• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New place (ella having seperation anxiety)

anniemac

Ella loves her new apartment but when I leave she starts running out the door in desperation. I had to get something out of my car and she freaked out.

She loves how we can walk outside and there are a lot of dogs we meet but I think she feels I'm going to leave her. I guess its not familiar but I have her bed, stairs to sofa, everything is pretty much the same comfort.

I would say I will take her to my friends house with kennedy but she is out of town and that does not stop the anxiety. I just went to my car. I have not changed routine so what should I do to help this.

Do you think its just new to her and will take time adjusting?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hello Anne and Ella. I really think it will go away soon. After I moved Blondie did the same thing. give it 2 weeks and I guarantee she will settle.
What I do with Blondie is say " I'll be back" everytime I leave (no exceptions)
I'm convinced she gets it now. :)

oh sorry to hear that Anne. Definitely try giving her a little treat everytime you leave so she associates something good with it. I do that with Jack when we visit a friends house and I have to leave him for a bit. Hopefully as Lynn said, she will settle in over the next couple of weeks.

I'm sure you're not fawning over her in this anxious state, as that would reinforce her anxiety, but just in case . . . When we travel and stay somewhere, or even go to the veterinarian, I always try to act (around my dog) like I am very self-assured and I expect the dog to be the same. I treat her/him with a "oh, this is just business as usual so we're going to be fine, carry on." type attitude. They pick up on our self confidence and learn that change is okay. My dogs have always enjoyed going to the vet, too! Our (now at the Rainbow Bridge) Shih Tzu was quite laid back and would almost fall asleep in my lap in the examining room, at the vet's, and the staff were always amazed. Sophie also thinks the vet is a social outing. LOL

You might want to try leaving for just a second or two and building the time up. That way she'll know you will be coming back.

Maybe also try giving her a small space so that she doesn't have the run of the entire apartment when she's alone. Maybe it just feels too big to her right now. When I take Riley on vacation with me and I leave her at our house in Arizona, I block off an area in the kitchen and the family room. I leave her bed, some toys, a blanket, a water dish and a soft sided crate. And I always give her a treat when I leave. She runs into the crate to get her treat. Even though I leave the door to the crate open when I leave, she thinks that is where she has to eat the treat. So cute. Anyway, just another thought to help ease Ella's transition.

So sorry this is an issue... but I can understand new surroundings being odd

I like many of the suggestions here. Maybe also try leaving her with a t-shirt or something like that with your scent on it. A shirt that she knows well.

Thanks for the suggestions. My apt is really small so there is an open floor plan. She used to have a doggie door to go outside on my balcony. I probably need to leave the blinds open.

Its not in the morning but she is starting to adjust. The hard part is I live on a busy street near "uptown" which is the heart of the city. She likes other dogs but we miss finley and lulu our next door neighbors cavaliers.

We have a routine and she is adjusting better than me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Back