• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

6 yr old cavalier with pancreatitis

njpetsitter

a friend of mine has a 6 yr old cavalier with pancreatitis...her sister is a vet but this is becoming an event going back and forth to pennsylvania constantly....i was wondering if anyone here has a cavalier with this and if they could share with me what they do for the dog and what kind of food works best?

feel free to email me directly at [email protected]
many thanks,
sonja

Sorry to hear this - yes we have had several Cavaliers with Pancreatitis [producing too much enzymes] and one with Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency - EPI [not producing enough enzyme].

Pancreatitis is sadly extremely painful, and does need veterinary attention.

I made my own version of Hills ID - the recipe came from a booklet they produced some years ago which contained home made versions of their diets. I found this very effective at clearing up diarrhoea episodes.

Measurements are USA cup measures but I've added my conversions!

Recipe 1 Highly Digestible diet for Dogs - cottage cheese and egg are very easy to digest

1/2 cup farina cooked to make 2 cups {Semolina, Cream of Wheat} 80g
– bring 400ml of water to the boil in a large saucepan, sprinkle in the semolina stirring constantly. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
1 1/2 cups creamed cottage cheese 375g {there are lots of recipes for cottage cheese on the Internet if you cannot obtain it locally}
1 large egg hard cooked {preferably free range}
2 tablespoons Brewers yeast – I use Engevita, produced by Marigold - from health food shops.
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon veg oil
1 teaspoon potassium chloride – available from E-bay
1 teaspoon dicalcium phosphate – available from E-bay, more readily available in the US.
1 teaspoon calcium carbonate – available from E-bay

Cook semolina {according to directions on packet including any salt}. Cool. Add remaining ingredients to semolina and mix well. Yield 2 lbs approx. I gave this amount to my 9.5kg dog over two days.

**Add a balanced supplement which fulfils the canine MDR for all vitamins and trace minerals eg SA37** {or a more natural supplement such as The Missing Link.}

More about both conditions here http://www.cavaliercampaign.com/other-health-problems.htm#pancreatitis

and here

http://cavalierhealth.org/pancreatitis.htm

The dog should be given a low fat diet - need to be very careful with treats, I think you can get the Antos cereal based ones which worked ok for us. Things like sweet potato chews are good too.

I was taught to give fluids safely [vet nurse - or her sister!! might be able to teach your friend ] and keep the dog hydrated, they may be able to manage an acute attack at home - I have experience of giving injections so was able to manage pain relief and anti-nausea treatments too. [I'm a trained micro-chipper]

Unfortunately two of my chronic pancreatitis dogs were over 12, and sadly we lost both of them with very severe attacks [they were battling other problems too, and it was hard to get their regular medication into them]. I think younger dogs stand a much better chance.

EPI is managed differently, by adding enzymes to the food, and has a much better prognosis.

Hope this helps?

The biggest thing with Pancreatitis is to give the pancreas a chance to rest (heal). Generally, most Vets here in the US keep the dog off food and fluids (by mouth) for 36-48 hours. (IV or subcuteous fluids are administered).

Then little by little, as the dog begins to recover, they are put on something, as suggested here, like Hill's ID because it is highly digestible. We've always used the canned version and mashed it down and added water to the food while the dog is recovering.

My Nash has had pancreatitis a couple times, the first being the only time he had to be at the Vets for a couple days. Nash unfortunately had enough damage to his pancreas that he ended up diabetic. But, we manage fine. About a year after his diabetes dx, he developed pancreatitis again, this time from nothing more than 'smelling' our cooking. We had to keep him in another end of the home when we cooked dinner for about 2 weeks so that he didn't have a flair up and we got his flair up under control. It was crazy.

I have several cans of ID available incase we see signs of a situation. Of course, always working closely with our Vet on the situation. But, Nash is 12 1/2, and has diabetes for a bit over 3 years, and we feel confident in handling the situation with the help of our Vet(s).

Hope that helps a bit.

Back