• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Morning eating.....

GraciesMom

One of our biggest issues is that she just is not a morning eater. Does anyone else have this issue? We really have a challenge with this because we need to take her to doggy day care on some days and she goes there with no food in her tummy. Even eating very little yesterday she again this morning is not interested in her food. But....by about 10:30 am, she would eat the food. We have tried taking her for a walk in the morning to wake her up and that does not change the situation.

Any ideas??? We have even taken up her little bed and no go.

Have you tried mixing in a little wet food (canned food)? I use a tablespoon of Weruva canned food mixed into the kibble, and my cavaliers go crazy for that! Prior to doing this, my puppy was not interested in eating that early.

I'm kind of grinning, because Claire would like me to get up about 2 hours before I'm willing and feed her then. I seem to always end up with the hungry hounds (my other dog is the same).

But, I know from other dogs in the past, this can be an issue that is hard to deal with. Sometimes just a touch of Parmesan cheese, or a little chicken broth might do the job. Also if you do use canned, warming it up just a little bit will enhance the flavor and help.

Some folks only feed their dog 'once' a day, but with her going to doggy day care, I'm sure she needs the food for energy in the morning.

Also, adding a bit of boiled chopped chicken breast might entice her too.

Let us know how it goes. What time do you feed her at night?

Cindy and Claire

Rose isn't a morning "person" either when it comes to her food (anyone else's food, that's a different story :p ...), so the cat would snack on what she didn't finish, and the cat is allergic to the fish in the puppy food (long story). I started adding just enough of either canned food, dog gravy, etc. to give her food a light coating, and she's finally getting into the habit of eating all of her food when she's fed, even when we don't mix something in it. It just took a while.

Holly is not a morning eater either. I don't have suggestions for you as I don't need Holly to eat in the morning -- I'm an at home mom. The only time Holly has eaten well in the morning is after she spent the night in the hospital after her spay. She came home famished. Most days, Holly isn't interested in eating her food until later in the afternoon or evening. We've wasted a lot of kibble here!

I agree that it might be best to add something enticing to her morning food. I know it's hard to think about going down that slippery slope, but it might make you (and Gracie) feel better.

Thanks all... she is doing a bit better in the morning now

I mainly worry on the days we have to take her to doggy daycare and want her to have enough food for the playtime. We have started sprinkling some ground up Merrick sausage treat or some cheddar cheese on top of her food. Merrick is very healthy and comes in several flavors. I can't give her the chicken flavors but the Venison Holiday Stew and the New Zealand Summer Lamb are her faves. I put about 1/4 of the tiny sausage on her morning meal and start her off with a little chunk as a lure. It has worked now every morning for 7 days! :p

To be honest, it doesn't really matter physically to her if she has eaten before daycare. A lot of people (like my partner) only feed their dog once daily, in the evening. I feed mine once a day in the morning -- and have done active events like agility in evening classes and none of them need extra food for this.

She may really only need a single meal a day. A lot of dogs are not interested in multiple meals.

my dog often goes to daycare all day too on an empty stomach, and when he comes to my office (like today) he is too excited to eat at all. he ends up eating 1x per day at about 9pm, even though the food is out at 7am. i wouldn't be concerned - if she is having fun at daycare just give her a treat to get her going before you drop her off.

Back