• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Adopting a Cavalier - advice sort :)

Tempest

Hello - I'm quite new to the boards and just wanted some advice really as to whether adoptiong a Cavalier could be the right move for us :p

We lost our previous dog (a Springer cross) around 18 months ago after a long illness and decided to have a bit of a break from having dogs as in all honesty I was just too upset to adopt again :( We're starting to think about adopting again and I have always wanted a Cavvie - my aunt had one we were growing up and I absolutely adored her. The main issue is that I'm not sure our working situation would be suitable.

We both work full time and I'm a teacher so leave the house at 7.45 and am home by 4pm and obviously have the holidays off, we'd also plan to have a dog walker/sitter coming in for an hour at lunchtime (which was what we did with our previous dog). My OH is also home from work at 1.30pm on a Friday so it's just 4 days that are 'full days'. Ideally we'd want an older Cavalier who doesn't need a huge amount of exercise and is happy to snooze the day away and wouldn't be stressed by being alone at times. I know Cavaliers are very much people dogs so I wasn't sure that they'd be happy with our set up?

I've also contacted the breed rescue for the UK and was told that they don't rehome to working homes, even with a dog walker coming in during the day.

Am just really wondering in light of that if we should abandon the idea of a looking for a Cavalier or if people think that there might be an older Cavvie out there somewhere that could be happy with our situation?

We also have a young cat too so need a dog that's going to be bomb proof with cats as she's a bit of a livewire (we don't ask for much do we :p) The last thing we'd want to do would be to adopt a dog that was upset with us going out to work and couldn't cope with our setup so we're more than prepared for the fact that a Cav might not be the right choice for us at this time.

Based on what I've learned... I would not recommend it

Just my 10 cents worth here, but even working from home more than half of the week, it has not been a good situation for our Gracie. She is a puppy still (8 months) but Cavs really don't do well being alone for that long. She would need more than someone to visit and walk her...maybe someone you could leave her with that has a dog. Cavs love being with their humans .... just how they are.

I'm sorry Tempest but I don't think that your situation is quite right for a Cavalier at present. They have been bred for many years to be companions, they LOVE to be with you, involved in whatever you are doing. They would be deprived of your company for a huge amount of their waking hours.

It's great that you are keen to offer a home to a dog, and good that you have an arrangement with a dog walker.

You might find something like a retired Greyhound might suit you better, they need off lead running but only for short periods, 2 or 3 times a day [they are sprinters not long distance runners!] - the rest of the time they are couch potatoes!!

Obviously you would need to consider very carefully whether your lifestyle would be suitable, but they are affectionate dogs and there are so many in need of loving homes.

Yes there are some who happily live with cats - not all have such a strong chase instince (y)

I first would like to say that thinking about what's best and these things are very important. I actually work full time but I live close enough to come home and take ella out so she is not left all day. However, I wish I was there all the time. Some may say I'm not suitable or do enough, but I don't think so.

I also was faced with recently moving so I had to move somewhere that is close enough for me to come home. Ella is older and due to a condition she does not need much activity, but she needs attention. I don't know if I could give her anymore attention because when I'm with her, its all about ella. I have a friend that has a cavalier that works with me and they used to stay together. They love company :)

We have done doggie daycare but puppies are too young to start. I might not be the best person to ask or give the best answer, but sometimes its not about how much you are home, but how you spend that time together.

I would say 8 hours alone is a long time. You mentioned a dog walker. Maybe an older cavalier would be better. I know you asking these questions means one thing for sure, you would make a good pet owner.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

We both work full time. I leave the house at 8:45 and am home at just after 5. I do come home at lunch for an hour and a half and play with my two. Also, my husband works a half day on Fri. I think our situation works well as my two cavie boys are company for each other. I would not like to have just the one and leave it the long hours that we do. My guys mainly sleep when we aren't there anyway. We do spend a lot of time with them at night and on weekends. I know my two are very happy and well adjusted and they just love each other which is lovely to see. If you do decide to get two to provide company for each other please be aware that training two pups is a nightmare. I was well warned on here about it but I did it anyway.There is a sticky thread on it posted by Karlin which outlines the potential difficulties and challenges with training two young pups. It was really hard work but in my case it was worth it and I would do it all over again (I don't think I would ever have just one dog again). Maybe you could adopt two adult dogs?

