• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier ear question...

LexieAndSprinkles

I wasn't quite sure where to post this...

I think Sprinkles ears are stunted... at least the hair. Her Ruby mom has beautiful long ears... her Blenheim dads almost drag the floor! All 3 of her litter mates are growing nice and long and THICK. They are all 3 rubies. Sprinkles was the only Blenheim and hers are by far the shortest and the thinnest. The rest of her coat is getting nice and thick... it's just those ears! She looks like she has a puppy bob!

Anyone have any similar experiences or information? It's driving me a little crazy!

Pretty normal and not unusual as she is still young. All dogs vary; I have found that blenheims tend to have slower growing ear hair of all the colours though individuals vary. Also many dogs have almost no growth til they are close to one. Related dogs can be quite different -- after all each dog gets a different set of genes. Neither of my blenheims has heavy or particularly long ear hair. Usually the black eared dogs (B&Ts and tris) have the fullest ears. I like the look of really long ears but they sure are a pain to keep clean and unmatted! :lol:

The hair will grow in its own time! :)

I like the look of really long ears but they sure are a pain to keep clean and unmatted! :lol:

OH, SO True!

Ha, or my daily issue...They all come back from the water bowl with water dripping off their ears and then they want to jump in your lap and cuddle.... LOL I really must find some kind of water bowl that will keep the ears out.

You can get narrow spaniel bowls but most are for cockers and too wide. I use a no-tip travel bowl but mine also like drinking from the cat fountain. :rolleyes:

Mine get food and treats in their ears -- in all the years of owning cavaliers I have still failed to sew the snoods I got material for several years ago...

Yep...Gracie's are not too long either...

I think hers wiill come in slow... but no worries. I bet they will be dragging the ground soon enough!:p

I have too rubies - Not sure if you can tell from my avatar picture, but Lucky has long lush ears. Sparky's are really short. His fur only goes down an inch or so past his ear leather. I was waiting for it to grow for a while, but he's already 3 years old, so I think it is what it is.

In Sparky's case though, his ears still mat - just not the bottom part. He has very fine thin hair and the part where his ears meet his head tends to mat.

Karlin, you really should get out your sewing machine and make those snoods.

I was given 2 and what a difference. At fist I did not think the 2 blenheims would take to them, but they now both dive into thier snoods when I hold them out, I then always get a kiss from Pippin as well :lotsaluv:!

It has made such a difference to the ears .. they get no where near as dirty as they used to do .... can't imagine dinner time with out putting on the snoods now.

Pippin is the only one using his as the moment as Tyla and Megans ears have been cut short.

Back