• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Show Potential?

Zumie05

When I got Coco, my breeder told me I could show her but not breed. I love dog shows and watching them..and if Coco has no chance of making it in the ring I would love to get her into junior handling since they judge the kids and not the dogs hehe... but I wanted some opinions on Coco's body if she may have show potential at all. I am going to talk to my breeder more too but I wanted to post on here first to think about it more.

First off, Coco has a lighter chin and and the hair at the bottom of her neck marking is very light brown, but definitely not white. Her chin seems to have a tad bit of white...so as far as faults go I think that might be one, but is it a disqualifying one? She has a scissors bite, and is expected to have a very straight silky coat when it comes in. As far as ear set, eyes, head shape, body, etc, I am not an expert.

Also, it seems like as Coco is growing that her hind end is taller than her front end... is this just because she is going through an awkward growing phase, or will she stay like that, and is that a fault?

Here are some pics! I have been practicing "stacking" her (although I have no idea how to, she really just does stand stay :p)

IMG_5546.jpg

stand-1.jpg

cocostand.jpg

I can't tell you if she has show potential but I can tell you she made me say "Awwwww" out loud when I saw these pics. I can imagine my Poppy must have looked like that when she was little. She's a doll, go for it!

The white is a fault in the solid colors, but pigment is produced by cells that migrate out from the spinal cord, so they may fill in still. Golden retrievers are born with white toes all the time, and it's just that the cells haven't finished migrating.

CKCSC, USA allows spayed and neutered dogs to be shown in some classes just for fun/handling experience, not just kids.

I'm getting a little girl who I'll be spaying and showing, because I love dog shows, but have no interest in getting serious with it.

Remember that as long as you tell Coco she is the prettiest dog in the show, she'll believe you!

I'm no expert in showing. I actually wanted a Cavalier so I could start showing in the conformation ring =) My best friend has been showing dogs for over 20+ years so I had a great mentor.

I took Flash to a couple of shows and we LOVED it! Even if your pup is not "show" potential the puppy classes are SO much fun! I HIGHLY recommend giving it a try if you want to. Plus you will get a much better idea of how your puppy stacks up to the other Cavaliers. The puppy classes are really more for fun and learning then anything.

I'm assuming your pup is some kind of KC registered? I can't remember if you are in the US or not but if she is UKC or AKC I would highly recommend starting out in UKC shows. If she is AKC you can cross register her into UKC. UKC is not as "formal" as AKC. Meaning you don't have to dress up all fancy and less stressful for beginners (in my opinion.). Also the judges are usually SUPER nice! I had a couple of Judges point out Flash's good and bad points. Plus every judge is different so they all see something different. They even gave me pointers on how to stack him at his best.

As far as her colors.. I have had several people tell me the markings are not as important as overall structure. I have been "told" a judge will pick a slightly less then perfect marked dog if it has a better structure then it's competition. But like I said I'm not an expert.

And the high in rear thing.. Flash was that way too. It seems to be a puppy thing. The back end grows faster. LOL At 9 months he has finally leveled out now to a much straighter top line.

I would say give it a try! It can't hurt! Plus you get to met other Cavalier owners!!!! Just make sure you are doing it for fun! It's just my opinion but try not to make the "WIN" matter as much as having a good time with your dog. I went to have fun and Flash had a blast! I did see some handlers there that were only in it for the "win" and you could tell how hard they were on not only themselves but their dogs.

Even if you don't win first place in the ring .. it is a great learning experience for your pup so if she does go into junior handling she will already know what's going on.

Zumie, you must be so very proud of Coco ..... she is just the sweetest looking puppy, and standing still like that for a photo shoot .. wow.

If I was a judge ... those eyes would certainly win me over!

I would think you should talk to your breeder?
Most breeders love getting feedback and updates about their puppies and I'm sure he/she'd be happy to receive some photos and maybe a video of Coco on the move.
If you're far away from your breeder,then maybe they could put you in touch with another breeder or handler who lives close by who would be able to give you proper advice and maybe take a look at your puppy and offer an opinion.
Sins

Agree with Sins. (y) Also show classes would not be as 'serious' for a spayed female as for the show breeder type settings -- whichmakes it fun and relaxed and dogs I do not think are assessed in quite the same way?

Colouring/markings are the least important aspect of a show dog.

