• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

abcess under tail .

Rubysmum

hi , had bit of a scare today . ruby yelped loudly this am as my hubby picked her up for a cuddle before going to work..she did it later when i gave her a cuddle so i knew somthing was wrong .. she then did it as she scratched her ear so you can imagine what i was thinking . i gave her a full examination to rule out any sprains etc. as i got to her tail end she was looking worried and when i lifted her tail there was the most sore , purple abcess :shock::shock:i cant believe its come up this quickly without me noticing :( i rang the vet and got an appointment for 4 30 .. anyway she didnt really settle all day then just now she went into the kitchen and i heard her yelp again.went in and theres loads of blood on the floor- its burst ! shes sound asleep now and must feel so much better but im still taking her to the vets , she may need antibiotics . in a way im relieved thats all it is but it was bloomin huge and i feel a bit bad for not knowing. has anyone had this with their dogs ? thanks, liz..

Leo developed an abcess following trouble with his anal glands once. The vet lanced it, he was put on antibiotics and I had to clean and bath it every day.

You try cleaning an abcess on a delicate part of a cavalier who has no intentions of letting you do so:yikes

I ended up putting him in the bath every morning and gently squirting the shower on the offending part!
The good news is the abcess healed beautifully, even the vet commented on it and asked me how I managed.

All the joys of owning a dog eh?

i can imagine:shock: ruby was keeping her tail well tucked in , thats how i knew something was going on there! now its burst the pain must have eased considerably but im letting her sleep as will have to get her the vets soon , hopefully keeping the area clean wont be difficult if its not that painful. im just astounded how quick its developed and then burst almost as soon as id become aware of it ..

Poor thing..

Baxter has one at present, we took him to the emergency vets on sunday as he was in obvious pain and when i looked saw one about the size of a 10p piece! they cleaned him up and he has been on antibiotics since sunday but he is really down and sorry for himself, we have to go back Friday.

I hope Ruby is ok and not too sore, poor thing

Poor thing..

Baxter has one at present, we took him to the emergency vets on sunday as he was in obvious pain and when i looked saw one about the size of a 10p piece! they cleaned him up and he has been on antibiotics since sunday but he is really down and sorry for himself, we have to go back Friday.

I hope Ruby is ok and not too sore, poor thing

thanks sarah , hope the same for Baxter too, has his burst ? we just got in from the vets she has been given antibiotics and has to go back next week , but its all emptied now so feels much better i should think ! always something isnt there ;)

Unfortunately these abscesses seem quite common in Cavaliers, and often stem from blocked anal glands. I've managed to avoid them so far, but am always watchful and have anal glands emptied by the vet every few months, just in case.

Am also a great fan of Burns food, which has definitely helped reduce the number of times I have to see my vet for that purpose quite considerably.

You have to follow your vet's instructions about cleaning it very carefully I think. Looked after a Toy Poodle who had had a burst abscess once and remember having to be careful - not at all easy with that breed!

Give Ruby a huggle from me and hope it all heals up very quickly.
Heartblowingpoog.gif

thanks wagtails.. ruby is on burns mini bites already . she never scoots or anything and it must have comeup very very quickly as i groom her most nights and check her over so it was awful to see it before it burst , like a blooming big grape :shock::shock:shes sleeping now and snoring in my ear lol, hate seeing them in pain :(

Hi yes Baxters burst, but they cleaned him up at the vets on sunday, we had no idea and felt awful! he had been a little quiet for a couple of days, but nothing i could put my finger on, he has been really really down, just laying about all week, but has brightened up today thank God! we take him back tomorrow.
Baxters are compacted, the vets need to empty them when we go, im definately going to try them on the burns as Poppy has to have hers emptied but she scoots and soon as we see that she gets done! Baxter we had noi idea poor little man!

How is Ruby doing? they just feel so sorry for themselves dont they? bless them. hope she is brighter and makes a speedy recovery!
x

hi, shes much better thank you, after it burst andi took her to the vet , i asked if i should bathe it and she said no it will clear up now with antibiotics . but it was a mess and i couldntleave it like that so i sat her in a warm bath with a little salt , and gently swished round her bum so the dried matter washed away . now i can see the wound thats left and its looking better ,just have to stop her licking it. i felt awful too, had no idea it was there, altho like youi knew there was someting i just couldnt put my finger on it...she was licking her lips a lot too and i think she felt ill for a while ... poor dogs i wish they could tell us when they feel bad . i will be keeping an eye on that area in future(y)hope baxters ok too . x

So glad she's feeling better, its really nasty and can look real bad. Thankfully it clears very quickly once its burst. I had the same thing with Bella and there really wasn't any warning. Just keep getting her glands emptied regular and all should be well

how is Bella doing? hope she is much better!

we had Baxter back at the vets on Friday and they have given him another course of antibiotics he has to go back next week or before if he is feeling worse, he also has a slight temprature.

they have advised us to take them both to be emptied monthly.. is this about right?
someone also told me to mix porridge oats, not the flakes into their food as that will help?

i hate the fact that Baxters were so full and we didnt notice and its come to him being poorly, but what are the signs? physical i mean as Baxter only scooted on the floor the night he started

Back