Thread: Extendable/retractable leads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Extendable/retractable leads

Wondered if anyone can recommend a good make? Ive seen nearly every dog walker round here with one and can see the benefits, one lady said some are not as good as others but didnt see what make she had, please help with any recommendations.
    Been internet browsing.... not sure about it all!! diff lengths etc would love to let Ruby run a little more in the park area we have on our walks
    Is flexi a good make? Just remembered the name of one I saw today
    Last edited by Paulette; 5th February 2011 at 10:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the flexi lead, Ive had the same one for over three years and it's still ok. I do check the clasp everytime we go out as Ive heard of them breaking
    I read somewhere that the tape versions are better as the extendable leads made of thin rope are more dangerous if you were to get it wrapped around yours or someone elses legs. (rope burns)

On long walks I walk Leo on a recall lead which about 20ft long.....he gets a really good run but I have him attatched to me
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meljoy View Post
    I use the flexi lead, Ive had the same one for over three years and it's still ok. I do check the clasp everytime we go out as Ive heard of them breaking
    I read somewhere that the tape versions are better as the extendable leads made of thin rope are more dangerous if you were to get it wrapped around yours or someone elses legs. (rope burns)

On long walks I walk Leo on a recall lead which about 20ft long.....he gets a really good run but I have him attatched to me
    I bought the old Flexi rope type over 20 years ago, when they first came out and used it for years and years. I believe I still have it in good working order in one of my doggy boxes in the garage. I used to attach a coupling lead to it so that I could take 2 dogs on the same lead.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Flexi has the stop button in a very convenint place for you thumb. Some others have a button on the side, not as handy if you need to hold your dog in place, or pull it back fast. I use two whan I walk Cooper and Nina, I have velco on the sides matching if I need to use them in one hand for a short time.
    Chuck, Cooper and Nina
    Shelter dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human, we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. Do not pity a shelter dog. Adopt one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought a flexi one for Benji and it's brilliant. Benji gets the freedrom to wonder a little, whilst i can still keep control over him.
    Proud momma of Benji. Born 15-8-10!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have only ever used the Flexi brand, made in German I think. The "brake" will wear out at some point based on my experience, and they are pricey here in the U.S. I have never seen the "tape" only type, just the thin cord type with a bit of tape at the latch where you connect to collar/harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think Flexi's can be great for a park setting. I'm sure Ruby will love having a little more freedom to run in the park.

I just want to caution about using flexi's near a busy street. When Lucky was little, my sister was walking him on her busy street. She dropped the leash by accident, and the hard plastic from the handle startled Lucky and he ran into the street under a car. My sister screamed and the car stopped, but needless to say it was close call and her heart stopped for a minute too! Thank goodness Lucky is okay, but given our experience I wanted to add the importance of being cautious with Flexi's around busy roads because you typically cannot loop a Flexi around your wrist the way you can with a normal leash and that makes them easier to drop if you lose your grip.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Lani;said, I think Flexi's can be great for a park setting. I'm sure Ruby will love having a little more freedom to run in the park.
    I just want to caution about using flexi's near a busy street.

Good point, Lani! I do use the 2 flexi's all the time with Cooper and Nina. I have trained them to come to me and sit if the Flexi is droped. When it is dropped, it will snake toward the dog, and they will be aware of it right away. If you do not have good control of the dog, don't use the Flexi around trafic, as Lani said.We continue to practice that important comand of returning to me fast if the Flexi is droped.
    Chuck, Cooper and Nina
    Shelter dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human, we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. Do not pity a shelter dog. Adopt one.

Post Thanks / Like

Bought the Flexi funtime mini XS 3m length and its perfect for what I was after got used to using it fairly quickly, It is a very small handpiece perfect for my small hands! Fits 3 fingers in comfortably, very lightweight too.

As for the advice about the busy roads I always lock off the lead when I know I am approaching the road or walking on paths. Luckily for me there is an open green literally 30 seconds away and Ruby is loving being able to explore a little further from me, but will come back to me if called.

I see why a lot of people use these leads they are fantastic.
    I probably will buy the next size up at 5 metres in the future but for now am happy at the max length of 3 metres, plus the handpiece will be a little bigger on the larger size small, but love the XS it can fit in my pocket!