If I were to give an amateur opinion -- and having spent a bit of time around breeders -- I would say she isn't, like almost all dogs sold as pets, serious show quality -- right now would seem to have a slightly arched back and also long and narrow muzzle, what is known as being 'snipy' which would be a more serious fault in the ring. A bit of a domed head maybe rather than flat on the top of the skull as well. Two of my own dogs are very snipy, one has longer legs than ideal, one too long-bodied and short legged; only one and maybe a second might be OK in a ring but still not anything that would bring home ribbons. :lol: Adorable and cute but don't have the heads and bodies for proper show dogs (that is why they are pets... :D!) A breeder would be able to give you much more accurate feedback though -- it is really too hard to tell from pictures. Nicki or Margaret would know more. Handling classes/ringcraft can be really fun to do, as others say. :)

If you want to see a comparison with some serious show breeder puppy pics, check out these -- you can see the very flat backs and short plushy muzzles:

Show quality puppy is the top ruby:

http://roycroftinformationcenter.co...Roycroft Puppies KC Fiona litter July 09.html

also:

http://roycroftinformationcenter.co...roft Puppies Timmy Honey Nov 2009 litter.html

I wouldn't worry about it either way; I'd get some feedback from your breeder or another show breeder, but with a spayed pet you are not looking at serious shows anyway and can enter her in the more casual classes and have lots of fun. :D

I am glad that you posted this. I have been thinking of entering Chamberlain into some shows just for fun and experience.

The training facility I am going too has conformation classes. I plan taking them after his basic obedience class!

Keep us updated after you talk to the breeder.

Awww, she is adorable!! I have been showing Cavaliers for the last few years (two have become Dual Champions) and if I were evaluating this puppy, I would say that (as you suspected), she is "high in the rear", which means her topline isn't level. She also doesn't have enough angulation--if you look at her back legs, you can see that where they should have a nice curve (turn of stifle) they are more "straight". This may change some, as she is a puppy, but probably not enough.

BUT-- she is absolutely precious!! And, Junior handling is a lot of fun-- maybe you could have the kids take the classes and get her into the ring for practice. I love going to handling classes-- go and give it a try and see how you like it!I am definitely not an expert... but have spent a lot of time learning how to go over Cavaliers to evaluate their conformation. I still have A LOT to learn-- this is just an opinion. :)

Also, when you stack her, try to stack her more "four-square" to get a better view. If you look in the last picture, she is "A-framing". Picture the letter A. You want her to be stacked more like a square so you can see a better picture of her outline.

Good luck!! :)

Awww, she is adorable!! I have been showing Cavaliers for the last few years (two have become Dual Champions) and if I were evaluating this puppy, I would say that (as you suspected), she is "high in the rear", which means her topline isn't level. She also doesn't have enough angulation--if you look at her back legs, you can see that where they should have a nice curve (turn of stifle) they are more "straight". This may change some, as she is a puppy, but probably not enough.

BUT-- she is absolutely precious!! And, Junior handling is a lot of fun-- maybe you could have the kids take the classes and get her into the ring for practice. I am definitely not an expert... but have spent a lot of time learning how to go over Cavaliers to evaluate their conformation. I still have A LOT to learn-- this is just an opinion. :)

Also, when you stack her, try to stack her more "four-square" to get a better view. If you look in the last picture, she is "A-framing". Picture the letter A. You want her to be stacked more like a square so you can see a better picture of her outline.

Good luck!! :)

Thank you so much for your mini evaluation hehe. Is pretty much any registered dog allowed to show in the ring, so long as there is no disqualifying fault? I guess that is my main question; would Coco be welcome in the ring, or does she have anything that would not allow her to participate?

I definitely want to do junior handling, I have a 15 year old cousin who I think would really have fun with her.

Do you want to show her in CKCSC-USA or AKC shows? In both "clubs", she must be registered by that club. If you want to show her in the "Old Club" (CKCSC-USA) you need to join and become a member, as well. 6-9 months is the first puppy class.

As far as I know, any registered dog CAN be shown (the only reasons you might get banned would be things like aggressive behavior, or not having proof of current vaccines, also for AKC the dog must be intact with full registration). A "disqualifying" fault would mean that you will never get picked as the winner in your class, you would not be forbidden from exhibiting for something like a crossbite, or cow hocks. There was even a cavalier in NZ who had lost an eye due to an accident as a puppy, and he eventually earned a championship (he was otherwise a very nice specimen).

Go out intending to have fun and spend time with your dog, not to win. You'll get to meet other cavaliers, their owners and breeders. Plus shows are where the low cost heart screening is often available.

Back