• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Charlie our "Test Case" Spaniels In Need

Update on Charlie and the best news - he is staying in Devon with Sandy forever!

Latest pics of Charley attached, it looks like it's one final push as the toxins move to his little face, he looks a bit like an old man at the moment but this is where the problems first started and apparently this is where it will all end, so I think we are almost there. In himself he's feeling right chipper and I think I've sealed his fate as I ordered a new Indigo Collar Tag with our info on for his collar, think that says it all don't you (y)
I have given his previous owner the chance to have him back but she decided he would be happier in Devon with us and I wasn't going to argue.

Those very sore paws are no more
sunday20005.jpg

Lovely glistening coat over his back now too :D
sunday20003.jpg

The rat tail will soon be a thing of the past cl*p
sunday20013.jpg

Looking like an old man but feeling and acting like a teenager :D
sunday20009.jpg

So it's taken just 37 days to almost rid Charley of over 2 years of poisons and drugs which no doubt would have killed him if it had been allowed to continue and this little chap was going to be pts as no one was prepared to continue paying out for conventional veterinary treatment because of the costs involved. What did it cost us, in total, less than £60 for essential blood work from my vet who never even charged a consult fee, some eye ointment, a few pounds for some natural remedies, good wishes and the kindness of so many people of which we are eternally grateful for, oh and I mustn't forget a very important ingredient....a raw diet! Give him another month and that little face should be good as new :D
Please see earlier pics and the state he was in when he arrived :yikes
Three cheers for Charley Farley I say! :D :pi*no:

Sandy & Charley x

:wggle::wggle::wggle::wggle:

What a lovely (almost) ending to this story. Why almost? Well, we will definitely need to see his face when that has resolved like the rest of him so we can truly appreciate what a handsome chap he is.:luv:

:wggle::wggle::wggle::wggle:

What a lovely (almost) ending to this story. Why almost? Well, we will definitely need to see his face when that has resolved like the rest of him so we can truly appreciate what a handsome chap he is.:luv:

I promise lots of pics, we were told it would take 6 months of detox but we now think it will be around 3. I for one can't wait to see him in full coat and know he's had a clear skin scrape and got the all clear from the vet! :luv:

Last edited:
Charlie is looking great Eileen, we're so pleased he has been given this chance. Sometimes it pays to "think outside the box" in terms of treatment.

We hope he continues to thrive in Sandy's care. Good on her for all the love and care she has given him and I'm sure he'll do well in his forever home. He is so adoreable:lotsaluv: and we look forward to more photos of his progress,

how wonderful! :D thank you for sharing his story, and for the pictures.
it is quite amazing so much has changed in this little man over such a relatively short period of time.

i am looking forward to new pictures... :)

This news has made my day - no, my whole month!!:jump:

Can't wait to see the next batch of photos. Meanwhile, keep battling on Charlie and enjoy a whole new world out there with your lovely new mum

Butterfly13.gif

Excellent news, it certainly makes you think about conventional veterinary medicine, take away the pills and poisons and doggie heal thyself!

It's so heart warming to keep seeing these updates!

Glad you have decided to keep Charlie!!!

Thats a win win situation for Charley. Its fantastic to see how well he is doing and I'm thrilled that he will be staying put with Sandy. She has worked wonders with him - he looks so much better and so much happier.

Yayayayayayaayay! Yayayayayaay!

That's all I can say! Job well done! Another hero on the board.
If I decide to move to raw diet for Gracie, who has lower bowel issues, I sure would love to get your advice on how to move forward with that. You have certainly become an expert in natural diet and remedies.

Hello Deb

There are a few of us that feed raw ,my four girls have been on a raw diet for over 12 months .Tea tonight was chicken liver and assorted veggie and lots of other goodies.

Charlie's face is now beginning to improve, he had 3 skin scrapes yesterday and we are awaiting the results. The vet was most impressed by his improving condition and although his face still looks very sore in places he is sure "the treatment" is working, so sure in fact he even gave Sandy some Manuka Honey to spread on a crack in the skin of his wee face. :badgrin:

Sandy has been raw feeding her pack (10 dogs now, various breeds/types - yikes!) for over 8 years, she has a wealth of experience and lots of notes to fall back on. She always has time for people who are interested in starting feeding in a more natural way. I started 3 or 4 years ago after discussing Billy Bracken the coeliac (celiac) cocker's problems with her.

I'm so glad for him, I'm also curious about feeding raw but as I am an almost vegetarian (I personally just don't like meat) I do not know if I could do it as I am not used to handling raw meat although I used to fish many years ago and had no problems gutting/cleaning them.

Best news!! No demodex, dead or alive, on the skin scrapes!

His face is much improved BUT as usual as one thing improves another erupts, this time his ear which has had another eruption of gunge just on the outer ear. This has been bathed and dusted with Thornits so we'll see how it goes. Clearly his immune system is still not up to full strength.

@ James
It is difficult to feed raw if your morals don't approve, but you could buy frozen from PAH which means you don't have to handle any raw meat.

Back