• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog Breeding establishments Bill 2010.

sins

As we all know by now,the Dáil will be dissolved on Tuesday next and a date given for the general election.
One of the most important pieces of legislation drafted during the lifetime of this Government was the Dog Breeding Establishments Bill.However,when the Green party pulled out of Government,it did so without the minister signing the Bill.
The portfolio has been passed to Social affairs minister Eamonn O Cúiv.
To date he has NOT signed the Bill into law either.
If this is not done by Today or Monday, Dogs in Puppy farms and large substandard breeding units will remain defenceless in the eyes of the law and it may be several years before any similar bill may come before the oireachtas again.
So if anyone knows the Minister,or feels like contacting his department,Please implore him to sign the darn thing:mad:
Sins

Good idea Sins, I'll see if I can figure out how to get some sort of a message to him.
Puppy farms don't have to be big establishments, have a look at this programme that was aired on TV3 last night - it features a 'small' puppy farm in Cork where the owner was hospitalised and the dogs were being left to the mercy of kind neighbours coming in to feed them. They were rescued by the Cork SPCA.
The programme also features a lovely Blenheim who had surgery for an elongated palate.
http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=31717&locID=1.65.473&page=1

I'm really sorry to hear this Sins. I know that there are a huge number of PFs in Ireland. It's a shame they can't all be closed down, but at least the Dog Breeding Establishments Bill could have made a difference.

I hope it's not too late and it gets signed! :mad:

I've just sent off an email. Hadn't realised the awful implications for Irish dogs when the Dail was dissolved. What a tragedy - so near and yet still potentially so far.

Do hope you can get up a head of steam for this one. Good luck :xfngr::xfngr:

Thanks for posting this.

Many members here helped to actually bring this bill into existence -- people in Ireland and all over the world sent letters and emails way back when all this was in draft stage. If it fails to be signed in -- a bill that was actually mostly completed at the behest of a previous Fianna Fail government!! and thus us not just a 'Green' bill as some in Fianna Fail later tried to paint it -- it will be to this government's shame.

Why Gormley however did not sign it before stepping down is something I will be asking another former Green minister I know. This was one of the pieces of legislation they really worked hard on and many dog breeders, the IKC, ISPCA, vets, researchers, rescues and dog owners supported this bill.

I think we should make sure that whenever an election candidate comes calling to the door looking for votes, that we bring the issue to their attention and ask what they intend to do about the bill.

It's so disappointing that this was not signed, I will also be asking election candidates the question when they call to my door. I can only imagine then amount of time that went into preparing that document and I'm sure the cost is excessive and it sits on a desk for 6 months without a signature :x What a waste!

Oh dear - I was upset to read the Dog World piece and realise that absolutely nothing has been done to get that document signed. What a terrible waste of effort. Do hope those of you involved will at least be able to challenge the candidates on the subject and make them realise, in no uncertain terms, that it won't just go away.

Nevergiveup.jpg

Back