Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why us..why at 9 years old

Post Thanks / Like

Default why us..why at 9 years old

Quite alot has happened since the last time i was on CT.

last time i was here..we were all together under one roof. Economy crashed..we were forced to sell our house of 24 years, forcing me to get an apartment of my own.
    Since oliver was techincialy my parents dog..i had a cat and apartments that rent to pets let alone dogs are scares in victoria..oliver went with my parents to a town house they were renting untillt hey desided what to do.

my mom found a new job..out of the house and oliver would spend his days at grandmas house cause grandpa was retired and there to take care of him all day.

In november i phoned home to talk to my parents..only to discover dad had rushed oliver to emergency that night..he was caughign alot.

after many tests and xrays, it was discoverd oliver had a enlarged heart.
    it was not curable, and he had bettween 6 months and 1 year..the vet just didnt know.

I was dumbfounded. the little guy with a big heart acutalluy had a big heart.

wrose yet..i was loosing him. I would have to watch him slowly go down hill adn there was not a damn thing i could do to help him. to reach out and save him.

I didnt understand..why him..why us why at 9 years old..9 that seemed so young..i woulda assumed we had a good few more years left together.

so i googled..and what i learned stunned me.

welll most here already know what i learned.

50% of cavaliers have heart issues by age 5, almost all by age 9..if they live to be that age.
    this site was telling me oliver and i..were among the lucky ones?

oliver had been born with a heart murmer..something a the back of our minds never came to play untill this year.

the site also said that the statistics for cavaliers these days were longivity of 5 years - 9 years.
    serously? i am still shocked by this.
    5 years??

yes therse lots of pups that outlive this statistic but from someone who had always planned on adopting another at some point when i settle myself into a house with a back yard.. as much as i am head over heals in LOVE with tihs breed..5 years seems so young thats the longivity of a hampster is it not?
    so sad.

Ive already posted in the memorial..we had to put oliver down on monday..a day dedicated to love we gave him the ultimate gift of love.
    he took a turn for the worst on thursday..his tummy had swollen up. he was uncomfortable..having issues breathing..just wasnt happy..and we said we would not watch him suffer. not for something we knew we coudlnt beat.

So i guess i have no real questions or points in this thread other then im still so shocked..

5-9 years? What are other peoples thoughts on this discussion...its almost a crisis thats taken over the breed.
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry you lost your dear sweet Oliver.

Cavaliers do have health issues, but I don't think the average Cavalier dies at the age of 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor sweet Oliver, I am so sorry you have lost him. Many owners here including myself have sick dogs, so we understand and know how you have felt and feeling now. This poor beautiful breed are cursed with some of the worst health problems.

My heart goes out to you and your family.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default So Sorry about Oliver

I can't imagine how you must feel. My Churchill was just diagnosed with SM and he is only 3 1/2 years old. I love him so much and don't want to lose him. But you know what, I wouldn't change a thing. I may only have him for a short time (i don't know how long) but the love that I have received in return is more than worth it. I wouldn't trade my time with Churchill for anything. As to whether I would buy another cavalier, yes I would. They are wonderful dogs. Good luck and I am soo sorry for your loss.
    Karen Churchill's Mom Male Ruby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default So Sorry about Oliver

I already sent a reply so I hope this doesn't come across twice. Anyway, my Churchill is only 3 1/2 years old and has been diagnosed with SM. He is doing well for now and I don't know how long I will have him. Honestly the time that I have had with him and hopefully that will continue for a while, has been wonderful. The unconditional love that I have recieved from him is well worth the trouble. I love him soo much and can't imagine how you must feel with the loss of Oliver. As to whether I would get another cavalier when he passes???? Yes I would they are wonderful dogs and companions. Good luck and so sorry for your loss.
    Karen Churchill's Mom Male Ruby

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone. It's been a hard few days. miss him more then anything.

its really good to hear other peoples opinions on this here, because google is full of staril websites with scarry information.
    all dog breeds have issues..and indvidual dogs things come up..i wouldnt change the short 9 years i got with my boy for the world..i wouldnt.

i think..that when our babies get sick, its then when our love really shows through.
    some people toss in the towl..weather its they cant afford it or dont want to, but its the people that go that extra mile for their fur babies as they would for their real babies that shows how much we love them. if that makes sense.

theyre like the dream bread..as im sure everyone here would agree. perfect size..temperment..adorable. i have a few years still before i will have the opportunity to think about adopting again.
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chelsea,

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Oliver. I can feel the pain your going through as I too have lost many beloved pets over the years. I love my boy Jack with all my heart and he is 2 years old with CM. I hope to have many years with him but will treasure whatever time I am granted.
    Again I am sorry for your loss, it is so very painful.
    Hugs to you and your family
    Irene
    Irene-
    Jack and Penny's Mom, NYC

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Chelsea,
    So sorry you lost Oliver. I lost my Sam at 12 years from MVD and it's an awful thing to deal with. My heart goes out to you.
    Deb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sadly the statistics you have read are mostly true. It is well established that about half of cavaliers have murmurs by age 5 (a shocking statistic) and almost all will have one by age 9-10. The average age of death for the breed is generally given as around 9-10, which is very young for a toy breed, but some say 7-10 or so. I have never seen 5 quoted as an average age of death for the breed and that is definitely not correct. Most dogs of their size should live to more like 14-16. It is (at least until recently) heart disease alone that has accounted for this curtailment of several years off the cavalier lifespan. sadly now they also are contending with syringomyelia.

MVD is a tragedy for this breed and can be very hard to watch progress, especially in an otherwise healthy dog.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your loss!
    I thought I read before that the average life span is 10 years old. I bought my cavi from a breeder because Piper's grandfather had lived to age 17 and his dad was 8 and still healthy. I hope I get as lucky with him but am happy have any amount of time that I'm given.
    I also just wanted to say hi to a fellow Canadian