• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dry Ear Flaps

murphy's mum

I was just brushing Misty, and noticed she has lots and lots of dry skin on her ear flaps, it's flaking off like dandruff. I haven't noticed it before now, but it looks really bad. I gave up combing them and started using my nails to scratch some more free, but the skin underneath is very dry looking too :confused:

Any ideas on what I can do for her? It must be quite annoying having all this dry skin. Her ear hair is just growing back in too, as she got them shaved on the inside at the groomers in December after having a bad ear infection.

Her ears don't seem to be bothering her too much, she isn't scratching more than usual. The poor soul just looks like she needs Head & Shoulders for her dandruff :lol:

I'm wondering if the treatment for the ear infections caused the skin to dry out? I'm presuming you mean the inside of the ear flap?

Often they are alcohol based which can be very drying following a period of exteneded use.

I would also want to check for Cheyletiella, a mite, often referred to as walking dandruff which can give the appearance of dandruff. This usually responds quickly to treatment with something like Frontline but check with your vet. Usually this is very itchy though.

Are you using a harsh shampoo? Go for an all natural dog shampoo with essential oils formulated for dogs with sensitive skin.
Maybe look at diet - Omega-3 fatty acid supplements may help [try oily fish once or twice a week]; many people have success with salmon oil such as that available from http://www.luposan.com/en/lachsol.html [purchase from http://www.markusmuehle.de/en/] or fish4dogs

Possibly even an oatmeal paste - can be quite soothing to dry, itchy skin in a dog. To make an oatmeal salve, mix oatmeal with water to form a thick paste. Apply it to your dog's skin and place a warm towel over the area. Keep your dog calm for fifteen minutes before removing the towel and the oatmeal paste. Apply this treatment every day and you should see improvement over time. You can also purchase oatmeal dog shampoos that have a soothing effect on canine skin.

Maybe have a search on the board too to see if anyone else has any ideas?

When Dotty came to us, her skin was in terrible condition, was very dry and her coat seem to have a lot of dandruff. We added to her food Yumega plus it contains, omega 3 & 6 seed oils from golden flax, star flower and salmon oil. I am not saying this was the total answer but I feel sure it helped. The main thing is to find out what the problem actually is.

Yes Niki, the inside, I too am now wondering if the treatment has caused the skin to dry out.

Nothing in the house or the environment has change. She is fed on James Wellbeloved white fish, and has been since we got her. She hasn't been shampooed since the beginning of December, and we use a sensitive shampoo anyway.

It's not getting any better so I'm going to call the vets in the morning for an appointment, fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

Back