Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anal glands - how often

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anal glands - how often

Baxter has just recovered from a abcess due to his anal glands, he had to have 2 weeks of anti biotics but thankfuly is much better now.

when he went for his 3rd check up on Monday they told me to take him back every 8 weeks to have his glands emptied by the vets, as this is obviously a problem for him.

is every 8 weeks right, the previous vet last saturday told me to take him every 4 weeks.

also, he was scooting last night and still nibbles at his tail. but when they checked him they said it was fine? oh and they did on the last two visits empty them again, which i thought it would be unusual only 3 weeks apart to get anything else out? or is this normal?
    Sarah, Thor, Freya, Poppy & Baxter

Izzy RIP sweetheart x

Post Thanks / Like

Of course dogs vary as to how prone they are to anal gland problems, but I've found that prevention is better than cure - which means roughage to keep the glands in good working order. Both mine have had no problems since I put them onto Burns food (lamb or fish and rice) and very rarely need their glands emptied. They also get plenty of roughage in the shape of raw vegetables, including a big chunk of carrot as their bedtime treat, a raw chicken wing once a week (their Sunday breakfast treat), an occasional bone, and I even include the eggshells crunched up when they have their twice-weekly raw egg on their food! Seems to work, anyway.

If you know anyone who is experienced with Cavaliers and knows how to empty the glands, get them to show you how to do it. It isn't difficult, and having the vet do it very frequently is going to be expensive! Of course, if there is any sign of infection you will need to go to the vet.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

I too am a big fan of Burns food. Before I changed to it, I was taking my dogs about every 2 months to have glands emptied, which is quite expensive when you've got 3! Now it's usually about every 4 months or so - and sometimes even that is mainly precautionary.

Prevention is DEFINITELY better than cure, so it's worth making some effort in my opinion.

Hope Baxter continus ro recover well and you get into a good routine.
    Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

My previous Cavalier, Caleb, twice had an absses. The vet suggested putting Digestive Bran in with his food and this certainly seemed to help.

Now Digestive Bran has become part of the diet for all my Cavaliers! They never get the 'runs' (only Megan but that was due to stomach acid after being sick during an MRI scan) and being 'stiffer' makes it so much easier to shovel up!
    Darlene
    -----------------------
    Tyla Pippin Megan ..... my little 's

Post Thanks / Like

i think i will change them to the burns.. and see if that helps, or try the digestive bran, porridge oats were sugested but i have so far only found the soft flaky type! he is on kibble type food, harringtons at the moment, but they are very small pieces.

unfortunately Baxter is having problems again tonight, so will be back at the vets tomorrow, his right side of his bottom looks swollen and he is frantically trying to mess, luckily we still have his collar and have popped that on him. but i think maybe the infection hasnt cleared properly? poor thing.

Izzy RIP sweetheart x

Post Thanks / Like

poor baxter , sorry to hear things arent better yet. ruby had the same and has also just finished a 2 week course of antibiotics too. at the last check up last week the vet checked her glands and got some stuff out she said was like concrete ruby nearly shot to the ceiling it really hurt, and the vet said she will have to go back every couple of months. shes already on burns food so not sure what else to do .. one more thing to worry about. its such a shame when theyre suffering..hope baxter gets well quickly

Post Thanks / Like

I echo the advice above. I have three dogs all had this problem, their diet is natural with plenty of vegetables etc. I add bran to their food, (not breakfast cereal) it has solved the problem with two of them but one still has to have them emptied. My vet recommends every 4 weeks, which seems to be about right any longer they become impacted which of course is very painful. Even though adding more fibre to their diet can solve the problem for many, some it doesn't, so it will mean keeping a close eye and regular emptying.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

baxter does have another abcess, he went back to the vets last sunday, it seems to be higher up than the last one, all his right side is swollen and very very sore, he is on another 2 week corse of antibiotics, and then he has to go back.. but the swelling seems worse than sunday and i dont even know if this is normal and expected whilst on the antibiotis?

will keep you all updated on how he is

Izzy RIP sweetheart x

Post Thanks / Like

If he is getting worse, I would take him back to the vets as soon as possible.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Did you see the vet again, Sarah? How is Baxter today - more comfortable I hope
    Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge