• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leaving Ella alone; now I think I need to change

anniemac

All of these posts about leaving Cavaliers alone has me worried. I knew when I got Ella, they are people dogs so I took her to day care or would leave her with another Cavalier.

This past year has changed with surgery, SM, etc. and she does not need to go to daycare. I don't want her to have that much activity. She doesn't like it anyway. My friend that I would leave Ella with her cavalier Kennedy, I stopped since her eye and because of other things. She would not see anything wrong with Ella and thought it was me and she was depressed. So I am over pretective. I don't want her running around too much but she does need to have fun. I am now thinking I should start to let her and kennedy stay together.

I work but go home for lunch. She is not left in a crate (already been crate trained) and is free to roam but usually stays on the couch with her puppy stairs and watches animal planet.

Kennedy is her age and not very active because if he was I know that would not be best. Do you think I need to change? She is a very social girl and that is due to day care. Sometimes too much, but she loves to be around others so maybe I need to not have her be by herself for 3 or more hours.

I think I pretty much know the answer but I do think it depends on the day. If she is not doing good, she will want to be by herself. When we do meet ups she will be social but then sometimes, will go get in a kennel to protect herself.

Maybe you can hire someone for a small fee to spend a few hours a day with her? Make sure it is someone you can trust. I know I used to "pet sit" for friends, family, co-workers and even customers when I worked at a pet store. Still do from time to time.

I wish I had a friend like yours...

That would be the perfect idea for us if we had someone in the area who would be willing and able to let my Gracie hang out with her Cav, at least sometimes. If you think they are a good match, I would go for it. I am assuming you could still visit her during the day when she is there?

Would Kennedy's owner still watch Ella a couple of days a week? That way she still has some socialization and play time. The ideal would be for her to have a crate/kennel at Kennedy's house that always has the door left open so that if she needs alone time she could just go in there and feel safe. I don't think Kennedy would bother her once she was in there. I know my dogs seem to respect the crate as a no touching or no playing zone for whomever is in there and they leave them alone. Maybe you could also bring her puppy stairs over when you go, if you have a car to transport them. And don't worry about your friend not being able to determine if anything is wrong with Ella, etc. She would certainly pick up on something major, but no one can watch her like you can, no one will notice the subtelties of her behavior like you will.

I haven't had just one dog in such a long time, I can't imagine ever living with only one - both for myself and for the dog. I think I will always have at least two. That way they can keep each other company. I've even gone so far as when the boys are at the groomers and Riley has a neurologist appointment, I will take Madison with me to the neuro so she won't be home alone. Is that being neurotic? I don't know. She's just never been home alone - ever. As a puppy she went from the breeder's house full of dogs to my house as the third dog.

Hope you figure this out Anne, for your sanity as well as Ella's. You need to feel comfortable with your decision whatever you choose to do.

I know her and I know she is happy around Kennedy. They really do well together. That is a good idea about the crate. She is also happy with me too, but my friend says I am greedy and always keep Ella to myself.

It is one thing during the day at work, but Kat (Kennedy's Mom) and I are not the same as we used to be which I have talked about before. However, I still try to bring her around kennedy as much as possible for Ella. Socialization is SO important! It is hard to explain to a young person why I don't go out anymore, and how my priorities have changed since Ella got sick. She comes first but I need to really get her around Kennedy more than I do. I try to but I need to do it more regularly. I live 5 minutes from work so I get to go home a bunch but you are right, she would like some "ken ken" time
attachment.php
every once in awhile.
attachment.php

Back