• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anal glands - how often

Carrots: my two share a carrot between them at bedtime. Oliver has the thick top end - about 1.5 inches and just gnaws it whole. Aled had never met a carrot and started with his narrower bottom end cut into small chunks but now manages it whole. Neither of them seem to have a choking problem, but as with all bigger treats, I would never leave the dogs unattended with them - I don't directly supervise them but leave doors open so that I can hear if there's a problem.

Oliver and Aled also like parsnips and broccoli stem to gnaw.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hello Mel

Poor Leo I do so hope he gets better soon ,its not at all nice for them poor lad.:(

Thanks Brian,
The vet tried to express the gland....I dont know who was more traumatised afterwards....the vet, Leo or me:sl*p:

poor leo .. how awful they have to go through things like this :(..im just back and ruby has colitis - she dripped blood on the waiting room floor as i held her waiting to pay :yikes:yikes it was shocking . i think it was because she has diarreahh (sp) then the vet expressed her glands and said there was some stuff in it already .. poor think shes so sorry for herself but has had an anti sickness shot and now 5 days of antibiotics to take . hate this feeling when theyre not well :( get well soon all our poorly babies x

poor leo .. how awful they have to go through things like this :(..im just back and ruby has colitis - she dripped blood on the waiting room floor as i held her waiting to pay :yikes:yikes it was shocking . i think it was because she has diarreahh (sp) then the vet expressed her glands and said there was some stuff in it already .. poor think shes so sorry for herself but has had an anti sickness shot and now 5 days of antibiotics to take . hate this feeling when theyre not well :( get well soon all our poorly babies x

Oh no poor Ruby. Here's hoping she feels better soon. You're right its horrible when they're so poorly.

Poor Ruby, how has the vet suggested you deal with the colitis long term?

Poor Ruby, how has the vet suggested you deal with the colitis long term?

she didnt :shock:.. she just gave her 5 days worth of antibiotics . the thing is shes just finished a 2 week course for an anal gland abcess ,and i read today while trawling the internet that this can kill off the good bacteria in the gut and CAUSE colitis .I did say this to the vet but she thinks its more of a dietary thing. shes already on burns mini bites though and i dont give treats , only a bit of apple carrot etc now and then. however i have been walking to my mums in the mornings as shes not been well and she almost always gives ruby a bit of cooked chicken.. i dont encourage it but you know what mums are like . from now on though its strictly burns and hopefully that will solve the problem . rang mum earlier and shes promised no sneaking her anything either. (y) good luck to all our lovely pets x

Poor things.. leo & ruby!

i hope that they are both feeling better. . its so awful to see them going through it.

a vet nurse i was on an akita wlak with today told me bout the flushing.. Baxter has another weeks of antibiotics, the swelling has really gone down, bright as a button for a couple of days and yesterday started scooting and going for his tail again. it just doesnt seem to be clearing

Hi Sarah,

Poor Baxter, it's frustrating when you think they're getting there then it seems you're back to square one :(
Leo too has another week of antibiotics and seems his oldself today but Im not convinced he wont need them "flushed" out next week. he needed this last time and they gave him a light anaestetic.
I didnt ask too many questions but the vet told me she was glad she was wearing goggles :grnyuk:

poor little man..

im going to look into this flushing, as i would rather if suitable they tried this before removing his anal glands!

it just seems to be not going away completely, i rang the vets today and they told me it really wasnt worth taking him in until he has finished his antibiotics as they can not do any more.. unless of course he gets worse or can not toilette.

our house is like a vet pharmacy at the minute! thors bad again and is back on quadroople steroids.. baxter and his antibiotics and my poor princess freya on her incontinence meds! there is only poppy anything like half healthy! :lpy:

Back