Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Puppers and MVD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Puppers and MVD

I've had Cavaliers since the 1980s. Charlie, Harry, Timmy, Sophie and now Puppers.

Puppers was a rescue -- a beautiful tri-color bitch. My others all had MVD (except for Sophie who lived to the ripe age of 17!), but we caught it early and they all lived to around 11 or so.

Puppers seemed "clear." About a month ago she began coughing. We were moving and I thought she might have a bug. Two weeks ago (in the new house) she became distressed, panting heavily. I took her to the vet and sure enough -- very enlarged heart and lungs full of fluid.

Puppers is 8 (we think) and we had no clue of the MVD until we discovered it at a fairly advanced state. She is now on Vasotec (5 mg) and Lasix twice a day (2.5 mg) as well as some antibiotics as her white blood cell count was elevated. Her thyroid is also low.

She has done fairly well the last week, but now she is back to sleeping a lot, barely moving, coughing when she does and now she farts when she coughs!

My vet just got Vetmedin in (it wasn't around when my other Cavaliers had MVD). I hope it helps.

Poor little Puppers, she is such a sweet little girl and my son (11) adores her. Sigh.

Last edited by eisens; 8th February 2011 at 01:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It is so distressing when their MVD is bad, and with some Cavaliers, like your Puppers, it just seems to come out of nowhere. My B/T Rowley aged 10 was on a normal walk and almost had a heart attack - no previous signs at all. But today's medicines can do a lot to help, so I hope your vet will be able to make your girl more comfortable and that you will have her for a few more years.

Kate, Oliver (9.5 years with a Grade 2 murmur) and Aled (3.5 year rescue with a Grade 3)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about Puppers , she is just beautiful. Sorry to hear she has MVD, our rescue dog Sonny suffered from it. We had no previous experience of dogs or MVD but luckily we had a wonderful vet who was very helpful.He prescribed Vetmedin ( as well as diuretics ) for Sonny. He said it was a relatively new drug but it proved very effective in improving a dogs quality of life suffering from MVD.
    I'm sure there's members on the forum who have a good deal of experience dealing with this and can offer advice but my vet had no qualms and Vetmedin was the only heart med he would prescribe. Sonny's wee heart was pretty bad but it did improve his health and I feel it gave us longer with him than we would otherwise have had. to Puppers
    Carol

Proud Mummy to Kaley, 9 year old Tricolour
    Sonny ,Blen ( at the Bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Puppers is lovely, hopefully the Vetmedin will help her. They really do break your hearts don't they/
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Default I know your concerns

Hi,

Iam so sorry to hear about your little girl getting MVD. I have a 9 year old tri called scooby and he contracted advanced stage mitral valve over a year ago , he is still here and the turning point was him going on Vetmedin early last year i gave him a new lease of life....

Take care

Sharon and Scooby XX

Post Thanks / Like

Same here - Vetmedin is helping my poor Victoria (aged 10). By the way, Puppers and Victoria could be twins. She didn't come from Worcestershire by any chance, did she?

Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Hope the Vetmedin settles things down. The photos of both girls are absolutely gorgeous.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Puppers got her first Vetmedin at 8 this morning. By 9:30 she was frolicking.

Yes, frolicking!

From near death's door and not eating she woofed down a bowl of dog food, insisted on a (very short) walk and has been patrolling the new house. She is happy, I can tell. What a miracle drug!

I don't know how much time Vetmedin will buy her, but it is wonderful to see my happy girl back. Puppers is from the Tomnee kennel in Florida. Her official name is Tomnee Enola Gaye. See why we named her Puppers?

Post Thanks / Like

How fantastic, the photo is really heart warming, thanks for letting us know.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

She's a lovely girl. I hope her meds keep her going strong for a long time!

If she was passing gas when coughing, I wonder if she might possibly need a diet change? I remember that when we fed one of our dogs certain foods, even though they were high quality, he had gas. Then I experimented and changed his diet so now he is fine.

And one more thing I thought to mention - not sure if you knew that approximately 1/3 of cavaliers have large platelets (macrothrombocytopenia - which is harmless in cavaliers), and sometimes the platelets might look like elevated white cells; I think that happened to Geordie once, and then the vet did a manual count. You might want to find out if your Puppers might have this.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)