• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Charlie our "Test Case" Spaniels In Need

Fifer

My apologies for not posting this sooner, this little lad's case is being followed avidly on several forums. Charlie has been in our care for almost a week. He has so many fans rooting for him, if good wishes could cure him he'd be mended, so come on Charlie! cl*p

The story so far ...........

A few weeks ago I received a phone call from a colleague in rescue asking if I could take a cavalier with a very serious case of demodex mange. I spoke to the very caring and heartbroken owner and was horrified at the emerging picture.

As a rescue the economics didn't work, we could not afford to either fund conventional treatment nor tie up a foster home for many months, but I just couldn't turn my back. I "phoned a friend" who like me believes that many dog ailments could be addressed by natural feeding and holistic approach to healing, after consulting with her (very understanding) vet, she agreed to take him on.

The dog was just over 2 years old and had in total 67 vet visits, in the 108 weeks he's been on this planet :( costs stated to date £1555.65. The list of treatments and meds is horrific

3 x full Vaccinations
2 x Drontal worming tablets
21 x treatments of Advocate spot on
4 x 50ml bottles of Aludex
1 x 5ml Tiacil eye drops
1 x Carprofen injection
150 x Cephalexin 250mg antibiotic tablets
4 x 10ml bottles of Aurizon ear drops
2 x bottles of Malesab shampoo
1 x Fucithalmic eye drops
1 x 10ml bottle Maxitrol eye drops
1 x Dexafort 0.4mls anti inflam injection
1 x Malacetic ear cleaner
1 x Surolan 15ml bottle ear drops
2 x 1ml of 12.5% suspension Amitraz anti parasitic drug
2 x Clinagel 4g eye ointment
2 x Canural 15ml ear drops
78 x Prednicare 5mg steroid tablets
28 x Amoxycillin 50mg tablets
1 x Trizultra anti bacterial cleaner
Ad lib Piriton tablets
7 x in house skin scrapes
2 x GA's
1 x Neuter op
18 x in house baths

He is fed on a hypoallergenic dry food. A quote from my friend "Now the reason I mentioned about the food is not to have a go at anyone about what they feed their dogs it's purely down to the fact that Charlie has a serious demodectic mange problem and the food he is being fed is fuelling the mange problem, my aim is to get him off ALL chemicals and onto a raw diet where there are very little carbs and no sugars or yeasts, the very things that are in the foods he is eating are what the mange loves and are encouraged by.

His well meaning owner can cope no more, she did everything her vets advised but unfortunately she couldn't see the damage that was being inflicted on Charlie, the fact that he had his puppy vaccination so young, immediately followed by a strong wormer, then his eyes started to go bad, then his ears and as his immune system started to suffer he was vaccinated again and again, each time following the vaccinations he fell further and on top of all the other drugs he was having is it any wonder that he's now in such a state :sadly: It is literally a case of 'kill or cure', he cannot take any more drugs, he's weeping poisons and pus from all over his body, his eyes are ulcerated, his ears are infected and he has weeping paws."

This is a real challenge for us "raw feeders" and holistic believers done, not to prove a point, but for all dogs but particularly the love (and hopefully cure) of a wee guy called "Test Case Charlie", meet the very gorgeous Charlie

Charley002.jpg

How bad is bad, well this is "healing"
Charley009.jpg

Charley008.jpg

Charley005.jpg

Please keep Charlie in your thoughts, the next few weeks will be crucial.

Update:

Allergic my foot in parsley! He almost mugs Sandy for the raw :biggrin: stands guard at the fridge for food, if she opens the fridge there is a seriously big brown eyed appealing face complete with 'the whimpers'! icon_blshing No signs of skin (or any other) reaction so far, bearing in mind there are no chemical baths or steroids going in now.

Today he had fresh raw minced road kill rabbit due to Sandy's hubby :( which was scoffed in no time and had his Dermacton spray/cream massaged in - which he loved and made his skin a lot softer, cooler and less red. Top marks to Aromesse for supplying his treatment too! He has already sussed that this stuff is comforting and no longer runs for cover when the spray and pot are produced, that in itself is a huge improvement.

New pics for you

Charley1003.jpg

Charley1010.jpg

Charley1020.jpg

Poor wee tail! :(

Sandy's post today
"By heck he took some waking up this morning, I thought he was a gonner icon_blshing Then I remembered he had a very busy day yesterday and was up late barking at the telly while watching the hyenas in the elephant programme :sl*p: He's looking and feeling very sticky with all his cream stuff on but as I applied another lot this morning I noticed for the first time since Saturday that his skin is lovely and cool where before it was burning red hot in quite a few of the affected areas, Also the cream has softened a lot of the scabs and I've been able to scrape them out along with a lot of dead hair, especially around his muzzle area. It's very much like the mud fever horses get where the hair clumps together and scabs over. I'll give him a weekly bath using his new shampoo bar at the weekend, that'll freshen him up :biggrin:"

But as I pointed out this wee chap probably hasn't been sleeping properly due to his hot and itchy skin. Hopefully this is the beginning of a new life for Charlie.