I also feel quite strongly that Cavaliers are not dogs to be left alone for many hours. As Nicki said, they have been bred to be the archetypal lapdog for many many generations and just need human company. Even leaving them with other dogs does not really satisfy this requirement for the presence of their human.

There are very many dogs in rescue situations which struggle to find a new forever home, especially the older ones which are so often overlooked. Sometimes they have come from a situation in which they are used to being left and a good rescue will be able to advise you if any individual dog might suit your home circumstances and family situation.

Please PM me if you would like to know some good rescues in the UK. But please think very seriously about wanting a Cavalier while you are so much away from home. :wggle:

Personally I think it would be fine as long as the cavi you adopt isn't used to having someone around 24/7 already.

Many thanks for all your replies they're much appreciated :p

I can totally appreciate people's opinions that we wouldn't make a suitable home for a Cav, which is one of the reasons I wanted to seek some advice from people who know the breed well :p We'd never adopt a dog if we felt they wouldn't be happy with our situation and we'd always be guided by the rescue as to whether they thought any dog would be happy with us and our situation (as I'm sure there's lots of dogs that wouldn't be suitable for us).

There is a possibility that from September I may only be teaching part time rather than full time so that might open up more options for us :p

I know it's more important to find a dog who's personality/needs will fit in with us - I've just always always wanted a Cav and thought there might be a possibilty of finding an older chap/chapess that was used to be left and might fit in with our set up but I realise that's a long shot.

We definately wouldn't be adopting a puppy/young dog of any breed so would be opting for a dog of middle age upwards really (y)

I had thought about greyhounds but our cat is a real young livewire and I think she'd be a huge temptation to live with (plus I'm fairly set on wanting a smallish dog)

I've just always always wanted a Cav and thought there might be a possibilty of finding an older chap/chapess that was used to be left and might fit in with our set up but I realise that's a long shot.

We definately wouldn't be adopting a puppy/young dog of any breed so would be opting for a dog of middle age upwards really (y)

I had thought about greyhounds but our cat is a real young livewire and I think she'd be a huge temptation to live with (plus I'm fairly set on wanting a smallish dog)

It might not be as much of a longshot as you think! The rescues are getting increasing numbers of Cavaliers in these days, sadly. Some come from breeders, some are strays and even end up in pounds, some are hands-in from owners who can no longer look after them for one reason or another.

Many people think that rescues are either full of crossbreeds or Staffies and other Bull breeds and that they do not really have either small dogs or pedigrees. This is a complete fallacy, as a browse round the rescue websites will quickly prove.

I do hope your circumstances will allow you to have the dog of your dreams one day. Cavaliers are SUCH a joy and it's always good to hear of people who are willing to offer a home to the older generation :d*g: (y)

May depend on what kind of dog you can find...

Good luck in whatever you decide. I am hoping that we can help my young Gracie through training to be less dependent on my hubby and I for attention most of the day. I think that Anniemac has done a great job with this... much better than I have, but may be just differences in their temperaments and my dog is just 8 months old.

HI

We have four young ladies all aged between two and four and have also had chidren and Luke our boy of 15 is certainly our last ,My girsl fulfill every dream I could ever imagine though often the house is like having four terrible twos children on the rampage causing strife and mayham in their path ,but I love it .One thing we also have is Dawn my wife who doesnt work and is their carer during the day ,so without my Dawn being there I dont think I could have Cavaliers ,they are people dogs and need company of humans 24/7 but I think they certainly give you back far more than anything you could poss take from them so I love every minute of the day when I am with them and when I am at work I so so miss them ,they are becoming me and me them they are my life . :)

HI

We have four young ladies all aged between two and four and have also had chidren and Luke our boy of 15 is certainly our last ,My girsl fulfill every dream I could ever imagine though often the house is like having four terrible twos children on the rampage causing strife and mayham in their path ,but I love it .One thing we also have is Dawn my wife who doesnt work and is their carer during the day ,so without my Dawn being there I dont think I could have Cavaliers ,they are people dogs and need company of humans 24/7 but I think they certainly give you back far more than anything you could poss take from them so I love every minute of the day when I am with them and when I am at work I so so miss them ,they are becoming me and me them they are my life . :)

Don't forget the trips with them to lukes karate class! 4 beautiful girls they are indeed

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Back