• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cooler bedding ideas for warmer weather??

GraciesMom

We are having a real warm spell (like late spring!) and Gracie seems to think her bed is too warm. She usually uses a fleece lined soft bed with thick stuffing. Any ideas on a cooler bedding? Maybe put a cotton sheet over her bed?

While looking for 'warming beds' recently, I noticed that when Googled, most of the warming bed sites also have 'cooling' beds. I've heard that many Cavaliers don't tole rate the heat well. Claire was such a puppy last Summer I can't say this is an issue for her yet.

I know that I will have to replace her crate mat it's one that warms up with body heat, so I'm sure she won't appreciate that this Summer.

Cindy and Claire

We've got something like this - even though we don't get too much heat as a rule last summer was very hot, and Pippin has a lot of coat so feels the heat. We used it most for travelling, especially long journeys, to help keep him cool in the car. He loved it. We're going to get a second one if we have another hot summer, so we can have one in the house and one in the car all the time. In winter we just cover it with a normal bed.

Thanks all!

I was able to cover her crate pad with a cool cotton sheet and that is working for now. But not all that hot so will check into the Cool Bed for summer. It gets brutal heer sometimes.

A cool bed is a great idea...when we had a heat wave in Sydney a few weeks ago, I put frozen ice packs in her kennel outside as well as inside so she could curl up to them if she wanted. Get the kind that are really hard plastic on the outside and cover with a sheet. Also, give lots of ice things...like ice cubes, freeze chicken stock in ice cube trays, frozen carrots, etc. Sometimes I will even freeze her kibble and she is happy happy.

Also, Brooklyn LOVES our tile floors. We let her sleep there in the bathroom if it is too hot and she is fine.

Winter beds and summer beds are a must though...Australia is going into winter soon so I need to be looking for the warm beds! :rolleyes:

Forgot to add that Misha will only use the Cool Bed with the linen sheet that you have to buy extra. He would not use it before we had the fitted sheet, but now it's one of his favorite beds. Leave it to a Cavalier to make their own very specific bedding choices!

A cool bed is a great idea...when we had a heat wave in Sydney a few weeks ago, I put frozen ice packs in her kennel outside as well as inside so she could curl up to them if she wanted. Get the kind that are really hard plastic on the outside and cover with a sheet. Also, give lots of ice things...like ice cubes, freeze chicken stock in ice cube trays, frozen carrots, etc. Sometimes I will even freeze her kibble and she is happy happy.

Also, Brooklyn LOVES our tile floors. We let her sleep there in the bathroom if it is too hot and she is fine.

Winter beds and summer beds are a must though...Australia is going into winter soon so I need to be looking for the warm beds! :rolleyes:

Pillow Talk have some great quality donut beds. You can get them when they have a special on for a good price. They have all different sizes. I got two large ones and my two love them.

Temporary fix until I get a cool bed...

I got a doggy bed that will allow Gracie to stretch out more and put a cool cotton pillow case on it. She LOVED it! I made sure it was really tucked in all round so no wrinkles. Being able to stretch out is a cooler position too. When she got really warm, I even put the pillow case in the freezer for a bit and she was in HEAVEN!

But looking forward to getting the cool bed for summer even though it is back to being back to normal winter temps here again.

Back