Oh bless him :) And bless you for obviously making this little guys life so much more comfy.cl*p
Praying he'll make a full recovery

Come on Charlie:rah: I am rooting for you! Thank you so much for helping a special needs Cavalier. That is a hard thing to do and I am so thankful he is in your care

Bless you for helping this poor little fellow. Please keep us posted with his progress. It looks as though you are going to have a bit of a battle on your hands to get Charlie fit and well.

One year ago we rescued a little girl called Dotty, her skin was very red, sore and very dry. We got her onto a totally natural diet, meat, ground bone and veg. Dotty was nowhere near as bad as your Charlie but within approx 8 months, her skin and coat were in great condition. So your point about feeding is very interesting.

So good luck and will watch Charlies progress with great interest. Thank you for posting. cl*p

Poor little Charlie. Thank goodness he seems to be doing so much better so soon, that has to be a good sign for him. :xfngr:
Hope he continues on his road to recovery, will you keep us posted?

Of course I will update regularly, but I'm so laughing here because "Charlie Farley" is what his fostermum is calling him! :grin:

I am so relieved you all have this adorable boy...and aren't vaccinating the you-know-what out of him anymore ;) I've seen several dogs who have come into rescue in this condition and you would never know it to look at them now!! You are definitely on the right path to making this boy whole again. I have no doubt he had the best sleep last night that he's probably ever had! Can't wait to watch him progress under your incredibly capable and loving care.

Glad he seems in some part to be on the mend. :flwr:

I wonder if perhaps he is actually partly deaf? In every dog I have encountered that was 'hard to wake up', that's the main reason.

The larger worry I would have is that what is being seen is an effect, *not* the problem in itself, and that he has a deeper underlying health issue. Hopefully his mange will clear -- all rescues deal regularly with that as par for the course in rescue dogs, and while it is a hassle because of the time involved, it isn't usually a major problem, just a headache. But going by the list of things he has been treated for, there's been ongoing eye, skin and ear problems as well as GI, and the need for a lot of pain and inflammation treatment. To me in a dog so young that signals perhaps you are dealing with something more serious -- has he been checked by someone familiar with autoimmune problems, dry eye/curly coat, etc? Some of what you describe sounds like dry eye/curly coat, which is very serious, causes a lot of suffering for the dog, and many will put down puppies rather than have them live with the suffering this causes. Generally eventually the dog just cannot take any more and needs to be given his/her wings. How familiar have the consulting vets been with cavalier health problems and are they aware of these breed-associated problems?

Personally I'd find it hard to believe a hypoallergenic food could be 'feeding' the problem and increasing his issues but that's me. If it is true that he definitely isn't deaf yet actually wouldn't even respond initially to the foster in the morning, I'd also be concerned that this is far more serious in aggregate than the surface treatments so far for specific elements indicate. I simply cannot see how he would be so tired that he wouldn't wake up to such a degree that she thought he might be dead. :yikes

Overall: I'd want to know the longer story of what he has been treated FOR and WHY, rather than what he has been treated WITH (as these are all standard approaches to some common issues but could indicate regular misdiagnosis of something more serious too). It is a shame he went through three series of full injections -- does that mean the whole puppy series three times? Or three sets of vaccines (which would actually be normal for a dog -- puppy series of two, one year booster). And unless there was serious malnutrition and neglect behind those problems (doesn't seem to be?), I'd probably be getting him into a university vet school because I think you may be looking at a more serious underlying problem. Best of luck in treating him and hope it isn't a lager problem and that he makes a full recovery and can go on to a forever home. :flwr:

Oh Eileen, that photo of him with the collar on and those big eyes just melt your heart.:l*v:
Please keep us posted , he's such a poor wee soul.

bless little charlie, and you, for taking him 'under your wing':)
i have seen similar cases here, some looking just as bad as the pictures of charlie.
they all improved a lot with the right kind of food and TLC.

:hug: for you and charlie.

Well done for giving him a chance, Eileen. Even if he has more serious problems, as Karlin fears, at least you are making him more comfortable for the time being.

Do keep posting on the little fella. My old Megan had a bad case of mange a few years ago (from local foxes). It was never as bad as poor Charlie's, but still took around 5 months to fully recover and certainly not anything I would want to repeat with any dog ever :(

Is there anywhere we can contribute towards his care if anyone wants to help in this way?

We took Charlie on (with vet's agreement) knowing his full veterinary history (14 x A4 pages of it!) critically, for us, because he was being considered for euthanasia at that point.

