• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

High Calcium level in Bella's labs

mellie

h*lpI took Bella in for her bloodwork to check her liver, since she is on Rimadyl for her hips/knees. The vet called and and left a message this evening that Bella's calcium level was elevated, and we needed to do a more specific blood test to check her Ionized calcium to see if it is elevated.
Has anyone experienced this with their cavaliers? I am a nervous wreck thinking about it! From what I've read if the ionized calcium is high, it could be cancer, or parathyroid dysfunction. Neither of which are good news!
I plan to take her in ASAP to get the additional test. But we are expecting a snow "storm" during the night tonight. So my vet will be closed tomorrow,and probably the rest of the week if weather is bad. I just wanted to get some info from my favorite cavalier owners, while I wait. Please let me know if anyone has had this problem!
I am praying for good news! :xfngr:

What a worry for you. This is not something I have come across, so I cannot help at all.

I do hope the storm has held off & you can get the test done quickly.

Mellie,

Everything that you've posted is accurate. How old is Bella and what is her medical history? Was the blood chemistry done at an outside lab like Antech or Idexx or an inhouse lab at the vet's office? Usually on my Antech lab reports they show calcium and then they also show "corrected calcium." I wouldn't be as worried if this was done in the vet's lab. Do you have a copy of the entire chem report - that would give me more info to look at the complete picture. Do you do urinalysis when you run blood chemistry? Do you know the exact calcium value as well as the normals? What diet is Bella on?

I just don't know enough about Bella's specific case to offer much more info. Where are you running the ionized calcium? I always use MSU - Michigan State University.

Pat

Ah - I now see that Bella is only 3 years old. How long has she been taking Rimadyl? Are there alternatives to using it? FWIW, I absolutely will not use NSAIDS for any of my dogs - I just won't risk the side effects as they are just too common.

Pat

Hi Pat,
Bella has a normal health history other than having bilateral patella luxation that was corrected in July 2009, and hip issues that are being monitored and will eventually require surgery. the Rimadyl has helped her greatly with the discomfort, and she is able to jump and run normally since she has been on it, which has only been a month.
The test showed total calcium. So vet wants to get Ionized calcium level. All other labs were good, per her message. She left a message for me, since we were out at the time she called. We have not done a urinalysis. I also do not know where she will be sending the test, but the one we had done was in office lab. The office has been closed due to the snow storm, so we will have to wait until Saturday to have the new test. I am praying for a normal result. She is my sweet baby and has been through so much at her young age! (thanks to the backyard breeder I rescued her from)
Thanks for your input!

Back