• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisy's medication

sins

We had Daisy at the vets last night and some changes were made to her meds.
Any thoughts would be appreciated...I wish I had paid more attention to the dosages,but the vet supplied the tablets directly (in an envelope), no dosages given.
She's on frusemide and rimadyl.
She's on half a rimadyl, twice a day for 5 days.
then half a rimadyl twice a day, every second day for the next 10 days.
then half a rimadyl twice a day ,every third day for the next 15 days
and come back and review.
Does this regime make any sense?
She does seem a lot livelier this morning.I also have to get her weight down...she's 20 lbs.
Her heart is still clear of any murmur.
Sins

It's good news about her heart :D

Think this is just a temporary dosage to settle things down - it's not really how I would expect SM to be treated though [I'm presuming that's what this is for?]

Then just weaning off very gradually.

Is your vet familiar with SM? Could you get to a neurologist? Have you printed off Clare Rusbridge's treatment diagram from http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/ or http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/ ?

sorry for the bombardment of questions - I just think I would not be that happy with this treatment for SM for my own dog :(

Frusemide is good - but 5 days of full dose of Rimadyl is really not that long :(

Would agree with Nicki -- generally NSAIDS are given daily if needed for pain. Sounds like the vet is approaching this as if it is a once off flare up rather than chronic pain.

Would agree with Nicki -- generally NSAIDS are given daily if needed for pain. Sounds like the vet is approaching this as if it is a once off flare up rather than chronic pain.

I have just had Tommy examined and his pain medication assessed by Clare Rusbridge. At the moment he is remaining on gabapentin, although the dose is being increased, and he continues on frusemide and his daily dose of metacam, a NSAID that he has been on for about a year.

I have actually never heard of rimadyl being tapered off in that way and would be interested to know why it was being done?

I get the impression that it was just to see if the Rimadyl made an improvement in her symptoms and to see if it actually was useful.And yes,she's in the middle of a flare up:(.
She was hobbling around the house with a slow lumbering gait and not coming out of her crate.
Since she got the Rimadyl,there's a very noticable improvement,she trotting again and spinning in front of the fridge and when friends called yesterday they immediately noted how bright and friendly she was.Her reflexes seem razor sharp again.
As far as I'm concerned,there's now a valid case for keeping her on an NSAID.
I have printed Claire's treatment alogarithm for the vets,but they seem to be very conservative with prescribing NSAIDS because of the Gastrointestinal side effects.
(dosages not given for Rimadyl on the sheet)
I hope to try and make an appointment with Claire when Holly goes for her scan but that will be next year.Alas on this side of the pond,we're pretty much on our own when it comes to neurological expertise.
Most vets just seem to do their best but my fear is that we're always just one step behind the pain.
I'll make sure she gets her daily pain relief when we go back.
Sins

She's doing very well...it's like we have our girl back! Bright,alert,tail wagging and eyes bright as a button.She's out around the house being part of the family instead of lying in the back of her crate.:)
Sins

Back