He was refused by several rescues (including ours) before we offered this space to him on the understanding his treatment would not be conventional. He still may not survive, he may have an underlying condition, but we will give him a chance and some quality time being treated as much like a normal dog as possible. Should he survive and do well he has a home for life.

*IF* this detox works, he will be blood panel tested to rule in or out Hydrothyroidism etc and blood will also be taken for titre testing. No other intrusive work will be done, it's about Charlie's quality of life for how ever long he's got. Unfortunately, although understandably, he had a morbid fear of vets and being handled, and had become a bit snappy at the vets. Luckily cavaliers don't hold grudges and he is now enjoying being handled and massaged with cream.

Other than one bout of conjunctivitis, Charlie was a fairly normal puppy up to 5/6 months old when the localised demodex problem first arose around his muzzle. From the start it was treated aggressively with steroids, antibiotics and baths, rather than waiting to see if his immune system could repair itself and control the mites naturally, or if the condition would generalise. Since then it has been a steady downhill slide. Boosters were given at 1 year and 2 year on both occasions concurrent with steroid treatment.

He has had primary vaccination (x 2) @ 7.5 weeks and 9.5 weeks respectively, first and second annual boosters.

Is there anywhere we can contribute towards his care if anyone wants to help in this way?

Thank you for the very kind offer Wagtails (y), but Charlie honestly doesn't need anything at the moment. When Aromesse saw his pics they kindly donated his creams, sprays and ear lotion, we are very grateful for that. :flwr:

My first reaction when reading about this boy was to think Dry Eye/Curly Coat. The eye ulcers and skin scabs are a typical symptom of this.

There is a non intrusive test which can be easily done next time he is at the vet's. Just ask for a tear count or Schirmer Test. This is done by inserting a piece of thin paper coated card next to the tear duct, something like litmus and then counting the numbers on the scale for exactly one minute, which then gives the rate of tear production from the eye.

15 per minute is a good average count. Lower could indicate DE because without the lubrication given by the natural production of tears every time the eyelids brush against the surface of the eye it's like a piece of sandpaper being rubbed on the cornea. I have slight dry eye myself due to age and I can tell you it feels like you have a piece of grit in the eye and is very unpleasant.

The scabs and hot spots are a typical symptom of Curly Coat too, and can be dealt with quite well by using creams such as the one you have mentioned.

Regular vaccinations and the feeding of processed foods have no connection with CC/DE, which is a genetic and inherited disease.

This dog may have 36 odd pages of veterinary history, but I think you should take into account that DE/CC is still comparatively rare enough for most GP vets to know little or nothing about it. It takes an experienced opthalmologist to make a positive diagnosis and produce a treatment regime suitable for that particular dog, which is then passed on to the GP vet providing routine care.

The Schirmer Test can be done quickly and easily by the local vet and I really think you should get this done.

My first reaction when reading about this boy was to think Dry Eye/Curly Coat. The eye ulcers and skin scabs are a typical symptom of this.

There is a non intrusive test which can be easily done next time he is at the vet's. Just ask for a tear count or Schirmer Test. This is done by inserting a piece of thin paper coated card next to the tear duct, something like litmus and then counting the numbers on the scale for exactly one minute, which then gives the rate of tear production from the eye.

15 per minute is a good average count. Lower could indicate DE because without the lubrication given by the natural production of tears every time the eyelids brush against the surface of the eye it's like a piece of sandpaper being rubbed on the cornea. I have slight dry eye myself due to age and I can tell you it feels like you have a piece of grit in the eye and is very unpleasant.

The scabs and hot spots are a typical symptom of Curly Coat too, and can be dealt with quite well by using creams such as the one you have mentioned.

Regular vaccinations and the feeding of processed foods have no connection with CC/DE, which is a genetic and inherited disease.

This dog may have 36 odd pages of veterinary history, but I think you should take into account that DE/CC is still comparatively rare enough for most GP vets to know little or nothing about it. It takes an experienced opthalmologist to make a positive diagnosis and produce a treatment regime suitable for that particular dog, which is then passed on to the GP vet providing routine care.

The Schirmer Test can be done quickly and easily by the local vet and I really think you should get this done.

Thanks, I am aware of Dry Eye, I have a cocker with the condition as well as having previously treated a cavalier with it.

Thanks, I am aware of Dry Eye, I have a cocker with the condition as well as having previously treated a cavalier with it.

With respect, I am talking about Dry Eye/Curly Coat, which is a much more serious condition than Dry Eye alone. Do you have any experience of that?

With respect, I am talking about Dry Eye/Curly Coat, which is a much more serious condition than Dry Eye alone. Do you have any experience of that?

Sorry perhaps I should have been clearer but then I have the vet reports to read through. Charlie's does NOT suffer from dry eye and HAS been tested, on 27/01/2010. In fact his foster mum was concerned about the amount of water/tears coming from his eyes on Monday.

Back