Gland removal ,IE is it dangerous is it worth doing or is it ?

Monty had his anal glands removed because he developed an infection that did not clear, despite antibiotics for many months.
They had to make an unusually deep incision and I was warned at that point that he may be incontinent of faeces. Fortunately that did not happen, he was such a good dog indoors that he would have been so upset by the loss of control.

Removal is not something to be undertaken lightly and I do think that some vets can suggest it too soon. I have known dogs that have had two or three episodes of anal gland abscess and then gone on to live into old age with no more scooting problems.

I do now give all my dogs a little bran in their food every day.

Scooting when the gland is empty could be due to slight soreness. Try cleaning the offending backside with baby wipe & smear on a little vaseline for a few days.

Hello Margaret

As per your comment ,at 6.30 am today one backside and associated glands cleaned with baby wipes then a little vaseline smeared on all ,then Rosie went downstairs for a little scoot:( but I shall persevere.:)

Obvious question, but have you wormed Rosie lately? Worms can also cause scooting.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hello Kate

Hope you are all fine and thanks for your reply .Yes they are wormed on schedule with Drontal ,I keep a spread sheet with the all on and record weekly weights and also dates for worming and Frontline treatments and with feeding raw diet I am especially vigilant with worms.

I am now more of the opinion that is what Rosie does when she wakes up ,it is part of her first thing in the morning ritual but unfortunately like a lot of Cavalier owners one becomes paranoid with their health but Mr Shepherd was quite happy after his medical inspection of her that she is as well as can be expected considering shes a Cavalier .:confused:

Back