• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The ultimate act of love

Super Princess

It's been a real long time since i have been on CT.

In november my oliver was rushed to emergency, he was caughing alot. The vet ran some tests and took xrays..the little guy with a big heart actually had a big heart. It was pushing on his lungs and makeing him caugh.
there was nothing we can do..the vet said he could live comfortably for 6 months -1 year but she just didnt know.

life as he knew it ended though. He wasnt aloud to go for walks, or play ball which was his favorite thing in the whole wide world.
He had to move to my grandparents house because after we sold our home of 24 years my parents were renting with no back yard..and he the medication he had ...he needed one.
Grandpa and grandma took great care of him and i visited several times a week.

It was one of the hardest thigns..seeing someone you love slip away and not be able to do anythign about it.

We knew when he showed signs of pain or suffering we would have to make that call..the one no pet owner ever wants to make.

it happened last thursday. his tummy got swollen.. he looked pregnant. my parents went away for the weekend, and i was able to spend alot of time with him. Grandma and i made a paw print stepping stone, much to his annoyance. (boy did we get dirty looks)
after spending alot of time with him, i saw it was defently time. and i texted dad on sunday to tell him.

he agreed. They were going to make an appointment for this friday.

but he had a real bad night sunday ngiht..didnt sleep at all..wasnt comfortable.
at work i had prewarned my coworkers it would be a hard week for me..not only was i sick but we would be putting my dog down on friday.

i got the text from dad at work saying they bumped it up from friday to that day..monday.
i called him and was in tears.

i wasnt even gonna get to say goodbye.
i agreed itw as the right thing to do..but its never easy.

well between my sore throat and my tears my coworkers told me to go home (not always doable when you work in daycare..it has to be a ratio of 4:1 )
i sped home to grandmas and was able to spend a few hours with him before it was time.

on the very day made to express your love, we gave him the ultimate act of love. but it dosnt make it any easier.
i miss him, and it hurts.
he was my best friend.

Oh, I'm so sorry Chelsea. It's so hard to lose your best friend even if they have four legs instead of two. Run like the wind Oliver!

I'm so sorry that Oliver has gone, your post is very emotional and it is obvious how much you loved him :flwr:

Hi

My dearest thoughts go to you ,reading you post brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes.:flwr::(

Chelsea, so sorry that you had to give Oliver his wings. Your thread heading is so true -it is the "Ultimate Act of love" that we can give. Remember that Oliver's memory will stay forever in your heart.:flwr::hug:

Oh I'm so very sorry Chelsea. It must hurt so much, thankfully you got to say goodbye. Run free Oliver. He'll be waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge.:lotsaluv:

I am so sorry and I reared up reading this. You also have a big heart.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Chelsea, I'm fairly new here, but I am so sorry for your loss. When they are your best friend, it's so heart breaking to have to make a decision like this. I know he will always be in your heart.

Thinking of you during this difficult time.

Cindy and Claire

I am so sorry for your loss Chelsea, it must be very hard right now. Thank you for telling us Oliver's story. I'm sure he knew how much you loved him. :flwr:

For those who truly love their pets It hurts, it hurts to the point of real pain and most of us will know exactly how you feel, right now, all I can say is that it will eventually get better with the passing of time and you will remember all the good times and never forget them.

My sincerest sympathies for your loss of Oliver, your post has certainly hit a nerve with me today.

im so sorry for your loss . im in tears for you . ive had to give a dog her wings after 18 years and i already dread, really dread, the day arriving for ruby . its the price we pay for so much love :lotsaluv::lotsaluv:xx

Chelsey,
I am so sorry, Im truly moved by your story and hope I can be as brave as you when our turn comes.
Sending our dearest wishes to you and your family.
Mel:hug:

So very sorry
MESSAGE TO A FRIEND
-------------------

I miss you so much; my four-legged friend
I ask myself each day; if the pain will ever end
Your loss is so hard; for one person to bear
because we were a team; an inseparable pair

You were by my side; when I got up each day
waiting so patiently; to go out and play
You were there each night; when I got home
waiting to go to the park; where you could roam

You always knew; if I was having a bad day
so you'd snuggle up close; and try to get me to play
If that didn't work; you'd put your head in my lap
then make yourself comfortable; and take a nap

One way or another you; would brighten my day
like only you could; you had a special way
You gave me a lifetime; of memories to hold
through all the years ahead; till I'm gray and old

I promise I'll see you; again one day
when we'll be together again; to go run and play
Your loss is a cross; I will just have to bear
because you and I know; we're an inseparable pair

John Quealy

---Aileen

That's so beautiful Aileen, thank you so much for sharing.

Chelsey, I am so sorry that you had to say goodbye to your beautiful friend, but so glad that you got some time to spend with him before he had to leave you for another place. You will meet up again - wherever they go. Meanwhile, my heart goes out to you and your parents.

As already said that was a very emotional and hearfelt post. Can empathise with you as I'm sure many who have had a similar experience can! Sending love xxx

thankyou for all your replies. It was nice to come back and share with people who truly understand what its like to loose such a special friend.
Ive been down with strept throat since the day we let him go, I had to be off work for 48 hours which i guess was a good thing all around. gave me time to cry.
It still seems so weird to me..like ill show up at my grandmas and he'll be laying there in front of the fire place or something.

i was here a lot in 2007 when i was over seas and away from my baby. and i kept saying how ..i missed my family yeah..but i missed my dog ALOT. id go running up to strangers on the street who had cavaliers and tell them "i have one of those at home in canada" and theyd let me pet their dogs and talk a bit about our cavaliers.
i bought a stuffed tri cavalier in a toy store in dublin..just because i was missing him so much. slept with it every night untill ig ot back home to him.
Dug that stuffy outa storage this weekend and am holding him tight again.

it had been a long time since i seen him smile, really smile. i know we did the right thing. watching him that final day..his breathing..the way he struggled to lie down.

i just cant help but ..when lying home alone in my fits of tears cry out i want him back.

we lost our cat of 13 years..a year and a half ago..It was one of the lowest of hte lows..dark dark times and i know time heald that slowly as will this but..outa all the bad thigns that have happened in the last 2 years (and theres been a lot..its been a rough two years) losing max had been the hardest. and now we're right back there again with olvier.

it just sucks. alot.

My heart goes out to you and I share in your grief. May your happy memories of Oliver bring some comfort. :flwr:

Last edited:
I got tears in my eyes.. Im so sorry little Oliver. He'll be waiting for you with your cat and all your lost ones at the bridge, and they will be taking care of him untill you can be with him again .. forever!

Back