• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy Love Campaigns need help with Pet shop Campaign please

Wagtails

I recently signed up for the Dogs-R-Us Puppy Farm eNewsletter and this is the first post I have had from them. Please follow the links if you can help in any way.

We are starting off the new year with a new campaign, please spread the word to your friends and also email your MP.

What you can do

It’s time Parliament did something about the puppy trade.
The fact that puppies can be sold in pet shops and by vendors trading through the internet and newspaper advertisements is the reason that puppy farms exist. Every major independent organisation involved in animal welfare opposes the principle of puppies being sold as a retail commodity and recommends that puppies should only be purchased direct from a responsible breeder.

The legislation which governs the retail sale of pet animals was introduced 60 years ago and has had only minor amendments since then. When it was introduced there was no internet, no mobile phone network and less than 50% of households had a landline telephone.Five years ago, the Animal Welfare Act 2006 was passed and hailed by Defra as a major step forward which would raise standards in every area. Scotland has its own similar law.

It made the process of introducing secondary legislation to address specific issues relatively straightforward. One of the issues which were supposed to be addressed in this way within five years, at least in England, was the outdated Pet Animals Act 1951. The lack of progress on this matter was highlighted as a concern in the Post Legislative Assessment of the Animal Welfare Act 2006 prepared for the Commons Select Committee overseeing Defra in December 2010.

We think it’s time for all of us who think Caroline Spelman, the Secretary of State for Environment Food and Rural Affairs and her officials have their collective heads buried in the sand, to let our constituency MPs know that we also don’t accept the current position and want to know when the original intentions are going to be put into action.

The British Parliament only has powers to make new regulations for England, but if they do, it will strengthen the case for the Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly to follow suit. So even if you live in Scotland or Wales, getting your MP to raise the issue is well worthwhile.

We’ve drafted a suggested message which can be emailed to your MP by following the link http://www.puppylovecampaigns.org/whatyoucando.shtml. It shouldn’t take more than about a minute to make your views known

I was sent this last week and meant to post it and forgot :yikes..... thanks for the reminder.

:cool:I am attending a 'Tea and Coffee Afternoon' hosted by my local MP on the 25th and will hand him a signed letter highlighting this issue. :lotsaluv:He is not in government but can of course raise the issue both with DEFRA and in the House. Since this Labour MP hopes for a change of fortune at the next election I think he may well pay more than lip service to requests from his party's potential voters. ;)

Well done Margaret and Flo - we need to build up a head of steam for this campaign if it is to have any effect. Don't suppose we will be able to muster the strength of protest that got rid of Mubarak, but something akin to the opposition to the proposed sell off of forests and National Nature Reserves would be helpful - both suggestions have been "rethought" as a result!

Deforestationproblem.jpg

Back