• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppers and MVD

Hi,

I have been reading your story on puppers and her battle with MVD. I know all about MVD I have a 9 year old tri called scooby and he has been battling MVD since october 2009. There have been so many times especially during the last year when I thought we were going to lose him but he seems to fight back , when they are loved to bits they seem to hang on......

One drug that scooby is on besides vetmedin is called 'Prilactone' , I consulted with a cardiologist who operated on scooby's heart when he was a puppy and told him about the fainting episodes or 'syncope' when they seem to faint and stop breathing , he recommended this drug to help and it seems to work, scooby has still had syncopes but they are not as frequent or as severe...

I wish you and puppers all the best and if you have any questions on MVD just ask I have probably asked them already.

Hugs
Sharon and Scooby

Prilactone is a brand name for the medication I have been recommending -- spironolactone. (y) I am using the same brand with Lucy and for me it has also made a big difference for her.

A few more scares. . . and now breast canncer

Puppers has been near death's door a few times since January and surprised us. She is now on Vasotec, Vetmedin and Lasix twice a day and having upped the Vasotec to twice a day has made a big difference for her. She still has terrible coughing spells but she is also romping around a bit -- running in the back yard at times! She rolls around on the floor (her happy happy dance) and just seems pretty content.

Poor Puppers was diagnosed with breast cancer at the vets two weeks ago. Vet would normally do mastectomies but given Pupper's poor heart and short life expectancy there is really no point. We adopted Puppers and she had been bred twice fairly young. . .

So we all know it is a matter of time for our girl -- not yet 8 years old -- but she at least is happy and although sometimes she has symptoms from her MVD which scares her as well as me I know that she is actually pretty happy.

She has begun "fly biting" lately which is a new behavior -- but given her heart spells I'm thinking she might have suffered a bit of brain damage from oxygen deprivation at one point -- but she is still the same happy girl so no reason to think Rainbow Bridge quite yet.

Just thought you might like a Puppers update.

We had to put Puppers down today. She had a bad seizure Friday night and then today she couldn’t stand up. Her right paw looked broken and she started having trouble breathing. I took her to the emergency vet and they said her heart disease was worse and her breast cancer had metastasized to her lungs. The vet said she had anywhere from a few days to a few months – IF she made it through the night, which wasn’t likely. They put her on oxygen and I got through to our regular vet who is also a friend.

We took her to my vet who opened up on Sunday to help us. She agreed that given Pupper’s condition and prognosis we all agreed it was kinder to put her to sleep, as hard as that was. She was more cat than dog – a little princess who was by far the most gentle dog I ever had.

So sorry to hear of your loss. That must have been so difficult and your family must be so sad.

I am so very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to your family:hug: Rest in peace Puppers:hug:
Becky

Iam so very sorry for the loss of sweet puppers , you have shown great strength to make the right decision for her and then she can now run free from pain and coughing at the Rainbow Bridge.

Sending you a hug... :hug:

Sharon and Scooby XX

So sorry to hear that Puppers has gone to the rainbow bridge. Her memory will stay forever in your heart.

Back