• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

dirty ears

nicola

Hi, I checked Henry's ears and they are quite a dirty brown inside. I am going to get vet to prescribe advocate in case its ear mites but can anyone advise on how to clean his ears out? Should I use cotton buds or cotton pads? Is there a particular fluid I should put in his ears? TIA x

I use Cleanaural on mine about once a month and this seems to keep their ears clean and clear of mites. You can get a biggish bottle at a reasonable price from an online site like VetsUK and it last ages. Cup the ear flap to prevent liquid running all over the place, squirt in some of the drops, keep the flap cupped while you gently rub the base of the ear to encourage the drops to go down into the ear, then wipe out gently with cotton wool. Cotton buds can push any wax or gunge further into the ear and damage it, so shouldn't be used. The best preventive of ear mites, which like a warm, damp place to incubate, is getting fresh air into the ears - plenty of running around, and if your Cavalier's ears are very long and heavy, a little trimming and thinning helps.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I use Cleanaural on mine about once a month and this seems to keep their ears clean and clear of mites. You can get a biggish bottle at a reasonable price from an online site like VetsUK and it last ages. Cup the ear flap to prevent liquid running all over the place, squirt in some of the drops, keep the flap cupped while you gently rub the base of the ear to encourage the drops to go down into the ear, then wipe out gently with cotton wool. Cotton buds can push any wax or gunge further into the ear and damage it, so shouldn't be used. The best preventive of ear mites, which like a warm, damp place to incubate, is getting fresh air into the ears - plenty of running around, and if your Cavalier's ears are very long and heavy, a little trimming and thinning helps.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

We do the same. Especially with Misty, as she has had ear problems since we got her. We have had to shave the inside of her ears too, as was advised by our vets. She hates getting ear drops in though, but loves getting her treat afterwards :)

I have the same trouble with Daisy.
I've ordered Thornit powder which I should have by mid week.
I figure it's worth a try as I've tried so mnay veterinary products, all to no avail.
Many Breeders swear by it and it's very reasonably priced.
Sins

When my oldest cavalier Jasper had ear problems last year, he had antibiotics and
Cleanaural and once he was sorted the vet siad to use Cleanaural once a week to keep the wax away, it seems to work.

hi just noticed this thread! my ten week old puppy fifi has got ear mites- we took both fifi and her brother rex to the vets this morning and she sed fifi has them- not a lot but if left untreated will obviously get worse! so has perscribed some lotion for both of them which we have to apply to their backs this evening, we are just concerned, as there are two of them, ht they will both groo eachother afterwards and 'lick' off the treatment-therefore stopping it from working but obviously dont want to keep thm apar all nit as they have been together from birth! any ideas?!
thank you!!
:D

Vets don't like Thornit as it is a powder and people have used to much in the past and blocked the ear canal.

You only need a TINY amount, I put it on with a blusher brush [from your make up kit!! but keep it just for the Thornit] . It does last forever and you only need to use it once every couple of weeks unless they have an issue, in which case every couple of days for a few weeks.

If you are dealing with yeast, I have a product I absolutely adore. My non Cavalier has had chronic ear infections, and for the first time is rid of them with Zymox from Entirely Pets. I can't talk highly enough about it. I don't know if it's sold in the UK, but I would assume you could have it shipped.

Back